roseycheeks
Green Thumb

Hybrid Tea Rose(Peace)

Here is rosey, she is doing quite well as you can see, can anyone tell me how much taller she will have to get before blooming? She has leaves coming on and she sure looks healthy.Image

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

I have tea roses and they bloom at most heights over 6" so I don't think height has a lot to do with the bloom per see. :?

It is hard to tell in the picture exactly how tall Rosey is but I would think she would bloom this year if she hasn't before unless something else is the problem.

That said, I'm not a rose expert either - Just a rose enthusiast. :)

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

Here is a picture to show how tall she is now.ImageShe is about 6 inches tall and as you can see leafing out beautifully!

imafan26
Mod

Peace is a grafted rose. Are your shoots coming from above the bud union or below it. If it is coming from above your ok. I only saw one strong cane in the picture and it looks like it has some die back.

If the shoots are coming from below the bud union, it may be the rootstock. It will grow vigorously but may not bloom. You want to cut that off since you want to channel growth to the canes above the bud union.

Roses are heavy feeders. If you want to be organic, fish emulsion every week works well otherwise, I would give it a slow release fertilizer and supplement with miracle grow for acid loving plants.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

All except the cane in back are coming from above the bud union.

imafan26
Mod

You should cut off any canes coming from the root stock below the bud union. They are usually very vigorous canes, but are not going to be Peace. I had an Abraham Lincoln that just put out long canes and no blooms until I realized that they were all coming from the root stock. I now have a Robert Strauss in its' place.

Gilcano

I'm new to roses, I bought one and planted it. Lets see.

8)

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

I checked and all of the new growth is above the bud union. Here is an updated picture, I would say she is doing quite well.Image

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

Here is what I found when I went out this morning, as you can probably tell I was very excited!Image :-()The white stuff you see is not spider mite webs, it is cotton from the tree in front.

imafan26
Mod

Roses are heavy feeders so make sure that you fertilize regularly. It will also help with growth. Roses usually bloom in 6 week cycles. My roses are just finishing their cycle now and I have to feed them again.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

Would Jobe fertilizer stakes work? Here she is this morning, I also have Miracle-gro that you add to water, I just can't figure out how much to give her, I don't want to do anything to hurt her just as she is doing good. I know that I obsess about my flowers but I do a lot of work to them and just want to have the healthiest flowers I can, but like a lot of people I am not financially able to give them exactly what they need. So do you think that the Miracle-Gro will help? How much and how frequently do I do it?Image

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

updated picture, this does not look like a Peace rose, at least not the one I thought it was supposed to be. Could it just be a peace rose but a different color? Someone please help me out, I am glad it is healthy but can't figure out why it is red instead of pink.ImageI thought it was going to be bigger.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

first bloom on Rosey, she is not the color it said on the tag, but she is healthy and blooming, I am wondering, as she gets bigger will the blooms get bigger too? And also I bought some Jobe's fertilizer spikes for houseplants, would it benefit Rosey to get one too?Image

New Girl

Rosey is beautiful!

Did it say on the packet that it would be a certain color, or did you just assume because of a picture?

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

It said it was a peace rose and would be pink with yellow on the edges, I have a question, I was thinking(scary I know) would it hurt the rose if I went out and checked the canes now? I am going to be off for 30 days and I thought since it is cold and rosey is asleep, could I cut the canes that might be coming from below the rootstock off so it will bloom the right color and shape? I don't want to kill her but I would like to see if the canes are coming from below or above, advice please.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

I think this rose might be Mr.Lincoln, it is the same color as that and it is blooming like crazy! :-() I took a picture of one of the blooms to show you and maybe someone can tell me if I am right, I looked at some web pages and that is what I think it is. Can someone tell me if I am correct or not. I know it is not Peace but it is pretty and I have had several compliments on it. I give it lake water quite a bit and I think that is why it has grown so good, it has fish stuff in it and a whole lot of other stuff that seems to be helping the rose. Here is a picture of one of the blooms.
Maybe Mr.Lincoln tea rose?
Maybe Mr.Lincoln tea rose?

Return to “Rose Forum”