Surferjo
Newly Registered

Need help Landscaping my Waterfall.

I been lurking on this forum for a bit now. A lot of really useful info here. I'm having a problem and I could really use some others opinions.

We have this waterfall in going into the pool. Its very large, much larger than I anticipated actually, but 9 tons of ugly long island granite later and here we are (if you cant tell by now I don't really like the way it turned out).

I'm trying to "soften" this monstrosity up a bit. It has 2 tiers that circle around the back that are about 2 feed in width and the dirt goes all the way to the ground.

I like grasses, we are planting the rest of the pool area in few weeks and it will consist of (mostly) various beach/ornamental grasses. I'm open to anthing that will help blend and soften this into the background a bit. I would prefer to not use deciduous plants/trees just because the leaves will eventually blow/fall into the pool BUT.... if that type of landscaping will work best for my goal ill do it.

Thanks in advance for the Help

Joey

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Interesting challenge, but you REALLY need to tell us where you are, before anyone could make any suggestions. Is the area in full sun all day? Are you prepared to have to water things daily in the heat of summer (or can you rig up some kind of drip irrigation system to channel some of the waterfall water onto the rocks)?

Surferjo
Newly Registered

Sorry, yes I should have listed that information.

I live in Zone 6 (Long Island, NY) I already have the 3 zones run into my pool area and conduits run up into each tier for waterfall. Ill decide on heads or drip depending on what I plant.

Its in a full sun area.

applestar
Mod

It's really a shame that it didn't turn out the way you like.

I'm no expert in such matters, but I remember when I was playing with some rocks in an aborted/uncompleted project to create a tiny waterfall and a stream a couple of years ago, I felt that rocks with sharp corners and flat surfaces (like flagstones and granite flakes) seemed unnatural in a waterfall. I ended up positioning some large rounded river rocks and stones to hide the sharper edges to simulate more like water-eroded boulders and rocks. Placing differently shaped rocks in the various levels of the waterfall changed the sounds the falling water made.

Does this waterfall drain into the pool -- I.e. chlorinated filtered water? -- or is there a hidden drain edge and the water is filtered but untreated and recirculated?

Surferjo
Newly Registered

The water from the fall comes from the pool and goes back into the pool. THe planted area of the waterfall is already set up for sprinkler heads (non chlorinated water) and already hooked up to my sprinkler manifold.

Yeah lesson learned on this one. It's not awful I just wish it wasn't so big. I also would have used moss rock instead of granite.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

One thing that might be nice would be to plant some ferns on the inside behind the waterfall, make it like a fern grotto. Being on the inside curve, should give some shade for the ferns and humidity from the waterfall.

Another thing that might help soften the too big, pile of rock sitting on concrete look, would be to have some plantings not just on it, but around it, in containers.

For plant suggestions, do a search on "tropical looking plants for zone 6" and you will find some interesting articles.

applestar
Mod

Ooh good idea! There are some winter hardy (non edible/ornamental) bananas and palms and maybe clumping/non-running bamboo for the planting bed along the fence too. If you want, you could put edible dwarf bananas in containers to bring inside during winter.

Surferjo
Newly Registered

I love the idea of ferns but I'm afraid the refelction off the white PVC fence and the heat the rocks would hold/give off my be to much for them.

I'm thinking of using some Pampas and Calamagrostis Karl Foerster around the 10 and 2 locations and on the front of the 2 tiers some ELEPHANT EAR - COLOCASIA 'Black Beauty'. and going around the back some Lavender Phenomenal alternated with some Muhlenbergia capillaris or Little Bluestem
Blue Heaven (but I think the blue heaven may get a bit too high)

Ok, let me know where I'm going wrong?

LA47
Green Thumb

I think it would help if you placed a few of the same stones irregularly near the waterfall in the beds with the plants you mentioned planted around them. It may help to tie the waterfall to the surrounding area.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Nice idea, LA, I like it! :)

I love the idea of ferns but I'm afraid the reflection off the white PVC fence and the heat the rocks would hold/give off my be to much for them.

Agree on the outside in the sun. I still think you could do them on the inside, behind the waterfall.

Surferjo
Newly Registered

rainbowgardener wrote:Nice idea, LA, I like it! :)

I love the idea of ferns but I'm afraid the reflection off the white PVC fence and the heat the rocks would hold/give off my be to much for them.

Agree on the outside in the sun. I still think you could do them on the inside, behind the waterfall.

Ill give the ferns a try. I live the tropical look of them. I love the Ostrich Hardy Fern. They get so big.

I'm going to pick up a few of them.

Thanks

Return to “Landscaping”