tomf
Super Green Thumb

My wife hit a tree!

She did not break anything or tear up her knees, but she is black and blue, and sore as all H. The helmet she had on is dented on top, I think the helmet saved her life. She was going a bit fast when she hit some ice and then some packed crusty snow. She did break one of her new and very expensive skis. I am so happy she is not to badly hurt, skis can be repalced but she can't.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I am glad that she isn't badly hurt.

Were you there to see it? If so, I bet you were scared for her.

LA47
Green Thumb

Ouch! I'm glad she wasn't seriously hurt and hope she heals quickly.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

[quote="Marlingardener"]Wish her a quick recovery from all of us. She can be a poster child for ski helmets!
Who the heck planted a tree right in the middle of a ski run, or near a ski run, or on the same mountain?[/quote]

I have that problem with tunnels.

Hope she recovers quickly Tom. I'm really glad it was more serious.

Jardin du Fort

Commiseration and blessings for a speedy recovery!

applestar
Mod

(broken ski) ...Is her knee OK? I hope she feels better soon.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Thanks all, she is one sore kid today, but she will be better. Knees are ok, it gets harder to heal the older we get.
I went with some friends down a steep run and she went around thinking the snow would be better. When she did not show up at the lift I got worried and skied real fast down the trail I thought she was on. Turns out she went another way and we figured she went in to take care of some thing. People tell me that they like skiing the trees, I say ski the spaces between them, not the trees.

imafan26
Mod

I hope she feels better soon.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

It looks like she did not break anything and will be better in a week or so, this could have been real bad. Her skis were on a warranty and the ski shop is turning them in to the maker for a new pair, my bank account will be happy about that. Poor kid is having a problem sleeping as she hurts so much.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

>>this could have been real bad.

...nominated for understatement of the year. see S. Bono, M. Kennedy, et. al.

being an east coast skier, in my more daring days I on rare occasion took a, hmmm, errr, 'detour' thru the woods. I'm so brittle now, I don't even think about Triple Diamond mogul filled ice all over stuff... trees? those I leave for the birds.

going off a groomed piste is most definitely not recommended for any but the extremely experienced. first time I plowed off into deep powder took me a hour to find the other ski....

>>helmet
smart cookie. hope she's back up and at'em soon.
never wore a helmet, got lucky.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Dillbert, I was from Mass and learned to ski on the ice of NH as a kid. Not much for open woods there, more like brush. Skiing in the west is very different, big mountains and lots of off trail skiing.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Update; she is still a bit sore but is going to go skiing this week. The tree is doing fine as well. :wink:
Rossignol, the company that made here skis gave her a new pair, and they are the newest ones, her's old ones were last years. It is nice to see a company stand behind what they make. I got her a new helmet, a pretty blue one.
Some pictures of her new skis; I am posting them as they are so girlie and pretty.
They are fat so as to ski deep powder, and made for off trail skiing mostly, she has some other skis for on trail skiing, not as cool looking although.
Top side;
Bottom side;

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

good for her!

here's a giggle.... we had not be skiing in 6-7 years. dear daughter had a light bulb go off, so we packed up and met her at the slope.

I showed up sporting 210 Rossis.
last I heard the slope operator was considering legal action for all the damages people caused from me putting them into uncontrollable fits of laughter . . . .

parents were whispering into their kids ears with long outstretched fingers . . .

I may be uphill, but definitely behind the times!

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I have some old school skis, I will make benches out of them. Things have changed a lot.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

I've seen "Adirondack" style chairs made with old skis. cute. not on my porch, but cute.

I can remember plowing through word by syllable many of the ski magazines, looking for "new & better" stuff. what I have heard is the shorties do more better than the longies due to "better materials"

okay, not sure what was invented in the interim. carbon fiber was well established in the multiple-meter ski era.

on the east coast, it was always the toss up of g-s vs sal vs cruisers, etc with really good edge hold (read: ice.) that sort of narrow waisted flexing edge just didn't git it in powder.

back then, the double tipped stuff was "trick skis" - apparently the basic design has become mainstream via magic materials/design/engineering.

dunno. but I figure in the short term, I'm gonna learn....

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”