sewfunquilting
Newly Registered

Can old ceiling tiles be used as mulch?

I have a quite a few used ceiling tiles. Can I lay them around the plants in my gardens as mulch?

I don't know what 30 year old ceiling tiles might have been made out of.

Thank You ..... Lola

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm not as purist as some people, but even so I would hesitate at that.

30 years ago it is possible they still had asbestos in them.

Even if not, they have:

Ceiling panels are composed of inorganic substances including MMVF22 [(slag wool) man made vitreous (silicate) fibres (CAS 65997-17-3)] and/or MMVF34 [(stone wool) Roxul® 1000 (HT) mineral fibres], expanded perlite (CAS 93763-70-3), clay (kaolin, CAS 1332-58-7), and recycle paper (CAS 9004-34-6) using starch (CAS 9005-25-8) binder to form a solid dry matrix.

The vitreous silicate fibers is like fiberglass. It is irritating to the skin and bad for you to breathe.

In the meantime it is all inorganic and so does not benefit your soil at all. Your soil will benefit from organic mulch - grass clippings, fall leaves, wood chips, shredded paper, compost, etc.

Meatburner

Would never ever ever consider using them as a mulch. That has no place in a garden IMO.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Would never consider it either.

sewfunquilting
Newly Registered

Thank you for your replies. At first glance it sounded like a good idea to place square ceiling tiles around plants for mulch and giving them perfect spacing. I had second thoughts which led me to posting the question where I knew I would get good advice.

I was really surprised to read what they are made of! I will dump the tile idea and continue using mulch that I know is "only" organic.

Thank you again for your help.

Lola

Return to “Composting Forum”