mattie g
Green Thumb

#@%$!#@ Squirrels

Ate upwards of four dozen peaches off our tree in the last couple days. By the time I realized it this morning, only four were left. Within an hour after I noticed it, two more had been stolen. I'd imagine they're all gone by now. They just don't seem to give a dang that my pit mix would have them for a snack if he got hold of them!

The only solace I take in this is that I planted the tree last year and wasn't really expecting a crop until year three. Still, it's really @&%# disappointing to see them all gone so quickly.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Luckily for the squirrels we live in a suburban neighborhood and can't use them as target practice with a .22...

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Have you had reports of any bears in your neighborhood? That seems like a lot of peaches for squirrels to eat, unless you have much larger squirrels than we do in Oregon. :lol:

mattie g
Green Thumb

Kisal wrote:Have you had reports of any bears in your neighborhood? That seems like a lot of peaches for squirrels to eat, unless you have much larger squirrels than we do in Oregon. :lol:
:lol:

Well...the peaches were obviously still young, so they didn't have as much meat to them. But my guess is the word got out and there were a few families that got into the act.

We don't have any other wildlife in this suburb that could have gotten into the tree to eat them. We have plenty of deer around, but they don't wander out of the woods down the street, plus the tree had peaches up to nearly 10' off the ground which a deer couldn't get to. Besides, some evidence was strewn around the yard: little peaches with scrape-type bites all around the young pits. Some of them had been completely eaten all the way down to the pit, and some only partially eaten.

After a couple minutes of discussion and deliberation, the jury of one man, one woman, and one dog came back with a unanimous guilty verdict on the squirrels!

gardenpal717
Newly Registered

For us it isn't eating our fruit that the squirrels do. They like to dig in our gardens and plant the seeds from the black walnut trees from my next door neighborhood. I learned that black walnut trees are toxic!! The roots release a toxin, as do their leaves and nuts. Beware.

Gardenpal717

mattie g
Green Thumb

Rather than start a new thread, I figured I'd bunmp this to see if I can get any help on how to keep from running into the same problem I had last year with the squirrels eating our peaches (and possibly our plums). And yes...it was definitely squirrels - not some other creature(s) - eating those fruit.

The trees are about 15' from the nearest fence, with no way for squirrels to get to and from the trees without crossing over open lawn. I was thinking of putting up some sort of barrier around the trunk of the tree since that's their only form of access to the fruit, but what kind of barrier would folks suggest? Keep in mind that I have a dog, so laying down a minefield isn't a viable option! :wink:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Good luck with that.... in my experience, in the long run, the squirrels always win! :evil:

I'm on my work computer right now so can't access any of it (thankfully the powers that be at work haven't figured out to ban THG yet! :) ), but google

squirrel running obstacle course

and you will find some amazing video of the powers of squirrels!

mattie g
Green Thumb

I'll have to look into those videos, rainbow, and I have no doubts about the ability and determination of squirrels to get at the food they're looking for.

But I'm bound and determined to save my peaches this year. I have a pretty big fence....maybe my neighbors won't notice if a pellet gun "somehow" gets unloaded into a squirrel or two. :twisted:

applestar
Mod

I will robably have to think about this too.
How big is your tree? Mine is about 8ft tall by maybe 6-7 ft across -- a little big to be enclosed by net?

When I had a battery operated electric fence around the apple tree -- a simple two wire job 6" and 24" off the ground about 4" in front of a rabbit fence -- to keep out the groundHOGs, I saw a squirrel do a back flip off the top wire. It tried it one more time in case it was imagination, and flew off even further... And didn't come back again.

mattie g
Green Thumb

Apple...I pruned it about six weeks or so to about 8' tall and 8' wide, fairly wine glass-shaped. It's only a few years old, and I'd never pruned it before, so I figured I'd keep the pruning simple for now and see what happened.

Neither the peach nor the plum are close enough to any other trees or a fence for the squirrels to jump into them from elsewhere, so they have to get into them by going up the trunk. I was thinking that putting something on/around the trunk (pigeon spikes?) might be a decent deterrent.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's a starting spot. But you understand a squirrel can jump six feet straight up in to the air and land on a branch...

mattie g
Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:It's a starting spot. But you understand a squirrel can jump six feet straight up in to the air and land on a branch...
I'll believe it when I see it.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

Hummm Roast squirrel with peach marinade!! sounds good!

mattie g
Green Thumb

Update:

I used bird netting on my peach tree to great effect in keeping the squirrels from poaching my peaches. Unfortunately, it didn't do anything to keep the stinkbugs from getting into them and causing nearly all of the fruit (like 98%) to rot before they were ripe enough to be picked.

If it's not one thing, it's another...

Return to “All Other Fruit”