IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

Greenhouse is complete!!

I know there is a greenhouse forum, but the greenhouse will house seedlings...

I still have some trim to finish, and shelves to build, but I did put my beans out in the greenhouse.

And here are my japs inside my grow room

Last edited by IndyGerdener on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cedillamuerta

Wow. That's incredibly smooth-looking. When I build my first greenhouse, I want it to look like that one :twisted:

Cola82
Green Thumb

Wow, that is so neat. It looks like it was super fun to set up, too. May it serve you well! :D

imafan26
Mod

Nice :P

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

There was a youtube video on step by step. I posted a link in the greenhouse section

And yes lots of fun!!! Shelves to build and the best part is I am planning a hydroponic set up!!!

LA47
Green Thumb

Great looking greenhouse! The japs look great too.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Good job looks great. Something to conside in the summer is growing vine crops up and over the greenhouse. If you replace the cover every year like me with a 6 mil plastic you can cover the vine crops in late fall with the outer layer of plastic and extend the vine crops for a month or more and pick from inside the greenhouse. Worked great for me last year with runner beans growing till dec!

MikeFIT

Looks awesome. Hope you have a great harvest!

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

Bobberman wrote:Good job looks great. Something to conside in the summer is growing vine crops up and over the greenhouse. If you replace the cover every year like me with a 6 mil plastic you can cover the vine crops in late fall with the outer layer of plastic and extend the vine crops for a month or more and pick from inside the greenhouse. Worked great for me last year with runner beans growing till dec!
I have a trellis hat I am going to set-up for my vine crops. I am thinking about my super hots staying in the greenhouse. They do better in a 100 degree area. and they like less water than we get in rain here in Indiana.

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

here is the walk-around just a quick one. a more in depth walk-around is coming.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFOLUVaALew

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

And now a sink

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Indy - really awesome. Great DIY project.

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

The sink was free too!!! Can't beat a free be

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Where are the water barrels. The water will also cool it in the summer! Looks good!

Gardener123
Green Thumb

I personally love it... but if I had that in my back yard, I would have some upset neighbors.

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

Why would they be upset?

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

I have running water now!!

Gardener123
Green Thumb

IndyGerdener wrote:Why would they be upset?
While we don't have a HOA, everybody keeps their property looking really great. I am sure to many, that would be an eyesore. We do have a lady with a greenhouse, but it is more of a professional greens house.... She probably paid $10,000 for it, though.

In my old house I would have made one like yours for sure. See, nobody where I live has fences, so anything you do is visible to everybody else. I put in a few weeping willows to give us some privacy from one neighbor, as he would be the one who would be most upset if I had one like yours.

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

Good thing it is you and not me. When it comes to those types of people I refuse to conform. as it stands I put it right behind my house as to not cause an eyesore from the street. I picked the location on purpose. and the only neighbor I have seen out this whole time is an old lady catty corner me.

She was looking out all the time when I was building it. Then the other day she came out to let her dog out and waved at me. (After the greenhouse was complete) I think that was an "I approve" wave. Everyone in this little neighborhood has a garden too. so I think they are appreciative of the work

Gardener123
Green Thumb

Well, while I did tell Indy that I couldn't have one of those - or wouldn't - I decided that I WILL have one of those. I found a place near me that carries the cattle panels, although they call them feedlot panels. I just have to figure out who I can pester to go with me to get them.... they won't fit in my minivan or Prius, LOL.

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

AWESOME DECISION!!!

When I went to get mine I strapped it on top of my Jeep Cherokee. I tied it down to the hitch in the back and up and over to the tow hooks on the front. It reminded me of the TIV (If anyone remembers Storm Chasers)

here are some things I figured out when I built mine:

-Remember that the panels have a top and bottom, when you arch the panels keep the rods that are running the short way on the panel on the inside of the greenhouse. This keeps the plastic from getting ripped on the edges of the rods. I have 2 with the short rods facing in and 1 facing out. Had alignment issues, but by that time it was to late, and I just managed.

-The plans call for a header above the door with a funky 1/2" square to some weird angle to make the hoop. Just have a slightly shorter door and keep that piece flat. WAY easier!!

-Put a block of wood under the panel edge to keep your spacing the same when you are stapling it to the bottom runner. I figured this out after fighting the whole first panel.

-I made my door open out instead of in. Then added a hook latch inside to keep the door shut while I was working inside. I also have door sag and expanding issues and I think I am going to have to re make the door a little more strong and braced.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions

Gardener123
Green Thumb

So, I have started to assemble the things I need, and my wife says, "You're junking up my yard". I replied " Well, it's on the side of the house and you don't go to that side of the house very often." She then said "You're going to piss Stan off." And then I said "Exactly."..... and the she laughed.

When we moved in, Stan told us that he is living in a class of people that are a few steps down from where he thinks he should be living.... What's funny is that he is just a government employee..... not some huge big moneymaker, or anything.

So this is where we live...... a development where everybody has 3200 - 4000 SF homes, and 1 acre of ground. The houses are 5 - 10 years old depending on what part of the development you are in. And the development isn't huge; I think it has about 35 houses.

Anyway, it will get built... but I met a guy in a farm store near me, and he builds these things on the side for profit ( well that's what he said ) .... and he gave me lots of suggestions on how to make it for less money and still be good, or pay more and have it much better. He even told me of a place where I can buy scratch and dent windows that would be $200 each, but he pays $30 - $40 because of the scratches and dents.

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

Awesome!! I want pictures and material lists!

here is my latest addition

and the heater my wife is scared of because of CO2.

dtlove129

If I didnt' have a wife I would have a greenhouse...haha. She wouldn't approve of it in my backyard. She doesn't even like my seedling being in the house right now, but I told her just a couple of more weeks until I can move them out to the garage. Where is your garden?

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

If you look close there is 2 wood stakes between the greenhouse and the fence. Those are the stakes I put down to show my landlord where my garden will be.

I am actually going to shift and add 5 more feet to the left in that picture.

Here is the other side of it. The actual garden will be approx 40' x 15'

Gardener123
Green Thumb

Indy, yours will still be better than what I build.... No water in mine unless I bring a hose in. The weather has been so awful that I have no desire to be outside, so until it breaks I likely won't be actually building it.

Gardener123
Green Thumb

OK, so, with the wife on board, I finally ordered the cattle panels.... slightly different in size..... 16' x 52".... they were somewhat "cheap"... at $27 each.... but the UV film was not so cheap.... about $90 for 100' roll. and the cost of the limber and misc.... I figure when all is said and done t will be $200. It should be a fun project. All the stuff will be in next Thursday for pickup.

EDIT: and having seen this built so many times, I think I see some improvements I can make over the original design...

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

Pictures when you get them!!!

Gardener123
Green Thumb

IndyGerdener wrote:Pictures when you get them!!!
Will do..... I can't wait, and I really need to get this thing built as these plants really need to get off my dining room table, LOL.

Bushman

Nice work! I love the sink set up. Now my brain is running on high! I just built my seed starting greenhouse indoors. Running a heat test now. I want something outside that is large where I can grow all my annuals every year along with my veggies.
Wish I had one attached to the house!

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

I have added a tarp strapped over the top at night. This has greatly increased the heat situation at night. It has also lowered the power consumption!!

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Guys/gals when you need stuff like lumber shop your big box store and look for warped or slightly damaged boards. Then talk to the senior manager on duty. Negotiate a deal. I worked for Lowe's for 7 years and learned a LOT about getting stuff really cheap. You would be amazed at the kinds of deals you can negotiate if you are willing to purchase less than perfect material.

BTW your green house is AWESOME!

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

Also if you really want to get it all donated you could prob get on craigslist and get most of the material for free

Gardener123
Green Thumb

If my stuff comes in on Thursday, I hope to have this thing built by the weekend, weather cooperating..... I really need to get these seedlings off my dining room table, LOL.

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

Yeah, I think I almost have enough faith in my heating strategy to put my prized plants out in my greenhouse!! When this happens I will open a TON of room in my grow room to start more stuff!!! it is almost time for tomatoes, peas and other fast growing plants!!

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

I added my irrigation system to the greenhouse and put alot of my peppers in the greenhouse as well!!! I sold all of my first round of Ghost peppers and am awaiting the sales for the rest. I am working with a local charity "Fall Creek Gardens" here in Indianapolis. They have asked me to provide them with plants for their display at a gardening show here in Indianapolis. They want me to sell my plants there!! I told them that if I did it I would donate 50% of my profits to them from any sales I have done for them. They basically teach inner city family's how to grow their own garden and have a community garden for them to access for free.

This whole gardening for business thing is working out ALOT better and faster than I had origionally expected.

ANYWAY here is the new pics of the greenhouse

Gardener123
Green Thumb

OK, I started mine yesterday. I spent about 3 hours on it, but it would have been less if I had had some help. Really all that is left to do is make a door and a window, and then put the film on. I would like to do the film today but it is really windy outside - like 20 MPH gusts. Enough to make a howl, anyway. :P

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

Yeah calm is necessary to stretch it... Also get some furring strips to screw down to the railing and ends over the plastic. Without it the plastic will tear through the staples in a small breeze. The strips screwed to the plastic is a good look, that also serves a purpose!!

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”