applestar
Mod

Yay! Got some planting done! :)

Yesterday, I soaked some peas and favas and then put them in seed sprouters for optimum sprouting conditions instead of putting them in paper towel/plastic bag because they are so easy to spoil once the tempertures start to get warm.

Since I needed to keep the varieties separate, I made a couple of extra sprouters out of plastic cups by copying the design -- radiating slits on the bottom with box cutter, slits enlarged with scissor blade, and top rim cut to create air gaps when suspended above an outer cup. Rinse the soaked seeds and then strain in the sprouter and drip dry. Cover with ventilated cover to maintain some humidity.

Today, I sowed two kinds of favas (Ianto's and Extra Precoce A Grano Violetto), two kinds of shelling garden peas (Karina and Little Marvel), and one kind of snow peas (Green Beauty) -- they were already starting to sprout. 8) Was going to sow a tall pole variety shelling pea (Tall Telephone Alderman), but ran out of time. Those were almost ready to sprout so they probably will be sprouted by tomorrow and I'll need to sow them no matter what.

...I'm wiped! That was a lot of shoveling the sand from the pile on the drive way, spreading compost, raking, smoothing, mounding rows, etc. but this bed was in good shape for planting -- Sowing the seeds was almost an afterthought.

But the entire time I was patting them down one last time (for good soil contact and to make sure I didn't forget to cover any) the grackles and redwinged blackbirds were calling from the top of the trees, announcing their return. I could almost FEEL their beady little eyes boring into the back of my head, and HEAR them telling each other that here's another sap putting food in the ground for their benefit.

...so I tied down an insect netting cover over the Fava and pea bed. :twisted:

Then I had to put all the tools away and carry most of the seedlings as well as a big container avocado I set out to enjoy the sun back inside! I did leave all of the onions, broccoli, and cauliflower seedlings under the low tunnel to continue hardening off.

This is the time of the season when I have to be careful and slowly get myself back in shape for gardening. I think I'm going to be sore tomorrow.... :roll:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

That's great to get a start. I did plant some onions lettuce and spinach. Good to be back on the garden.
This is the time of the season when I have to be careful and slowly get myself back in shape for gardening. I think I'm going to be sore tomorrow.... Rolling Eyes
Well, I pruned trees all day. Afraid I will be looking for the liniment too.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Things are looking up here as well...Still forecasted to be in the 20s a couple nights this week, but I had to pull the trigger. At the present time, I have well started cabbage, brussels sprouts, broccoli, and lettuce plants in the ground. I also put in some onion sets last night (today's forcast, mid 50s, overcast with rain....great planting/transplanting weather). Also, I have a tray of lettuce seedlings sprouting in the back room, and I noticed a few minutes ago about half of my 'mater plants have finally poked their little cotyledons through the soil. I also am soaking a package of pea seeds for pre-sprouting.

Yay gardening...finally.

LA47
Green Thumb

ALRIGHT! If your planting, jal-ut, that means I can start planting probably next week. I've got my broccoli started and that gives me enough time to harden them off. I'm happy. :-()

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

That's always a good feeling to get things in the ground. I know what you mean about preparing the garden. It rained here pretty steady for weeks on end and I was late getting stuff in the ground this year. But a few weeks of nice weather and all is right with the world once again.

Today I went to the store and scored 15 more large boxes to cut up and put between my rows and on the way home I saw a pile of 14 large garbage bags full of oak leaves that I took to place on top of the cardboard. That makes 28 bags in the garden so far and I still need a few more. I finished that just a while ago and wet everything down to get the cardboard to conform better between the rows.

I was surprised to see I already have 3 small tomatoes and at least 40 or so blossoms on my tomato plants and the okra I jumped the gun on is now breaking ground.. The pole beans are up, as are the cucumbers and my pepper plants are starting to produce small peppers with tons of blossoms right behind them.

I still prefer the fall garden since pests and weeds are a lot fewer, but I do love the spring/summer stuff-----------------till the heat and high humidity gets here, that is.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

April 4, a nice day. I decided to plant some more early things. Carrots, peas, onion seed, radish, lettuce, cabbage. All seed sown directly. The soil was nice and mellow, not too wet. I was going to plant kale, broccoli and kohlrabi, but couldn't find any seed. Can't believe I didn't have that on my seed list. Oh well, another trip to the garden store.

The spinach I planted on March 17 is just now coming up.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Don't you love it! :) Spring is here too. I have cabbage and broccoli seedlings in the ground (for the second time, after the first ones got blasted), and carrot, celery, spinach, lettuce and scallion seeds planted (and garlic onions and spinach that over-wintered from fall). Today I will plant some peas and try to find some chard seed. That's my how could I possibly not have ordered it seed!

joed2323

Grrrrr...

I'm jealous of you guys, your so lucky...
Hopefully if the weather stays above freezing we may finally have all the snow melted from our area...
I still can't see dirt in my garden yet, I'm tempted to go shovel it off my garden just so I can say I worked in the garden :-()

This year is nothing like last year :(

rkunsaw

I finally got everything planted except the corn, okra and sweet potatoes.I'll wait 'til it's a bit warmer for those.
I got a handful of asparagus Monday which we had in a salad.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

I took the day off from work yesterday since my wife, kid, and I all had different doctors appointments different times during the day. In the few minutes here or there between appointments, I was able to get lots of stuff planted...carrots, more lettuce, herbs (cilantro, basil, oregano), and more onions, to go along with my cole crops, peas, and lettuce already in the ground. Also got the maters out in the sun a bit. Going to start some cukes and squash inside in a week or so. I think I officially have a garden now, after marchpocalypse 2013 finally loosened its grip...

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

I've just started potting up my seeds for things I am going to attempt to grow this year, last year was a disaster, two beaver litters nearly the same time period, no amount of fencing and attempts kept them out. This year I know what what they like to eat and don't so the area where the beavers congregate will strictly be my pumpkin, squash and cantaloupe bed lol. But I managed to get some yellow pear heirlooms, san marzanos, cherry 100's, soy beans, pumpkins, cantaloupes, lima beans and green peppers potted in this last week and today. I also potted my own mix of red, yellow and orange bell peppers together in the same pots so I get a surprise mix of peppers from them. We still have about 2 weeks of forecast possible frosts so I figured now is about a good time to start my seeds. I hope I get to have a garden this year and not just feed the beavers! lol In a couple of weeks we do plan on making a trip out to the local nursery we like to get potted plant starters that I can hopefully get in ground shortly thereafter (after acclimation) and actually have a garden this year, health permitting.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I week ago I put out my Basil and Dwarf tomatoes. And today put planted all my peppers and indeterminate tomatoes. Waiting till may for melons, cukes, and squash. Everything is coming along good and I think it is going to be a good year.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

I am envious PunkRotten! I've been itching to get out and do some serious gardening in already this year. We still have cold weather, 30's, forcast for the next 2 weeks :(

applestar
Mod

These are the beds I picked for planting broccoli and cauliflower with some companions. The area gets first morning sun until it is shaded by the 60% privacy picket fence all afternoon. I'm hoping this will forstall heat-related issues but provide sufficient sun.

Today, finished planting the cauliflower seedlings (snow crown hybrid). Cabbage white butterflies are out already -- only saw maybe three all day, but enough to hustle me into covering with insect netting. :x

Broccoli (hybrid mix and purple sprouting) have already been interplanted [on 4/8] with beets, lettuce, and some green orach (red one didn't self-seed :(

The theory is to leave no room for weeds and have the crops shade them out. Shallowrooted lettuce will be out quickly, and beets take up below-ground space as opposed to above-ground space and is supposed to be good companion to brassica.

I still have arugula and celery to plant. I'll probably try to squeeze some celery in with the cauliflowers.
Last edited by applestar on Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Noted broccoli planting date

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I am thinking about trying broccoli someday. My kale started to flower and it looked just like broccoli. I pinched it off and ate it and it tasted just like broccoli too. But it was so much more tastier than store broccoli. That is why I am thinking of giving it a shot. Plus you can eat the leaves of the plant too just as you would kale/chard.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”