meegster
Newly Registered

transplanting fruiting tomatoes

is it ever alright to transplant a tomato that is in full fruiting mode? my housemate suggested moving the plant to the corner of the garden, for aesthetic and spacial issues, but I do not want to kill or harm my lovely, happy tomatoes. also, if the plant is providing partial shade to its neighbors, would/might they be affected by a transplant of said tomato? if it is acceptable/nonharmful to transplant during the plant's fruiting period, what is the best way to do so? this is my first fully-manifested veggie garden and any hints would help.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Meegster,

It's a bit late for this but if you transplanted you probably found out it stressed your plant severely. It's best never to transplant when a plant is in bloom or fruiting or when the temperature is over 85*F.

Any plants being shaded could get sunburned just like people do.

Newt

atascosa_tx
Cool Member

Like I said I'm a new member..and I'm responding to old posts...

I've always practiced the art of transplanting the plant with no blooms and no forming fruits..the reason being that you want the plant to focus on establishing a strong root system and not to waste it's energy into producing fruits and new blossoms..If for some reason my plant has some small immature blossoms I pinch them off,,some may disagree..but I would rather have a strong plant..

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes if your plant is doing fine now, I wouldn't transplant it.

However, we have bought fruiting plants from nurseries and transplanted them into the soil and into pots. If you do plan on moving your tomatoe give it good fertililzer I use kelp meal, nice rotted manure, liquid seaweed and liquid fish fertilizer. And be sure to keep your plant happy water wise, don't over water and don't underwater. It'll be stressed for a little bit, but I've found that they come back if looked after.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”