CADustin
Newly Registered

Removing Polycarbonate Protective Film..

Hi!

I'm working on building my first greenhouse and I'm at the point where I'm ready to install my Polycarbonate (Palram Sunlite Panels). I cut my first sheet yesterday and when I tried to remove the protective film it seems as though it doesn't want to come off very easily (I'm guessing because the sheets have been in the sun for awhile).

So, my questions are as follows:
1) Does anyone have any tips on removing the protective film?

2) How bad would it be for me to leave the film on?

Thanks!![/list]

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

oops. once the "temporary" adhesive ages it's a long tough tiny picky picky job.

adhesives vary....you can try loosening it with alcohol - high % stuff - like in the paint department (I.e. not "rubbing alcohol")

alcohol is definitely safe - but test any other solvents very carefully - stuff like acetone just "dissolves" plastics.

another "label glue trick" is vegetable oil - takes long/er/ish to soak it off, post peel cleanup required.

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

GOO GONE!!!

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

GooGone contains a number of solvents that can easily screw up plastics

extreme caution advised.

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

I just must have been lucky!! I have never had a problem with it messing anything up but the adhesive I was trying to get off. I have used it on kids toys, plexi glass, plastic displays for baseballs and baseball cards, plastic fairings for motorcycles.. and so on.

I apologize if I am steering you down the wrong course, my experience does not show the negative effects.. :shock: :shock: . If you try it just do it on a corner to start with

Foxglovestainedglass
Newly Registered

We had the same problem and tried warm water, using a hair dryer, and soaking the pane in a bath, all with little result. Then my husband suggested we try using Sellotape and BINGO the protective film just peeled off with the tape! I even managed to remove the film from windows still in situ.
Hope this helps. :D

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”