applestar
Mod

Overnight low of 24°F outside and 40°F in the garage V8 Nursery.

Yesterday, I tried moving V8 nursery seedlings (broccoli, nions, cauliflower) outside once outside temps were up to 38°F, and shuffling the indoor Winter Paradise seedlings that prefer cool temps (celery, alyssum) and some of the miniblock tomatoes out to the vacated garage V8 Nursery once garage temp rose to 50's°F.

I waited until outside temp was finally up to 48° in the shade and 56°F in the sun and took out a tray of uppotted tomatoes outside for a bit of sun.

...shuffled them all back inside (into the house and into the garage) at sundown... (I don't think I could do that every day :roll: )

UNFORTUNATELY, we're not getting any snow here. We may have an earlier water restriction this year. :(

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

I can't wait to start my dance between the shade, sun, shed and house. My wife always tells me I look nuts ! :)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

A freind of mine in Jackson Mississippi is expecting a frost. This winter is holding on. I am glad I held my toamto planting back this year.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

My smaller tomato plants remain outside in the cold frame, with the assistance of a 150 watt bulb. The larger plants look pitiful compared to last year's which grew outside most days after mid January. Maybe they will get outside some this coming week, but below freezing temperatures will require them to be brought in and highs in the 50's will limit outside time. Will likely move the plants to the greenhouse where they will get a bit more sunlight.

Temperatures supposed to be back up to near 70 this coming Saturday. Hopefully, this is the last prolonged cold spell, and we get a gradual warming trend that takes us to our typical frost free date in the second or third week in April.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Sigh....this time last year I was harvesting lettuce. Today, I'm harvesting snow for the kids to make snow cream...

We've got about 3" on the ground and its coming down in buckets. It's 34 degrees at the moment so it's not piling up quite as well as it might have. Still, when it's all said and done in the morning, I bet we'll have 6 to 8"....

At least my cole crops are well insulated in their own private igloos...

Susan W
Greener Thumb

We are so waiting the lamb, not the lion of March. Not as cold and snowy as some of you, but still cold. Now going in a few days of 40's, lows 30ish. The flats of starts back in. I think we are getting the lower side of the system that hit you people from CO to Mid and going on to Delaware. Brrrr Our frost date is April 15, but there's usually more pretty warmer stuff preceding.

Jardin du Fort

Supposed to get 3 to 5" of snow tonight. The only good thing I can see is that this time of year it can't last very long. :)

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

So I don't feel as bad. everyone is having a rough spring. It looks like Friday we should see +4 (38F) with the sun and the wind we get here in the parries it will make short work of the snow outside ;) I hope by the time I get my strawberries in the mail ill be able to plant them. should be interesting to see if I can in 3 weeks.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Just planted (10) 8 in. tall tomato plants and now we're supposed to have overnight temps in the upper 30's low 40's for 3 days. Are they gonna make it? Suggestions?

applestar
Mod

5 gal buckets and storage tubs.

White or translucent is good for keeping the interior bright, but they need to be removed before it gets too hot if it's sunny next day. You'll need bricks or heavy objects to weigh them down if it's windy. I use 2gal buckets of water sometimes.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Okay, will do.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Would that work for planting my strawberries early as well? What would the lowest temp be that it would work?

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Looks like the weather broke today! Time for the melt!

49 days until I can plant as well!!! Hazaaaaa

With my shorter season should I start my watermelons in the house? If so how far in advance?

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Northernfox, We plant outside here second week in May. Our season is similar to yours in that was as we are at 6800ft, It looked like spring for a couple week, now it's been snowing for two days.

I started some peppers in and upstairs window. I'm not too handy with PhotoBucket and the like. but at times I sure would like to post pictures. Some people are able to post some great shots.

Richard

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Valley, get to posting those photos! O:) Just a bit of a leaning curve, and the photos do add so much to one's post. Would love to see your high elevation location.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

I cant wait to see them!!! Now at least I have a friend in the same situation :)

You should watch the praxxus videos on pruning your peppers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XmfoASl ... ata_player

I think this is the one :)

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

I got into the garden today and built my squash bed in the back corner. We are expecting 4" of snow tonight :(

This time last year I was in my garden turning my soil and planting my onions.

Sasha
Cool Member

4"? We're forecast to get double that in the city. This is just abysmal. It's not even that winter has returned, it's that spring has not even arrived yet. And there's no end in sight.

Six months of winter is just way, way too much. I no longer care about the farmers (who are likely getting screwed at this point anyway), the aquifers or the wetlands. I just want this garbage to end.

valley
Greener Thumb

just a test

valley
Greener Thumb

another
Attachments
our ranch 047.jpg

valley
Greener Thumb

most of the snow is gone!
Attachments
IMG_0062.JPG
IMG_0062.JPG (51.18 KiB) Viewed 1630 times

valley
Greener Thumb

My wife and daughter showed me how to post pictures. I'll take some clearer shots.
Attachments
IMG_0061.JPG

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Wow it is looking good!!! I love the landscape !!

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Sasha wrote:4"? We're forecast to get double that in the city. This is just abysmal. It's not even that winter has returned, it's that spring has not even arrived yet. And there's no end in sight.

Six months of winter is just way, way too much. I no longer care about the farmers (who are likely getting screwed at this point anyway), the aquifers or the wetlands. I just want this garbage to end.
I hear the city got slammed lol. We got a dusting but once again the Dow Bubble protected fort sask

Sasha
Cool Member

Not really, at least not in the central areas - we only got about 5 cm, and it's already melting.

Still, temps of 0- +5 at this time of year is utter junk.

valley
Greener Thumb

There are acres of Fir, Pine and one Incense Cedar. Garden grows wonderful but we can grow more at the lower ranch. I'm patching the outside water system so I can turn on the water.

Richard

We got 6" just a couple days ago, nothing left except up in the trees and at the north side of the house and barn, north side the house is a glacier 6 or 8foot of packed snow, nothing on the roads or where the sun hits.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Knock on wood we might have spring here in the next few weeks !!

valley
Greener Thumb

It was spring here too. Suddenly It's SNOWING! Woopee winters back. I'll get a picture when it stops. Can't see the ground anymore.

valley
Greener Thumb

Maybe we'll skip summer this year? Not much, a warm day or two and it will be mostly gone.
Attachments
mums picks 557.jpg

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

My goodness that is good and heavy snow !! Looks like I am out of the woods !!! Only a little but of snow left. I even got in there and built some new beds. I know they look bad but I figured I'd work with re-cycled building materials.

Sasha
Cool Member

valley wrote:Maybe we'll skip summer this year? Not much, a warm day or two and it will be mostly gone.
That's bleak.

Meanwhile, at the ranch, our temperatures continue to be 10 degrees below normal (that's 18 degrees for y'all Yankees), with no relief in sight. Yes, the snow's melting but we're barely limping into spring. Flurries again for the weekend, though it's only Tuesday, so that could improve - or worsen.

valley
Greener Thumb

This morning it was 8degrees, that's about 14degrees below up there, I think.

Sasha
Cool Member

Yeesh. Better build a greenhouse!

valley
Greener Thumb

Hows this?

valley
Greener Thumb

Try again.
Attachments
IMG_0061.JPG

Sasha
Cool Member

That was fast!

Haha, I'd forgotten that you posted that.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Wow I wish I had melting that fast. I am at my grandmothers place in In Ontario and they still have 2-3 feet of snow around their yard !! Yikes !!

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Mean while in Ontario

valley
Greener Thumb

Was that taken recently or earlier in the year?
Unless we get a big dump like 4', we can plant in about three weeks. We can still get some but the chance of frost will be small. I'm looking forward to it, we had such a great harvest last year.

We have this thermometer that will tell what the high and low has been. If it's here I'm thinking of putting it in the greenhouse. We used it in the incubator.

The picture of the greenhouse was taken before the last snow, there's still snow up there but none on the roof.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

that photo was taken a couple of hours ago ;) there is another 4 or 5 inches coming tonight. I am at my grandparents place just marveling at the volume of snow!

back home in Alberta my wife tells me that there is just a little bit of snow left in my yard ;)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”