UrbanGardenDiva

Sad Day

My 4 year old pink living stone (mesemb?) just up and died, was rotted and mush overnight! I have no idea what happened as the other's around it were unaffected. Has anyone had this happen? Are my other beauties that were in the community pot destined for demise? I did nothing different to them, the soil hasn't been watered in almost a week. Grrrrrrrr.....very upsetting!

Edit: can anyone recommend a good place to purchase these online? I don't think any nurseries around here would have one like that :( I am finding some places I've ordered from send me plants with crappy roots or damaged.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Seems like it would have to be cold or excess moisture.

Richard

I know what your mean about poor root on plants you by. One of the cherry trees I bought from from Lowe's had no root that could be spread. I planted it anyway, we'll see.

UrbanGardenDiva

The only thing different was that I had photos taken of my plants in studio. This was a few days ago though. It may sound silly but I wonder if all the flashing killed it?? :shock:

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

I doubt if flashing is a problem. Lets see if someone comes on with similar experience. Have a good spring.

richard

UrbanGardenDiva

Hello again all! I have bought two new living stones and they seem to be healthy, they are in tiny (1'' tiny) pots. I would like to avoid killing these ones since I still am clueless what the heck happened last time, I am a little nervous. I usually keep my succulents in a community pot, is this ok or should I keep them apart? One side of the lithops is softening just a bit, is this normal? I am trying not to handle it too much. I never had a problem with my beauty I had for four years so I have little experience with these. I really want these to stay alive, I was so sad when my other one mushed up like that! Somebody please offer some wisdom if they could.

LindaD

Sorry to read of the demise of your living stone! :cry: I have had two and have the terrible habit of overwatering so until I break the habit I won't try again. I did find out there is a fungus that can cause root rot called Rhizactonia Root and Stem Rot . Maybe keeping a close eye on the others and reading the info might help. If you have this situation, perhaps you should follow the suggestions

Rhizoctonia is a fungus found in most soils that can enter the plant both through the roots and in to the plant at soil level. Besides the obvious of not overwatering but all the leaves from the bottom up are wilted, it is suggested you remove the plant ( isolate?).
Further suggestions are, if it was in a pot, discard the soil and wash the pot with a 1 part bleach to 9 parts water solution. Further info says Fungicides can be used but makes no suggestions as to which and you certainly need to use caution there!

UrbanGardenDiva

Thanks for the suggestions! I have already tossed the dead one and re-potted my others in hopes of saving them and preventing spread of infection (if that was the cause) So far they look just fine but I guess only time will tell. I only water them about once every 30-40 days. I am too scared to remove my new lithops from the tiny pots! I love them so much and I can never find them around here. Wish me luck :)

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”