xmaspalm
Newly Registered

Looks like my young Christmas Palm is Dying

Looking for any help with this. . .

For several years I have wanted a palm tree in here in the Midwest. I realize it would not survive our winters, so I was hoping to grow one indoors. On a trip to Florida, we found seeds on the ground from a Christmas Palm and brought a few home. After reading several threads to show how to plant we decided to give it a try. After a few months, a couple of the seeds sprouted and took off pretty well. The tree is about 2 years old and is roughly 18â€

xmaspalm
Newly Registered

Bump

xmaspalm
Newly Registered

Bueller, Bueller???

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

It's normal for the older leaves to be discarded as palms grow, that's how the trunks are formed. The soil in that pot looks mucky/muddy, without any air pockets in it. If you can mix up something more chunky, porous, that would probably help a lot. The chemicals in tap water can be detrimental to some plants also. If you can use distilled, rain water, dehumidifier condensate, that could help as well.

Congrats on getting the seed to sprout!!

xmaspalm
Newly Registered

Thank you for the follow-up! I'll switch to distilled water.

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

I hope it helps. I have some palm tree seeds here that I can't get to sprout yet. If you feel like sharing your method, I'd love to hear about it.

Have you considered a parlor palm (Chamaedorea elegans?) You don't really get the trunk part of the look, (unless you're rich and buy a really big old expensive plant,) but definitely palm leaves. I've had a clump of this for over 20 years that was with me in OH for a long time, then the past 6 years here in AL. As far as palms go, I'm pretty sure this species is the most popular and numerous. That would be because they are so much less sensitive to dry house air while inside for the winter. Many palms can be devastated by that, which may be part of the difficulty your cute little sprout is having. As long as a new leaf is coming in, it's still growing.

Of course pics can be deceiving, but the soil looks very moist, soggy. Potted plants in a soil of all/mostly tiny/fine particles generally need to dry significantly between waterings or the roots can rot from lack of air combined with excess sogginess at the bottom of the pot. If there are organic particles in the soil, over time these will decompose into even smaller particles and literally be mud at the bottom of the pot. Very few plants can look great in this condition, and this is the primary cause of death for potted plants, beyond not watering it at all or leaving it out in the cold. Even after decades I'm often surprised when I repot plants because the surface has always looked the same, but what has gone on inside the pot is a complete transformation from fluffy "potting mix" into muck.

xmaspalm
Newly Registered

I washed and dried the seeds. Removed the outer shell. I use Miracle Grow Palm potting soil. I started with 5 seeds and used a small 6" pot for each seed, watering once per week. I originally had one seed that germinated and it took more than two months. After waiting four months I decided to throw out the other four pots. That's when I found another had germinated, but never poked through the soil. I gave this one to a friend. At last check it was doing great up until a moth ago, same as mine.

If there is a better soil to use, I would be happy to give it a try.

Currently I am using the miracle grow palm, pot with drain hole, distilled water. Placed in South side of our house to get optimal sun.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”