LA47
Green Thumb

Has anyone tried to can creamed soups?

I have found out that most canned soup has HFCS in it so I would like to start making my own. Has anyone tried it?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Interesting. Some one else posted this exact question about a week ago:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/v ... highlight=

Never got any response. I hope it gets a response this time, but not something I can help with. I don't have a pressure canner, so the only things I can are things with acid in them like tomatoes and pickles.

Meatburner

LA47, I couldn't find anything in the BBB. That was the only place I checked. Maybe someone will chime in with some information.

LA47
Green Thumb

I looked at a few sites and they all said it was not safe to can milk or pasta. One site suggested using powdered creamer but that didn't sound good. They all suggested canning with chicken broth and adding the cream or milk as you desired as you were heating it. Not something I would probably want to do. They also nixed the idea of freezing it as the cream/milk will separate. I guess I'll either make it fresh or put up with the added HFCS. I can't figure out why they put it in. I've never put any kind of sugar any my soups.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

sugar makes people like things! It is pretty hard wired in to us, from evolutionary times, when starvation always threatened and sugar was a signal of safe calorie dense food. (Poisons and toxic foods tend to be bitter, sugar is safe.)

rkunsaw

That was me that asked the question before.

I looked it up and the USDA says not to home can anything with milk,cream,or butter in it.

I guess the commercial canners use enough preservative so they can can anything.

I just going to continue canning asparagus and use it to make soup as needed.

shadylane
Green Thumb

I know this is an old reply but that is bunk!! Due to I have done this..
And my family and I are still living...
Back in the days it was their way of food source, canning meats with fat, butter and even grease...

I have canned for so many many years...with out perservatives, chemicals and MSG, which now has taken the cover of "Natural flavors" and "Yest Extracts"

rkunsay I answered your request in replying to creamed asparagus soup.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Let's give priority to the thread that was established earlier, url provided by Rainbowgardener in the second post of this thread.

Please continue the discussion there.

Thank you! :D

Cynthia H.
/mod hat on/

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”