PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Just got about 6lbs of Turmeric and ready to plant

Hi,

I have a whole row to dedicate to Turmeric. I wanted to grow both Ginger and Turmeric but could not find any quality Ginger. I have 3 store bought pieces of Ginger I am trying to pre-sprout. Anyway, after measuring my bed, and given the correct spacing I can plant (36) two-inch pieces of Turmeric. I thought I read somewhere you can direct plant Turmeric if you think the ground is warm enough. I have the pieces cut already and letting the wounds cure for a few days. Any tips on getting them sprouted ASAP?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Never grown it before, but went looking and here is one link that is useful.

https://www.globalhealingcenter.com/orga ... g-turmeric

It is a tropical plant so DO NOT put it out till it is warm, and that means the soil too. Like I said I have never grown them before, from what I read it seems you just plant the root in soil and walk away, like with bulbs etc.

Now again just thinking here. 8) You could treat them like I do sweet potatoe starters. you could put them in soil/pots somewhere warm with maybe a heating mat. That could get them going before the ground is ready for them, a head start. Not sure how they do with transplanting though. Just a thought.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I've read about a pre-spouting process. I am doing that with some Ginger now. I hear they transplant really easy from this pre-sprouted process. We are getting 70s and 80s during the days and like upper 40s and some 50s at night. I am thinking it would be warm enough.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”