estorms

Peppers

I heard from a greenhouse owner that peppers have to be a certain age before being planted out in the garden. She told me how old they are is as important as how big they are. Has any one else heard about this?

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

I did have a failed attempt last year. some of my peppers did not produce as they were a few weeks too young. I started them in March last year. So when some of them failed I came on here and got the advice to start them in January. so I did. they are very large and starting to produce flowering bodies. I typically transition them outside in May.

the experiment continues
Stephen

imafan26
Mod

That is news to me. I have peppers that I have planted that were 4 inches tall and others that were full grown in gallon pots that I planted out.

I will say that very young peppers are prized by cutworms and slugs, so setting out bigger plants do help with that.

I can't seed peppers very well since unless a bird drops one in my yard. The birds usually raid the seeds from the bush as well as from the pots.

Peppers are fussy about temperature. They grow very slowly if at all in cold weather. They need to be around 65 degrees to germinate and if it gets too much over 90 degrees pepper production drops too. Hot peppers tolerate the heat better than bells.

You need to select varieties that do best in your area. Gypsy is supposed to be a bell that can handle cold weather better. I also need disease resistance to nematodes, virus, and fungal diseases. Hot peppers do better for me and banana peppers do better than bells.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

troyarbor1
Newly Registered

Peppers

I've found, here in N. Maryland that the soil temperature is key to having happy peppers. The years that I have not waited have been bad producers with size and numbers no matter what varieties I grew. The years I grew them in pots in my protected back porch and planted them when the soil reached about 60 I had so many peppers (jalepeno, serrano, bell, bananna,etc) that the branches often gave out and broke. I'm still cooking with dried peppers from last September I had so many and I eat them at almost every meal. Good luck and remember, they like it hot.
Kohlrabi and figs in Frederick

estorms

That makes sense. Now that I know that, I will put them into a larger pot so they can wait a while. I have never had problems with peppers, but they are just getting going when we are hit with a frost. I have 8 acres, but most of it is uncleared, shaded, or swampy, so in the past, I have been limited to 1500 sq. feet. My plan this year is to plant the usual number in the garden and then put the rest everywhere. They all have to be protected from deer and rabbits and woodchucks, but I am getting good at wire cages. I will do the same with tomatoes.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”