Artizam
Newly Registered

Trying to get my lawn right, could use some advice

My wife and I recently got into our new house and I'm having a heck of a time deciding on where my priorities need to be. Last week I mowed the lawn for the first time and applied a small dose of Turf Builder with Moss control. After a few days, I realized the moss was worse than I expected, so I applied scotts moss control (w/o fertilizer). The stuff worked in 2 days, so I went after it today with a thatching blade. I had no idea what shape my lawn actually was in. The moss is everywhere, it's like I have no actual grass. I mowed after the thatch, but everything is yellow and black now (whats left of the moss). I also applied a slow release fertilizer (with crabgrass preventer) after the mow. Now here's where I'm stuck. My hopes are that with the fertilizer, my grass will start growing and overtake whats left of the moss. I've been told that thatching once a year is all that's needed, but I'm afraid I may have to thatch a second time in order to get rid of whats left of the dead moss. I'm ready to apply lime and think I should aerate as well, but I'm afraid I'll be trying to do too much to my lawn at once. By the way, I live in Kent WA, so I have Fescue/Rye and probably won't be able to overseed for another month or so

tomf
Super Green Thumb

You may need to reseed, the soil should be about 56 deg to germinate the seed, and hopefully the herbicide in the fertilizer will not effect the germination of the seeds. You need to rake the thatched stuff up. Before seeding spread lime on the lawn, lime helps keep the moss down.

Artizam
Newly Registered

thx for the reply, I plan on seeding in the spring when it gets warmer. Considering thatching though, I did a deep thatch, then mowed over it to pick all the dead stuff up. My concern is, now I see I huge layer of moss, some dead, some still green. Do I need to re-apply the moss killer and thatch again? I also aerated today to open the soil up. If it takes a year to get it right, I'm fine with that, I'm just concerned about taking care of the moss now while it's in plain sight

Return to “Lawn Care”