Drew
Newly Registered

How to Choose Your First Bonsai

I have been interested in Bonsai for about a year now and I am seriously considering getting my first. I would like to know if anyone has advice on a particular variety of tree based on the area I live in (Oregon) and also if there is a particular variety that is heartier than another for the climate around here. I tend to like the looks of the Junipers the best.... would that be suitable for this area and climate conditions?
Thanks in advance!
Drew

ynot
Greener Thumb

Drew wrote:I have been interested in Bonsai for about a year now and I am seriously considering getting my first. I would like to know if anyone has advice on a particular variety of tree based on the area I live in (Oregon) and also if there is a particular variety that is heartier than another for the climate around here. I tend to like the looks of the Junipers the best.... would that be suitable for this area and climate conditions?
Thanks in advance!
Drew
Drew, Welcome 8).

By your species selection I presume that you intend to keep this outside [Year round] Correct?

I think a juniper would be a fine choice provided you have well draining soil considering your climate. [They grow outside there naturally right? ;)]

Have you have been actively researching for a year? Or just toying with the idea?... :D.

There are several RE site we often direct people to but you may have seen them already.

Please ask further questions if you have them.

ynot

Drew
Newly Registered

Thanks for the feedback, and yes, it's been more of a toying around with the idea for the last year than actual research. I have however been reading a lot of the suggested sites recommended in other threads.

Are there any books that you would recommend getting for the beginner? Not necessarily general information but a little more indepth explanation of techniques?

This is a wonderful site and I appreciate how generous you all are with your info! :D
Drew

ynot
Greener Thumb

Drew wrote:Thanks for the feedback, and yes, it's been more of a toying around with the idea for the last year than actual research.
Your welcome, 8).

I respect the 'lurking around for a while and seeing if the need to have one [Or 10 :twisted:] of those little trees persists' approach :D.

So many just jump in and are completely clueless as to what it entails [That approach is not inherently bad or anything but the learning curve can be exceptionally steep that way unless one is really devoted.]
I have however been reading a lot of the suggested sites recommended in other threads.
[img]https://www.xsltblog.com/archives/The-Simpsons-Mr-Burns-Excel.jpg[/img]... I cannot disagree w/ Mr. Burns on that assessment :).
Are there any books that you would recommend getting for the beginner?
Absolutely!
Not necessarily general information but a little more indepth explanation of techniques?
See, Here is the thing.... There is kind of a catch there because it is really [Add a few more 'reallys' for emphasis] important to have the fundamentals down before you go and add a entire new level of complexity to it.

So, I have to ask which techniques {horticultural or artistic}/Species{Tropical-Deciduous-Evergreen}/methods you refer to.

Sorry to be so vague with that answer, Some questions tend to lead to more questions :P ;)... On to the actual books ~

Here is a thread with reading suggestions: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4139&highlight=hinoki

You will see my two favorite bonsai books listed in that thread:

My # 1 & 2 are by [1] Koreshoff and [2] Liang. Both are easy to understand and cover a broad range but also have enough depth that you do not outgrow them quickly.

Koreshoff can be a bit hard to come by [But worth it], The Liang book is usually available at larger bookstores [Borders, B&N - Both are places with great coffee so grab an 8$ coffee and sit down with the Liang book {Or the entire bonsai section 8)} until they kick you out - Or you buy it.]

The bonsai bibles [Also called: 'The Nakas' I & II] are also mentioned as they are really more of a collection of notes on techniques than an actual coherent 'book'. This could be good, But in some respects you may need a more linear read to start with [Still, A worthwhile pair of books really]
Drew wrote: This is a wonderful site and I appreciate how generous you all are with your info! :D
Drew
:D Thanks, Actually we just repeat ourselves a lot though your welcome. Thanks, Actually we just repeat ourselves a lot though your welcome. ;)

ynot

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”