southernslang

Strawberry transplants

I picked up a few strawberry plants from the local nursery the other day, I picked the ones that had the most flowers, Question: should I cut off the berries that are already growing, before putting them in the ground or leave them ? common since tells me to cut them to promote more root and vegetative development. just wanna make sure it will benefit the plant, and how long should I expect to see more flowers ?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I'd say to remove them. When you see more flowers and berries depends on the type of Strawberries you have. If everbearing you can expect something in Fall if you decide to remove flowers during Spring.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Most often they tell you not to let strawberries fruit at all the first season, while they are getting established. They will be setting flowers/ fruit, you just might want to keep removing them.

imafan26
Mod

It seemed like right before the strawberries started to flower they were sending runners out like mad. After that stopped, that is when the strawberries started to flower and fruit. Once it fruited, there were not that many runners anymore.

I transplanted or should I say I let the runners walk into their new pots and establish themselves before I cut off the umbilical cord.

How long does an individual strawberry plant live?

JONA878
Greener Thumb

They can live for many many years but the problem is that they are very prone to virus infections, so it is better to replace every five years or so maximum.
If your plants continue to crop well and grow healthely then keep them going....but if they start to flag or continualy crop smaller or malformed fruit...then replace them with new stock. Preferably from a virus free source.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Most often they tell you not to let strawberries fruit at all the first season, while they are getting established. They will be setting flowers/ fruit, you just might want to keep removing them.
This may be true with June bearing, but I find that day neutral fruit well the first year. I recommend your remove the first flush of blossoms early, then let them fruit late Summer~Fall. Day neutrals will give you a slightly larger crop the second year and you should think about replacing them year 3.

Seascape is the variety I grow and sell. Each plant will give you a "King berry" and about 1/2 pound of fruit per plant.

Eric

milstudfarms
Newly Registered

Seascape is the variety I grow and sell. Each plant will give you a "King berry" and about 1/2 pound of fruit per plant.
Per plant per year or just the first year? My family of 6 will destroy a 1/2 pound of strawberries. I am going to plant them this year for the first time.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

milstudfarms wrote:
Per plant per year or just the first year? My family of 6 will destroy a 1/2 pound of strawberries. I am going to plant them this year for the first time.
The expected harvest should be between .25 and .75 pounds of strawberries per foot of row for day-neutral varieties during the first year of life. The expected harvest increases to between .5 and 1.5 pounds per foot of row for years 2 and 3.

If you plant 25 plants, you will harvest somewhere between 6.25 and 18.75 pounds the first year. Year 2 and 3 between 12 and 37.5 pounds of strawberries.

Eric

southernslang

I went ahead and pinched them off, there already blooming new flowers. Not sure about day blooming type but there a "Festival " variety?

Return to “All Other Fruit”