kevinschoppe
Cool Member

Why is my Don Juan Pink?

My Don Juan Climbing has opened pink, instead of dark red. It is a light pink to hot pink flowers. Is this common with Don Juan? What can I do to help it turn to dark Red.

Maybe the pot I got was mislabeled? I got it from Lowe's about 6 months ago. Has anyone had this problem?

Thanks-
Kevin

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Buying at the Big Boxes is always a junk shoot; industry uses these guys to clean house and you never know what you'll get. Could be a mixed growing block or just a variety the grower got long in and peddled as 'Don Juan' or just a mistake...

HG

secret
Newly Registered

In case you haven't already received this information, there IS a Pink Don Juan which was first marketed (I believe) in 1997 and is supposed to be a sport of the red Don Juan. I have one of these wonderful Pink Don Juans and like it very much because the color is a bright pink that leans slightly towards purple (at least mine does) with a heavenly sweet fragrance that is stronger than that of the red. I like my red Don Juans but prefer the pink because of its stronger fragrance and intense color. It climbs a bit (not sure yet how large it will get) and the intense pink color will look wonderful draped over a fence, especially a white one. Enjoy yours!

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hi Secret! I had previously given this information about the pink Don Juan in a previous thread called "is it Don Juan or isn't it" from August 31. I clarified it for him and have not heard back, so it's great that you have confirmed it as well so he can be reassured that his is truly doing what it should be! Thanks! :wink:
VAL

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

I am forwarding a question from Secret I answered on PM for others to share:

Secret:
Oh, I forgot to add that I comment only on those roses that I have grown in my own garden. This helps me give more personal opinions and observations. I've found that bushes and blooms sometimes look different in hand from photos on packages and internet! Where I live the summer heat has to figure into every choice.

Perhaps you might have a suggestion for one or two highly scented bright or deep pink climbers with profuse or repeat bloom, which would cover a portion of fence?
Hi Secret! Good to hear back from you! You are right, colours on blooms and bushes certainly do look different when seeing them in person, and heat also does have an impact on the color of a rose.

I have a few suggestions for pink, fragrant climbers for you. Not knowing your hardiness zone, some of these may not apply. Also, I have not grown alot of climbers myself, because until recently, there have not been many varieties hardy enough to survive my area, and they are a lot of work to winterize otherwise.
There are a series of roses called the Explorer Series, which are bred in Canada, and are extremely hardy. They are each named for a famous explorer in Canadian history. In this series, there are several climbers.

One I have grown is "John Cabot". It was introduced in 1978, as part of the Exporer Series, and is very hardy.
It's flowers are double, a deep orchid pink, and very fragrant. It blooms repeatedly and has a spread of about 5-7 feet and height of 8-10 feet.

Another climber from the same Explorer Series is John Davis. It was introduced in 1986, and is a large flowered, medium pink, fragrant rose, that is very hardy as well. It blooms continuously the entire season. It has as spread of 4-6 feet, and height of abot 5-6 feet, and is actually suggested to be grown on a fence.

Yet another climber from the Explorer Series is Louis Jolliet. It was introduced in 1990, and has double, large, medium pink, fragrant blooms, that flower continuously throughout the season. They grow 4-5 feet high, and their spread is 3-4 feet.

William Baffin is another climber from the Explorer Series introduced in 1983. It has semi-double, deep pink, lightly scented flowers that bloom repeatedly all season. It has a height of 8-10 feet and a spread of 5-6 feet.

A couple of other climbers that are not in the Explorer Series are:

Constance Spry was bred in 1961, and has a very large, soft pink, strongly scented flower, but does not repeat bloom. It's height is 12-15 feet and spread is 5-6 feet. It is hardy in zones 4b-9.

Handel is a climber that has large, semi-double, white with pink edged flowers with very little scent. It's height is 12-15 feet and spread is 4-8 feet. It blooms the entire season. It is hardy in zones 5-9.

One of the most common climbers is New Dawn, introduced in 1910. It has large, double, pale pearl pink, sweetly fragrant flowers, that bloom repeatedly. It has a height of 15-20 feet and a spread of 10-15 feet. It is hardy in zones 4-9.

There are many, many more I could list, but these are the most commonly available climbers, that have good reputations, so even though I have not grown most of them myself, I feel confident suggesting them to you.I hope you are able to find a couple you like amongst them! Feel free to return and ask for more if you like. Good Luck! :wink:
VAL

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I am a huge fan of 'William Baffin'; use it as a climber, a shrub, groundcover, pillar, rambler, whatever! Great blooms, nice fragrance and my specific need for roses, NO CARE! :lol:

HG

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

I know what you mean! I think you'll find that with all of the Explorer Series. They are so hardy, and not disease prone, so they pretty much take care of themselves! I know that the John Cabot that I have puts on a glorious show of blooms all over my lattice fence that I have it on. It mixes in with my Ville de Lion Clematis, and they look wonderful! 8)
VAL

Return to “Rose Forum”