applestar
Mod

Winter is REALLY here !!

It's 11.1°F outside right now :shock:

webmaster
Site Admin

Yes, we got a nice snow, nothing big, the night before. Was crunchy and squeaky under my boots. The temperature steadily dropped throughout the day. Hit 19 degrees as the sun set. Currently 9° F.

webmaster
Site Admin

My wife says it's going to get down to 2 degrees Farenheit tonight. She's from Connecticut and says that's what is officially known as "butt cold."

LA47
Green Thumb

That almost sounds warm to me. :D It's been in the minus's at night for the last couple of weeks. It seems to be warming up a little as it is clear up to +12 F now.

cedillamuerta

It's been in the low 70's here all week :x

prettygurl

14 currently

applestar
Mod

8°F ... It's supposed to keep going down this week...

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

The rain today ended a 12 day dry streak.
SEATTLE —
Wednesday's rain ended a 12-day dry stretch in Seattle, as recorded at Sea-Tac Airport.

National Weather Service meteorologist Mike McFarland says it was the second-longest dry streak in January on record. Only a 15-day dry spell in the city in January 1963 was longer.

McFarland says the normal pattern of lowland rain and mountain snow is likely to continue for a few days with another dry period possible next week.

He also says Seattle still has a chance of snow this winter, in the first couple of weeks of February.
Looks like mid 40's through the weekend.

Eric

webmaster
Site Admin

It's so cold out here I came inside and stood in front of the refrigerator to warm up, lol.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Roger - LMFAO

Eat your hearts out - blue bird skies and 65 degrees.

Yep - love the south. :clap:

tomf
Super Green Thumb

webmaster wrote:It's so cold out here I came inside and stood in front of the refrigerator to warm up, lol.
:lol:

Like DD said the weather is finally changing, I hope for some fresh snow this week on the hill.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I see the East is in for an cold blast this week, heating bills will be a killer there.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

This is why I love winter, I get to play like a kid.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:The rain today ended a 12 day dry streak. . . .
That "dry steak" translated into days and days of freezing fog here. There was a small snow storm late yesterday and it was such a relief to get the poisonous air outta here!!

I think I've got the hoar frost thing kind of figured out . . . since there has been NO temperatures above freezing, the snow on the ground sublimates and is "captured" by the trees . . . where it forms ice crystals, which build up and then fall back to the ground under the trees! The air has been so stagnant that this was the "atmospheric condition" of any interest over the last 2 weeks.

Now, if I've got my quotation marks and italics all in the right places, this may be correct.

I did check the Snotel Weather Service sites nearby. All of them had a 90% or nearly so, normal "Snow Water Equivalent." And that, is darn-near official and should be very welcome information.

More snow in our forecast and we've "officially" had 6 daily winter lows in the single

digitS' :)

Jardin du Fort

It's been rather chilly here in Indiana the last few days, highs around 7° with lows hovering just above or below 0°. The wind, though, has put the wind chill factor down around -15°. It's been cold enough that my wife has used her amusing cold comment "Chisel burr". I tell her that's about a tool, not cold, but she still says it anyway.

:lol:

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Well it warmed up down in the valley and where I live, I am burning less wood now. It still is a bit warm on the mountain, so it is getting a rain snow mix. We need wet snow to stick to the melted and refroze hard pack of the snow will just slide of. I hate getting pulled down the mountain in a snow slide, people sometimes get buried in them. I have set off some big slides before by being OB, very scary!

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”