DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I might just not worry about codes and let them try to catch me.

The biggest question would be how to get the water from the diverter outside the house and to somewhere where it would be useful. How do I find an "eco-plumber" who might have an interest in a project like this?
That's my girl. To hell with Tyranny!

There are many talented and hungry people. Maybe start at a nursery that have younger owners that are into alternative designs. Here, the Bullock brothers are just one Island over.

Can you access the plumbing in the basement?

Eric

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

rot wrote:..
Well I like the limerick potential - Nantucket, bucket and so on.
While gardening deep in Nantucket
I came 'cross some sludge in a bucket.
"Is it safe?" I conjectured.
"Has it been manufectured?"
"If it has," I thought, "then I'll just . . . chuck it." :D

rot
Greener Thumb

TheWaterbug wrote:
While gardening deep in Nantucket
I came 'cross some sludge in a bucket.
"Is it safe?" I conjectured.
"Has it been manufectured?"
"If it has," I thought, "then I'll just . . . chuck it." :D
Love it

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

This Old House Hour visits people who write in asking for help with household projects. They did a show that I saw a few months ago where they visited a lady in LA or San Fran who wanted to run her washing machine out into the garden. It's perfectly legal (with appropriate restrictions, I assume) in whatever town that was.

They put in a valve so she could switch between the graywater line and the sewer, so bleached loads etc. could be directed to the sewer. Then ran a pipe through the back wall and hooked it into a system of buried flexible plastic pipe (like drip irrigation piping) with outlets along the way, buried in the flower beds and amongst the bushes.

They did recommend that she use biodegradable detergents so as not to have a buildup of detergent in the soil.

Very simple in a place where it's legal and doesn't freeze up in winter. :D

The problem with storing in a cistern or tank is that it will get funky very fast! Think dirty sock funk, incubated in a nutrient soup. :shock:

I'm sure there's a lot of stuff on the web about this. I'd like to do some of it myself.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Here it is, Ask This Old House episode 1017 from Jan 2012.

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tv/ask- ... 23,00.html

You can click ahead to Scene 3 for the project.

Return to “Composting Forum”