pinksand
Greener Thumb

Tempted to purchase a Weeping Pussy Willow

I came across a weeping pussy willow (Salix caprea 'Pendula) the other day and am contemplating this purchase. The plant is currently only about 1-2' tall and I was planning to plant it in a pot in the Spring and eventually move it to a garden I plan to form over the next couple of years (it's currently grass). This garden would have room for it to grow and would receive full sun.

Does anyone have any experience with this plant? What do you think about initially keeping this tree in a pot? Is it a terrible idea to purchase this tree altogether? It was just so cute and I've always loved the look of weeping trees.

Hortman

Hello pinksand. Ken here in the Chicago area. The Sunset Western Garden Book
says that your weeping pussy willow is most effective staked to form a small weeping
tree. It should get 6-8 feet high and 6 feet wide. So your answer is yes, you can keep
it in a pot for a few years until its home is ready. Make sure it gets full sun and ample water.
Let us know how it grows.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Thanks for your input Hortman :) I just might give this little tree a try! I'm a little concerned about it drying out if I go out of town since it sounds like it really does like it's soil moist.

Return to “Perennials”