Jardin du Fort

WOOHOO Elizabeth!

Yes, kicking the nicotine habit can be tough. You ARE doing it. Every day without a C stick is a victory! :clap:

Although you can provide incentive to G, ultimately only HE can motivate himself. I will pray that he gets that motivation!

It has warmed up here in the Fort, but has begun to rain. I guess it helps by washing away the dirt that collects on the snow...... I just hate that thirty-something and damp though, because the cold just goes straight to the old bones. 'Tis a good night to stay in.... although the wife is headed out for her semi-weekly stint watching kids at the church. I'll heat up some of my left-over spaghetti, have a mug o' hot chocolate, and read a good book.

LA47
Green Thumb

You've made me think about depression due to little sunlight. It's been too cold and snowy for me to go out much even if the sun is shining. Isn't it vitamin D that is needed to combat this? I think I should check into this.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I am takink D, calcium, C and potassium. Actually taking pre natal vitamins plus some. Had major foot and leg cramps last night - like make me cry kind of cramps. Crawled out of the house and went to the store down the street for bananas. So bananas for the potassium satsumas for C. Lots of water and OJ. OMG withdrawal is a big B.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

You can do this, Elizabeth!

It isn't all you, G is has a part in this, right? I hope this isn't a she smokes a cig/I eat a pie thing? That might lead to sabotage! I recommend that G cries so as to reinforce your commitment to not-smoking.

DW & I met during one of my many efforts to quit smoking. At first, it may have just been my sneaky nature and not smoking around her. Later, I couldn't be sneaky because she knew all my bad habits and was on the lookout. More like sniff-out. She'd cry when I smelled of tobacco smoke . . . I had to quit even going in places that allowed smoking - sheesh!

My 1st wife didn't seem to care even tho' she wasn't a smoker. But then, she was the one who cut the brake lines on the car I drove to work.

Steve

Jardin du Fort

Elizabeth,

You might want to add magnesium to the supplements. I always eat a banana a day, and drink milk, but still get leg cramps on occasion. When I get them, I take mag. and no more cramps!

:)

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Elizabeth, I quit smoking almost 4 years ago and I smoked for about 15 years. It gets easier in time. You need to throw away ashtrays, lighters, cigarettes, and stay away from smokers. You will find other things to fill that void of not smoking. I felt like I didn't know what to do with all the extra time, and found myself going outside constantly out of habit ( I used to smoke outdoors only). Or I also was constantly drinking something or eating something, I needed something to do with my hands. Just remember, as each day passes the addiction gets weaker and the cravings become less often. Also think how you will save money, and how you will be screwing over the tobacco companies for each cigarette you don't smoke they lose money. Your senses will be better, you'll breathe better, you'll smell better, you don't have to worry about the inconvenience of having to smoke away from those who don't like second hand smoke etc.

Occasionally I will get a whiff of tobacco smoke and it reminds me of how I used to smoke and for a split second I get a craving. But as quickly as I get that idea it goes away too. After you have some years behind you you have a lot more strength than the addiction. Occasionally too when I am nervous/anxious I get a quick idea to have a cigarette, but again, as quickly as I get the idea it goes away. I try to think of it as I may only get one chance in my life to quit smoking and I never want to screw that up. I started smoking in Jr high because of peer pressure and I also thought it was cool. I could have said no and never smoked. Now that I do not smoke I feel I am back in that position and it would be very stupid of me to start smoking again. You really get nothing out of it.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Not sure if scared straight tactics work, but if you want to see what cigarettes did to a beautiful woman, look up Terrie Hall on Youtube. Terrie Hall: In Her Words Presentation (6 parts).
I will not post the link here. You are on your own if you would like to see.

I believe the junior high health class kept me from smoking. I've never had the desire.

Eric

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

OMG - thank you all so much for your support and good wishes. Withdrawal is a real b****. I think I am over the worst of it although I am still very anxious and have a huge headache and foot and leg cramps. I am doing everything I am suposed to do when it comes to vitamins, fluids, lean and green eating. I do crave Oreos and milk. Not a real problem - I can afford to gain 5 - 10 lbs. That would actually be a good thing since I am very scrawny. A little weight would be OK. My sweet man said he REALLY had to go out of town for work because I was meaner than a snake in spring. Yeah a real B. Bless his heart - he has been bringing me breakfast in bed. I kind of missed that this morning. He is such a sweet heart. He has been calling me every couple of hours just to see how I am feeling and to tell me he loves me. Sigh! I am a lucky woman. My Honey is back on his diet and has lost 8 lbs since Tuesday.

Thank you guys and gals - you are all so special :!:

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

ElizabethB........So proud of you. You "will" make it. We are really all here for you.

I didn't know you had quit, haven't been on for awhile.

Still sorting and cleaning out. :oops:

I'm getting there though. You will too. Thankfully I never wanted to smoke.

So nice that you and hubby are working together on your addictions. With

double help you both will make it. :clap:

Still buying myself fresh flowers, a real treat, since I never did that before.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Thank you all :clap: Still hanging in there. Had a trial Saturday. G took his bud hunting. His bud D shot a nice wild pig - 130 lbs. So Saturday we went to D's house in the big time country - nothing but rice fields and cattle - 30 minutes from the nearest small town an hour from Lafayette. The guys cut the pig up then cooked some pork steaks. Lots of beer - which I don't drink but I did bring my wine. D and his wife are both heavy smokers. I mean chain smokers. I was so proud of myself - stuck with it and did not have a smoke. Next big test is next Saturday. I spent 6 years active duty Navy and 16 years USNR. We are have the first old fart lying reuion of my reserve unit next Saturday. Another big challenge that I vow to overcome. I will drink my wine but will not smoke. So there.

Thanks all for your support!

Jardin du Fort

Congratulations Elizabeth! One big hurdle is past, and you did it well!

You might be surprised at the "old fart lying convention" to find others that have quit the C-stick, or wish they could. If someone from that group tells you you shouldn't have quit you know two things: They're an old fart, and they're lying. You WILL succeed and you WILL be proud of yourself!

:clap:

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Jardin -so true. The fact is that very few of my old buds smoke any more.
So the few that do will be sitting outside in the cold. HA hA!

Jardin du Fort

ElizabethB wrote:Next big test is next Saturday. I spent 6 years active duty Navy and 16 years USNR. We are have the first old fart lying reuion of my reserve unit next Saturday. Another big challenge that I vow to overcome. I will drink my wine but will not smoke. So there.

Thanks all for your support!
Hoping the OFLR went well and you passed with flying colors! :clap:

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Had a wonderful time at the reunion! :D So glad to see those guys. For so many years they were my second family. In the military you develop a bond that civilians can not fathom. Out of 20 sailors and 6 spouses there were only 3 smokers. I did drink too much wine but managed not to smoke. :clap: G wasn't over enthusiastic about going with me - he really did not know my ship mates but he had a good time as well and was my designated driver. My shipmate Rudy and his wife Jimmie hosted the gathering at their camp. It is 35 acres in the middle of no-where outside of Iowa, La. They have a cabin and a motor home on the property. There are lots of woods and a very nice pond. Nothing fancy - in fact quiet rustic. We all had plenty to eat and drink. After the initial hugs we all quickly fell back into a pattern of good conversation - sharing memories of good times and bad. Remembering shipmates who are no longer with us. Training trips we had taken together. COs good and bad. Of course we have all aged. Gee how does that happen? But all and all a wonderful time was had by all.

Still hanging in there. The physical issues are past the "want" is still there. I am looking forward to the day when the smell of c smoke makes me ill instead of making me want to inhale.

Thanks all.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

ElizabethB wrote:. . . Still hanging in there. The physical issues are past the "want" is still there. I am looking forward to the day when the smell of c smoke makes me ill instead of making me want to inhale. . .
That will come, Elizabeth. I'm afraid the "want" will be with you a long time.

Those moments when you really feel the "need" for a smoke - we can't expect them to go away.

For me, it was driving in traffic when I am in a hurry. Waiting thru 3 light changes to be able to cross an intersection. Having to stop at red lights every 3 blocks for 2 miles of city driving . . ! Getting trapped behind a city bus and having every car behind me pull into the left-hand lane to pass at every bus stop - one-at-a-time from the car farthest back right up to the idiot on my rear bumper!

These experiences never went away despite my bumpersticker which clearly states:

If God Had Intended Man to Smoke,
He Would Have Set Him on Fire!

Steve Image

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

But you will get to where the smell of a room full of smoke or someone smoking in a car will be disgusting. My partner smoked age 14 to 40, but smoke is disgusting to her now.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”