Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Oh I am so excited.... We actually were "sort" of organized enough to cook our first dinner in here.

Was so nice to eat real food again. :D

Still getting things out of the totes to organize in the kitchen, now finding the doubles of some things, and things I'm not keeping.

2 more big totes to go through, and one medium sized one, for the kitchen.

Then start on the rest of the totes one at a time, argggg how could I have let this happen??

This coming weekend, hubby has 4 days off, so our grandson is going to

help and they are going to put flooring down upstairs, and in our "very" little
office.
Then we can get our bookcases out of the dining room, plus the dvd cabinets.

Maybe we will be able to get our table and chairs organized, and have a
dining room "finally" a place to sit and eat, instead of sitting on the chesterfield.

Next comes the place where the tv goes. Get that all set up, oh I am Sooo excited.

I think now, that it's a good thing we didn't find a place to rent, this way we are actually going to go through every last tote we have packed, sort it all, downsize and "not" bring more into the house, except food, lol. :oops:

How are the rest of you doing??????

LA47
Green Thumb

:oops: I had good intensions but had to drive 60 miles to the 'big' town to finish off my Christmas gifts. Our Bunn coffee pot is so old that it has not been acting right so Hubby and I decided get us one and call it 'our' present to each other. I did walk around yesterday and picked out a few things. I'll get a box tomorrow and start. G-kinds will be here in 9 days so I want them to chose what they want. I just want to donate it but Hubby said wait untill I'm done as I have have some expensive or unique things that my be worth advertising. I just want them gone so I don't say...well, (whiney voice used here) I really like this so maybe I should keep it.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

LA47......Hey everybody gets sidetracked once in awhile.
I know where you are coming from, you look twice at it, and then you start doing a re-think.
That's where things go off the rail.. Lol. :oops:

I'm still going through the darn kitchen stuff... :x

Now it's not so much fun anymore... :roll: But I am into the stuff that will be donated.

I honestly cannot believe that I managed to drag all of this stuff together and "think" I needed it all. :roll:

Thankfully I went through all my china, ornaments, little collectables? before
we moved 5 yrs ago.

So I only have what fits in my china cabinet, which is "not" huge. It's a nice rounded corner cabinet, with lights in it.

I absolutely "refuse" to put anymore in it. Plus don't have stuff around the house sitting here and there.

Seems to be 2 real "bad" spots for me...Office items, papers etc. and Kitchen stuff.

I am scared to even think about going through the office stuff. :oops:

Then this morning, I did it AGAIN....Didn't start the dishwasher properly ( it's new, and I'm just getting used to it)
So couldn't un-load it and load up again. But did un-load one whole big tote while I was waiting. :)

Hubby has 3 days off, so is busy taking old junk off the walls where our little office is going.

So once he's done in there, we can move our bookcases in, plus dvd cabinets, hopefully a little desk and the computer. I hope. :roll:

Then we can actually put out table and chairs in the dining room. YAY...

I am Sooooooo glad we bought a SMALL house. :wink:

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:( Oh my goodness, thought I was done today, except washing it all.

Not :shock: I had all the totes I had upstairs emptyed, but did say I couldn't find my goodware dishes to hubby.

So he goes down to the basement and "finds" another tote of kitchen items...Worst part is, it doesn't even have the good dishes in there :oops:

So down there "lurking" somewhere is "another" tote of dishes. This is getting right depressing now. :(

But on a brighter note, I have got a bunch of stuff set aside to donate. :)

I know I will be finding more!!!! :roll: Nuts......

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I love the way this thread has evolved. I think our clutter issue really got out of control 3 years ago. We had a water leak that ruined the floors in all 3 bedrooms and the hall. We had to empty all of the closets and drawers in order to get stuff out and the floors dried and new ones installed. Everything ended up in the dining/sitting room and the den. Only a little of what we took out got back to closets and drawers mainly because so much of it was junk. Well the den is de-junked. I have 3 boxes sitting next to the door ready to be donated. I made a start in the dining/sitting room. slill have a ways to go in there. Put my project n hold this past week because G had some use or lose vacation so we did some joint errands and an overnight road trip. Just spending time together. Went out to dinner last night at a new little restaurant. Really good food and excellent service.

I digress. G has to go to Houston Monday and Tuesday. He will be leaving from there to take customers on a hunting trip in south Texas and won't be home until Sunday or Monday. So my first mission is to scrub down the now decluttered den from ceiling to floor. Then I will get back into to the dining/sitting room (refered to as the black hole) to continue the declutter process. I also have to get some Christmas shopping done.

It was kind of like Christmas going through boxes and bins. I found treasures that I forgot I had - not junk - stuff I will really either use or display. The treasures I re-boxed, labeled and put in the attic. Once the den and black hole are cleaned out I will be able to display my treasures.

:oops: Embarrassed to say that I have a 10' x 10' storage locker full. The majority of the furniture pieces I will be able to put into use. I also have lots of decorative items and art work that I will use. I am well aware that a lot of stuff will have to go. Since a lot of it is from departed family members my sibs will get first dibs. The rest will be donated. Talk about sick - I have already spent $1,200 in storage fees on this locker and won't be able to get to it until next year. Put a sign on my butt that says "kick me".

So my agenda for next week is to scrub down the den and finish decluttering the black hole. Hopefully have time to scrub it down as well. Finish my shopping.

The kitchen, pantry and laundry room are not in as bad shape. There is some clutter but I pretty much stay on top of that. Ther are a few things that need to go like small appliances that are NEVER used. I just need to empty and clean every cabinet and drawer. Now I need some suggestions. G collects ball caps - you know the ones - give aways with company logos. He has over 100 and can only wear one at a time. I am getting resistance on disposing of them. If he doesn't bend a little I will box them up and put them in the attic. After a while he will forget about them then out they go.

The final REALLY big hurdle will be his office. OMG! paper, paper, paper every where :!:

Oh well - not going to worry about the kitchen or office until next year.

So glad every one is making such good progress. Keep it up.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

ElizabethB............

I got up this morning, the sun is shining and I just feel like running away from home. :cry: This has really got me down. Everywhere I look there is "stuff", all out of order, and just a mess, waiting for a home "somewhere" Either here or somebody else's. :oops:
Then it hit me last night that CHRISTMAS is coming, way sooner than I ever thought. :shock: I'm supposed to be cooking the meal, our kids and grandkids ( only 7 of us total thankfully) are coming and I just want to run away... :(
This is not the time for Christmas, for me anyway. I am no where near ready. :(
The dishwasher hasn't stopped in days, the thing gets un-loaded then loaded up again....Never ending. What did I think I was? Some fancy CHEF? LMFAO
This I "need" help on....I have a brand new breadmaker---except it's 5 yrs old!!! Still in the box, never unpacked.

WHAT should I DO with it???

Ideas anybody??????

RAINBOWGARDENER-----HELP????? I need ideas PLEASE??

ElizabethB----Your'e right this thread really did evolve into something totally different. I DO think this stuff does cause winter blues! :cry:

I like a nice tidy home....this is "not" it. Hubby is working so hard getting our little office ready---Then measured the bookcases and to get the three in, it's 2 "inches" short on the one wall---I really could have cried when I heard that. We were really sure it was all going to fit, now? Have no idea what we will do.

Well hubby fixed the problem... :clap: He is going to move the light switch to the outside of the room, the reason it won't fit is because the doorway is on an angle. The bookcase would cover the lightswitch. So to get the two inches, it needs to be moved. Sooo more work. :(

Well if we can get that room ready today, the stuff can go in. I can actually get the dining room to look like a dining room tonight.
Because now it's full speed ahead...Or fuller speed ahead. :roll: Like we haven't been going full speed anyway. Arrrrgggg!!!!!

This whole thing is really getting me down. I just don't need Christmas in the middle of all of this. :roll:

Guess I'd better get off of here and back to un-loading the dishwasher etc.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Green - don't get down. Get the kitchen and living spaces spruced up and stuff every thing in the other rooms until after Christmas. Since you do not have a mob for Christmas (we range from 25-35 all family and close friends) start cooking while you are cleaning. Caseroles can be cooked ahead and frozen. So can breads and deserts. Did you find you good dishes? Set your table and cover it with dry cleaner bags to keep the dust off. One less last minute thing to worry about. Take a break from the heavy organization until after Christmas. Allow yourself to enjoy the season and your family. Pour yourself a glass of wine, sit down and take a deep breath. When I was in a blue funk I was advised to get myself a bouquet of flowers which I did. Amazing how much better I felt after arranging my flowers. You need a break. You don't HAVE to get the office organized this minute. It can wait until after Christmas. As long as your living spaces and kitchen are half way decent you can take a break and enjoy Christmas with your family. That is so much more important than an organized house. Chin up kiddo - you will get there just don't be so hard on yourself.

Deep breathes, flowers, wine more deep breaths more wine. Amazing how much better you will feel. Oh - take a night off and go out to dinner and a movie with your husband. He is also stressed and the two of you need a little break from the insanity to reconnect.

Take care my friend. Don't let this process overwhelm you. You have me worried about you. Slow and easy from now until after Christmas. Promise? Please.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

ElizabethB....You are so kind with your thoughts. No didn't find my good dishes "yet" So they are "lurking" in a tote in the basement somewhere??

My kitchen counters are full of things to go in the dishwasher, again...
I have awhole bunch of kitchen utensils, and be darned, "what" did I find in this last tote....A whole bag full, of more of them. :shock:

Poor hubby is working away on the office, and it should be finished tonight.
Then bookcases/dvd cabinets go in there, then we can actually set up the dining room. It will all get done this week, but in the meantime I wish I knew how to make CESAR Drinks, LOL. :D
I'd be sitting here sorting, VERY happy, haha.

I'm sorry you are worried about me, but it's all been so stressful, what with the contractor driving us nuts, then trying to get organized in a hurry.

Then finding W-A-Y more than you ever imagined for things. Oh my!!!! :(

To be honest I NEVER thought we had this much stuff packed away in those totes. WOW!!!!!

The "ONLY" thing I can say is, I sure don't need or want another darn thing!!! EXCEPT FLOWERS. :D

ElizabethB.....I did look at flowers in the grocery store last night, they are so pretty. Once that dining room is done, I'm off to buy some!

Because I obviously really need a boost, :oops: Yep the wine, then a little more wine sounds fine, lol. I like Cesar's better though. :D

I'll be back on here and let you all know how things went by tonight. nutz:

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Whatever works for you - you REALLY need a break. You are pushing yourself to a breaking point. Don't go there. The junk isn't going anywhere. You can deal with it later. Shove it out of the way until after Christmas and allow yourself to enjoy your family. Take care Kiddo!

Flowers ASAP! Really great mood boost!

LA47
Green Thumb

I second ElizabethB cure. I was getting all upset and the grandkids and great-grandson are coming on the 22nd and staying until the 27th! 4 of them! :shock: All I could think of is that I only have 1 spare room with a full size bed. Where was I going to put them all? How about feeding that many for 5 days. Then I took a deep breath and did a little planning. First the grandaughter and hubby=the bedroom, grandson and great-grandson=hideabed sofa. Food-fix ahead and freeze 2 meals, homemade chili and cornbread and lasagna. Now I'm getting excited. I have a back up plan in place to. It's called 'the local bar'! :()

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

LA - like your back up plan.

I have a stepson, daughter-in-law and 2 grands - 12 boy and 9 year old girl. Our house is only 3 bedrooms and the 3rd bedroom is G's office. We have been setting out a blow up mattress for the childrenin the office. They are now too old too share a room much less a bed. My idea is to put a single sleeper chair in the office and another in the dining/sitting room for the children. Functional furniture when they are not here and beds for them when they do visit.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Green - you REALLY need to get out of the house. Go out to dinner, go for a walk with your husband and hold hands, go get those flowers even if your dining room is not done. Your stress level is over the top. Go easy girl. It really isn't that important. Your husband, your family, Christmas - THAT is important. Let it go for a while. You really remind me of myself. I can get so wrapped up that I forget about the joy of life. There is something in me that makes me want to be perfect. Ya know what - I am not perfect - not in any aspect of my life. At my age I have gotten an attitude - you either like this old B or you don't - I don't care. I have no one to impress. I have G and my family and friends who love me warts and all. That is not to say that I do not strut my stuff because I can and do on occassion. Just go easy Green. Take a break.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

ElizabethB and LA47.......Well I decided to take both your advise. :oops:

Decided that I don't want hubby and Grandson looking for anymore kitchen things. I have the last load in the dishwasher right now.

Tomorrow will be used to go through a bunch of pkgs that I ordered from various places, for Christmas presents, So need to open them up while no one is around and get them sorted and wrapped.

Then the other stuff will be a clean up sort, so I can get all the small junk out of the dining and living room.

It will take awhile in one way, and not so much in another. It's actually "really" going to get my mind off a lot of things. Plus make me really "see" things are happening.

Also wrapping Christmas gifts will get me more in the spirit of Christmas. :wink:

Unfortunately this sort, is something that only I can do, because it's my junk. :roll:

But perfect I'm not either, it's just that I want the place to actually look like a house, instead of a dump. I know, it's stuff that sits here. It won't go anywhere, Lol.

Hubby did get the office almost completely finished. Just some beading to put up in the corners, and change the light fixture. Plus they put all the bookcases and dvd cabinets in there, oh and the desk and computer. YAY.

He definately wants to finish the room before I load up books in there and dvd's. Can't believe how much furniture that room took, with the right organization. It doesn't even look messy either. :D

Tomorrow for me is going to be kind of like a rest, don't need to see cooking items. Sure is a lot going to go..... :shock:

I will actually be able to get the countertops tidy. Virtually nothing on there now. So a slow putz type of day.

Then tuesday night we "are" going to go out for supper and a drink. I need it!!!!

Might even be able to go get those flowers after supper too. I'd love that. :)

Didn't even realize how uptight I had gotten, until you both said something on here. Thanks, I needed the lecture. :wink:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, lots of good advice from ElizabethB.

I need to get pushing a little harder on Christmas too, it sneaked up on me! :) Have house guests arriving Friday!

Did soap making and hand lotion making yesterday, using my home made fragrance oils. Decided that some of the gift baskets will get little vials of fragrance oils in them, because I have some how accumulated way too many! When you use them, you only use a few drops at a time, it's hard to use them up...

So now what is left for the gift basket project is more baking and some candy making and assembling all the baskets. But I still do need to do a little shopping, for stocking stuffers and for MH who just would not be thrilled by any of the things I make!!

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Yeah Green! :clap: So glad you decided to lighten up on yourself. Unpacking and wrapping your gifts should really help lighten your mood. Put some Christmas music on while you do it. Focus on the joy your gifts will bring. I spoke to my Mother last night and she is getting a little stressed. My brother and sister-in-law will be arriving Thursday from Colorado. We also do Christmas Eve at her house. So she is trying to cook, clean house (which to my eyes is always immaculate but at 81 she thinks she has to dust moldings and wax her wood floors (yes she uses Johnson's paste wax on solid wood floors and has an old buffer to shine them up.) She is also stressed because she has not gotten her tree up. Anyway - I told her I will go over tomorrow and be her slave. Bless her heart - I could feel some of the stress leaving her even over the phone. I will pick up a bouquet of flowers on my way to her house.

It is easy for me to get caught up in minutiae and forget that this is a joyous season. I have to remind myself that none of us are getting any younger and the Christmas that we have left to share are limited.

A clean, organized house is much less important than the time and joy spent with my family.

Any who - once again I have rambled on.

Take care.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I am giving the grandkids gift cards.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I am doing a lot of gift cards as well. The sibs pull names - some have specific things that they want but most want gift cards to do their own shopping. We usually get together on Mom's gift. This year baby sis is doing her own thing and so is one of my brothers. My baby brother and his daughter have been living with Mom for - wow - 2 years now. He kind of pumped her for ideas and found that she really wants a new, light weight, multi floor vacuum cleaner. So 2 brothers, middle sis and myself will be getting her a nice, light weight, multi floor, baggless Dyson.

My issue is always with the nieces, nephews, great nieces, great nephews and the grands. The older nieces and nephews will be getting gift cards. The 2 eldest nephews get restaurant gift cards. I have been doing that for several years and they love it. The two older nieces both need houshold items. One spent the last year in South Korea teaching English. she and her new husband have moved to Dallas. New apartment new jobs plus night school for their MBA's. So gift cards for them. Another niece is living in Houston and will be getting married in April in Vegas - so they get a pre paid Visa for what ever they want. My other adult niece has CP and wants art supplies so Hobby Lobby gift card for her. The young ones require a little more thought and planning. My 7 year old niece is a very big girl (wears 10- 12) and always needs clothes so I got her a complete outfit - top, pants, socks, shoes and headband. My sister's grands are 5 & 6 and have fallen in love with Star Wars so a boxed DVD set for them. I am a little undone with my daughter-in-law. When I asked what the grands wanted for Christmas she gave me a list of brand specific clothes as if anything else would not be suitable. I have to chill on that. Just got a list for my great nephew and niece - much more generic than the list for the grands. Sussy gifts for my sibs and in-laws include jewlry from Charming Charlie for the women and baked goods for the guys.

Once again I go on and on and on way too much.

Merry Christmas one and all :!:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I removed. Sorry folks.

Eric
Last edited by DoubleDogFarm on Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

LA47
Green Thumb

Well I let time slip up on me too. With rebuilding this old house, we decided to take a break. All that still had to be done was the M. Bath and the tile back-splash in the kitchen. Hubby decided to start the tile last week. Need I say it took longer than we thought??? We are finally ready to do the grouting, Wait 2 days, then seal it! That's the day the grands will get here. :shock: Oh, well, tough. If the table is full of counter top items, we can eat on our laps. It's only one day. I'm spending most of my time sorting through stuff so the grands can take what they want before I donate it. I'm STILL TRYING TO UNJUNK MY HOUSE...and I WILL get it done!!

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

DDF.....You have us down pat! nutz: Lol.

Oh my gosh, I thought I weas going to have a nice relaxing day un-packing gifts, WRONG... I found "more" kitchen pots!!!

I must have totally tipped over somewhere along the line, and am "now" trying to get back to a sort of sense of sanity. :oops:

I called my son and asked him what he wanted, well I'm loading up for him!!!

He will be getting a whole tote full, of kitchen useful things and gadgets :lol:

Then realized that I have nothing for one grandson, and not much for the other two. :shock:

Then realized that hubby's present is in the basement, have the other things here, except for a dvd I ordered and can't find???

Not even sure if I got it??? This is Not good.

Plus the oldest Grandson that lives with us, has his Birthday Dec. 24th. No present for his birthday either. :shock:

WOW I have some shopping to do. With a "list" of very specific things.
Am I ever glad I went through all of these boxes etc. today...

I came to the conclusion, I just plain can't do this "all" myself, as far as tidying up the dining room and living room. I did a bunch but....HELP....

So Grandson and poor Hubby will be helping tidy this mess up tonight with me. :(

Nothing else I can do, I just can't do it all, or I am going to be a basket case by Christmas ( or sooner)

Sometimes many hands make light work. I hope. Because now the kitchen cabinet tops are a mess "again" . Back to the dishwasher. :(

I know I need to re-organize almost all of the cupboards, to make things convienant.

When I/we are done emptying all of the totes, we will have gotten rid of so much and be ORGANIZED!!!!

I don't need to buy another thing ever, except for food. :shock:

Just call me----Kathy---I AM A HOARDER.. :(

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I removed. Sorry folks.

Eric
Last edited by DoubleDogFarm on Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

DDF......You come up with the most approppriate songs. :wink:

I feel like the world has caved in, but after looking at the poor and the

brave soldiers, somehow my junk ( to me) doesn't seem quite so bad...

I "will" get there, :roll: Just need some help right now. Which Grandson, and Hubby have very kindly offered. :oops:

Hubby has tomorrow off, I think both of us need to get out of here for a few hours.
Take all the things our son wants and go to the Red Lobster for dinner.Have to go to Calgary for that, but would be a nice break..

Then go buy Flowers. A few Pretty ones. :D

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Eric - I was almost POed over the clip - here we all are fighting junk, clutter, holiday stress and you post this very downer clip - until I read the quote at the end. Thanks.

Green and Rainbow - hang in there. Got G off this morning for his business/customer hunting trip. Going to help Mom with her tree and cleaning. Will bring her a bouquet of flowers. Have only gotten 3 gifts. Still much to do but have decided NOT to allow myself to stress. The house is currently on hold. I have to get my shopping done and more baking. Looks like the kids and grands may be spending a night with us sometime between now and Christmas or maybe a day or 2 after Christmas. No place for them to sleep at the moment since I have been using the spare bedroom as a depository of "deal with later" stuff. Sigh :!: I look back to last year. Christmas Eve - trying to wrap gifts, cook my drunk pork roast to bring for Christmas dinner, trying to make room for the kids and grands. About 2 pm I had a melt down. Shaking, sobbing generally nuts. I will NOT do that this year. If it gets done good if not oh well. This old earth will keep on spinning. IF the bedroom gets cleaned out great - if not B&H will get our bed, G & I will sleep in our recliners and the grands can sleep on the couches or the air mattress on the floor. I refuse to let stress ruin my Christmas.

Both of my sisters are so organized. They have the majority of their shopping done before Thanksgiving. Every year I tell myself that I will plan better but it never happens. Oh well.

Take care all. Wine, dinner out, Christmas music, more wine, a long walk, more wine, flowers, did I say wine?

You guys and gals are the best.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Green Mantis wrote:ElizabethB............

This I "need" help on....I have a brand new breadmaker---except it's 5 yrs old!!! Still in the box, never unpacked.

WHAT should I DO with it???

Ideas anybody??????

RAINBOWGARDENER-----HELP????? I need ideas PLEASE??
In your situation, with a bunch of stuff to get rid of, some of which is unused/ good quality, I might think about an eBay selling service. It is a place that you can take your stuff to, they do all the work of selling it on eBay and share the take with you. You could of course do it yourself, but in the meantime while you are waiting to get the time and energy to take and upload photos, write descriptions, post on eBay, deal with responses, the stuff is still cluttering up your house.

Generally you don't pay the selling service anything unless/ until the item(s) sell and then they take 1/4 - 1/2. So I wouldn't do it for any little stuff, just donate it. But if you have some items with actual value, that way you get them out of the house, you don't have to do any work, and you still get a little bit of cash back out of it. I'd make a separate pile somewhere until you get a few items collected and then contact a seller.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

OMG - yes e-Bay. My baby brother fly fishes. He was given bunches of feathers for fly making because he promtes sponsers on his radio show and in his "how to" demos. Any way - he had all of these really beautiful, long feathers. He sold them on e-Bay as "hair feathers" fot those girls weaving feathers in their hair. In 6 months he made $2K selling fethers :!: :!:

WHAT :?: :?: :?:

You can make a buck on anything on e-bay. I was blown away at the response bro got for feathers :!:

Oh well - there is a sucker born every day.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Well this sucker is done buying. :oops:

Still working on trying to get this house straightened up, hubby found the good china, finally. So will get it upstairs and get the dishwasher going again. :roll:

Haven't got a tree up or any decorating done, just not in the mood, yet anyway?

Tonight we are doing a real good tidy, and get our TV up, the living room arranged, etc.

I did decide to sell some things on our local kijiji, sold the breadmaker, still have other things, but our son's kitchen things are wearing out, so he is getting a bunch of things.

After taking things out of cupboards, :roll: putting them in son's tote and selling the breadmaker made a big difference.

Haven't wrapped any gifts, I just feel worn out. Hopefully by tonight I will feel a bit more enthusiastic.

Just not in the Christmas Mood this year??? Guess the move, stress with the contractor, and un-loading things just caught up with me.

To be honest I'd like to go somewhere else for Christmas....... :oops:

Hope the Christmas spirit hits soon???

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Green - you worry me. If the tree doesn't get up it doesn't get up. When your family arrives let them put up the tree. It may actually be a treat for them. Mom has been seriously stressed so I went to her house yesterday to put up her tree and decorate. I could see the relief in her. I enjoyed it. I put out decorations that are as old as I am. Got rid of Scrouge. Renewed my Christmas spirit. Let your family do that for your. If the gifts don't get wrapped they don't get wrapped - no big deal. Pick 1 or 2 of your family members to wrap for you. What happened to "It's the thought that counts"? If the kids have to sleep on sleeping bags on the floor they will survive.

Glad you found your china but if you keep going the way you are going there may be nothing left of YOU by Christmas.

Chill Chick - be cool - it REALLY is all good.

Merry Christmas

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Nice post, Elizabeth! All I can say is I agree 100%. People take all the fun out of Christmas for themselves, by stressing about inessentials. The only essential is sharing the Christmas spirit (joy, love, hope) with friends and family, building memories and traditions. Being together stringing popcorn, singing Christmas carols, or whatever makes you feel the holiday is way more important than what your house looks like. :)

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Rainbow - love you girl! We may have very diverse opinions about lots of stuff (can't be discussed on this forum) but at heart we both have a strong sence of family values and what is really important in life. That is what gives me strength. My sister's sister-in-law lives in Cincinnati. She is this small town southern girl living in a big northern city. I see her every 2 or 3 years and laugh my a off at her big city stories. She worked for "Joy of Cooking" until they moved their operation to Forida a few years ago. The stories she tells keep me in stitches.

BTW - I am putting together a seed package for you. It won't get out until next year - just too much on my plate right now. But any way - hopeflly stuff you do not have and can still grow. No cheating :!: It will be a SURPRISE :!:

Hang in there Green!

Merry Christmas one and all.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Well have decided that the kids will have to help a bunch.

Why not, they're the ones that are coming out so they can help the old gal get her Christmas Spirit back. :D

It's obviously time to relax, and let what happens happen.. I've got almost all my groceries, just not all the presents, but since they all waited until it was too late to tell me what they want, they are going to get a gift card with the money in it to go buy it themselves.

Yes they will be all over the place, but the place is a mess anyway sooooo really won't matter. :) I'll get everything cleaned up after they leave.

Then I won't feel so pressured. I'll have "all" winter to get it done then. :wink:

Have a great christmas all of you.

Thanks so much for your support. Really appreciated. :)

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Just wanted to update a bit.

Cleaning, sorting, putting things away, and things to the dump, still going on.

Not quite so discouraging now, that I realized I seriously can't do it "all" at once.

After a clean-up in the living room of a bunch of little fiddly, with what do you do with this stuff, things.?

Then I can put books dvd's and office supplies away. Then pictures on the wall.

But what I am really Happy about today, is I bought myself some beautiful

cut flowers in the store last night. :D They are the most beautiful White lily's

with the most awesome scent. It's wafting through the house, smells wonderful.

Flowers "Really" do cheer a person up!!!! :clap:

Jardin du Fort

I just found this thread. Wow, this is very insightful and I see you have all helped each other through this season! Unfortunately I must admit that I am quite familiar to some of your own peccadilloes. I struggle with Seasonal Affected Disorder. I have way too much stuff. Things are not neat and tidy. There seems to be too much to do and not enough time. The Christmas season is quite stressful. Etc. etc. etc.

To tell the truth, this year we did not put up a tree, or any lights, or even the front door wreath. It just seemed to be too much bother, so it didn't get done. Nevertheless, the holiday came and went just like always.

I think that my wife suffers a bit more from SAD, she gets quite depressed over the winter, even though she won't admit to it. She has a strong tendency to hibernate as much as she can.... I really need to buy her flowers! Although I've never really been into cut flowers, I can see how they would be a good mood lifter. As Green said
Flowers "Really" do cheer a person up!!!!
Unfortunately part of our problem is that my wife and I are too similar in our habits. If one of us was a hoarder and the other a space-monger we could counteract each other's foibles, but we're both collectors. The fact that we each like our own collections and fail to appreciate the other's is beside the point. :roll:

For the past many years I have worked outside all year round, including in the winter. That really helps me deal with SAD, since I am getting as much sunlight as is humanly possible. This year, however, I am doing different work, and am inside all day long. I do get out briefly, and so am getting a couple hours of sun each day, but I don't think it is enough. Nevertheless we (editorial we) carry on. :|

There is so much wisdom shared, encouragement, and commiseration among QueenB, Green, and Rainbow! Bravo! :clap:

Now I really must see about finding that box of kitchen gadgets that's been in the basement since we moved ten years ago. I think there's a steamer basket or three in it that I could use for tomorrow's dinner. I hope I can find the right box!

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Something tells me, if you haven't seen it in ten yrs, it's time for a clean-up. :eek:

Doesn't take long to get a "lot" of "things" we never use, or need. :roll:

But one box or tote at a time I guess. I look at it this way, if 2 things go out

one thing "might" be allowed in. But right now that rule is out the door, it's

out the door, nothing back in. Except for my Beautiful flowers. :D

This is taking way longer than I ever thought, but my junk, my clean-up. :oops:

SAD syndrome is not easy to live with, but we just have to do even one small clean up a day.

At least I have lovely flowers to smell well I sort. :D

Jardin du Fort

Well, I'm going to start with the flowers. Cleaning the mess is just that: a chore. It's gotta be done...... sometime. And the results will be worthwhile. But I think an immediate mood lifter is in order. I will check tonight though to see if I can find a vase to put flowers in. We only have twenty or so. But where are they? I hate to buy flowers in a vase when the flowers will be gone in a few days, but the vase will hang on forever :roll:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

you can buy the flowers as "stems" without a vase!

Keep plugging away at the clean up, just make sure a little bit gets done each day.

Do be sure you get outside in sunlight at least some (I have trouble working this one out myself in this cold weather).

Notice the days getting longer! Celebrate Imbolc/groundhog's day, Feb 2 at which time we will be half way to spring equinox!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Green Mantis really has short days at this time of year.

Here near 49° North, daylight hours are only about 8 hours -- so, 16 hours of darkness. Without a level horizon, I won't even get that much sun . . . The sun hugs the southern horizon when it comes up like an orange tabby stalking a grasshopper. And, then there are clouds. Ack!!

Never . . . the . . . less --- changes in the sun's path are dramatic this far north! Everyone in the mid-northern latitudes have now passed the latest sunrise. It was January 5th. The earliest sunset was back about a month ago. See, they balance out to the shortest day about December 21st.

Our sunsets are already about 20 minutes later in the "day" than in early December! I'm a morning person but still . . ! (Summer will come and I'll be going to bed while it is still daylight out :wink: .)

Steve

Jardin du Fort

Thanks RBG. I picked up a boquet at the local grocery. Stems, as you said. We have vases.... She likes them. I hope it elevates moods. I did find one steamer basket, but won't need it tonight, as I'm cooking my world famous spaghetti. That'll make the house smell good too!

We had a bit of thaw today, so the snow is largely melted, about half of the grass is showing. If it stays this warm (40's) I may get to dig up the one fence post footing that has been delaying the progress on that project!
Keep plugging away at the clean up, just make sure a little bit gets done each day.
Welllll...... that won't happen as there are other "commitments". At least not EVERY day. Maybe four or five days a week though. Of course we both seem to be equally good at making messes as cleaning them up :?

Steve (digitS') just how close to Canada are you? In Coeur d'Alene?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Jardin du Fort wrote:. . . Steve (digitS') just how close to Canada are you? In Coeur d'Alene?
Just east.

And a tad north.

Steve :)

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

How this thread has evolved :!: Love it. Coming out of nicotine withdrawal. Feel like s***. Don't need this very depressing rain. Want to get out and plant my new seeds but can not even get to the shop for my supplies. -wall- Really should be doing house work but really don't have the energy. Yeah - I am doing all of the right stuff - lots of juice and water, vitamins, lean and green eating. Still feel like c***. I will be 60 in February and have been smoking since I was 15. HUGE addiction. The addiction will pass. I am on the down side of withdrawal. Sucks big time :!: The major problem is the habit. I will fight that b**** the rest of my life. At least I can look forward to a longer life. I do have an ulterior motive. G is morbidly obese. He lost 140 lbs then very quickly gained 50 back. He never got down to a reasonable weight. Even after losing 140lbs he was still obese. So as much as I am addicted to smoking I am more addicted to loving him. If I quit smoking he HAS to get down to 200 lbs and maintain his weight. This is true love. I would die smoking if it were not for my love for my man. :oops:

Yep - I am still in love with my man :!:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”