lakinslow
Newly Registered

Autumn Blaze Maples

My husband and I just planted 3 Autumn Blaze maples about 3 weeks ago. One is doing really well with large, lush green leaves, but the other two have leaves that are turning brown. The one that is doing good has a bit more shade than the other two, but is planted in the same location. We have been watering them twice a day for a few hours with a slow trickle hose because we are not getting much rain right now. Does the brown leaves indicate that they are not getting enough water? Should we treat the trees with something?
Any insight would be deeply appreciated!

Thank You!

Jess
Greener Thumb

I don't know if this helps but Maples hate sun on their leaves in the morning when the leaves are still wet from dew. It scorches them. Could that be the reason? :roll:

opp2

I planted a new harelquin and an amur maple last year. Both trees leaves turned brown around the edges. They're both growing beautifully this year.

Also, I'd cut back on the water now unless they were bare root when you planted them.

lakinslow
Newly Registered

The humidity has been horrible lately here leaving a lot of moisture on the grass in the morning, so quite possibly the two trees that do not have the shade in the morning are turning brown because of the morning sun...

I will also take into consideration that I might be watering them too much. They were not bare root to begin with. I had heard that maples hold up really well in drought conditions, so maybe they do not need the over-abundance of water I am giving them.

I also read elsewhere on the internet that wind can cause the leaves to turn brown. We have been recieving strong wind lately, so I really don't know.

Thanks for the helpful advice from both of you!!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”