Susan W
Greener Thumb

Boy-girl thing

The Houston kids here for a couple of days. DiL in banking (traditional male dominated field). I had the 3 1/2 yr old g-son (here) show 4 1/2 yr old going on princess g-daughter how to take the bowl of kitchen scraps to compost. The I turn with fork and we look at the worms. She was a squirmy lil' princess! Her Mom said she doesn't like worms, and hinted the 'girl' thing. Being a good MiL, kept my tongue.

I guess all of us females here went down the wrong garden path! Sigh.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Susan - keep your little princess for a week and show her how the real world lives. My 46 year old baby brother is the custodial parent of his 7 year old daughter. She is a combination of Princess and Tom Boy. She has every princess costume available and changes several times a day. She loves to fish with her Dad and a favorite activity is "Critter Hunting". She has many jars and boxes with "critters". I have to say that my little brother is an awesome parent. He and Marie live with Mom but he does not allow Mom to care for Marie. She is his responsibility. He cooks her breakfast and fixes her lunch. Mom does cook dinner. Ron does all of his and Marie's laundry. Spends 2 hours every evening workin with her on her home work. Ron's ex has Marie 3 weekends out of the month. On his weekend he always plans something special for her. A camp out in the back yard, a trip to NOLA, they eat out at least once a week and that 7 year old will not eat off of childrens menu. She has an adult pallet for fine food.

I digress. I am just so proud of my brother. He is such an awesome father to his awesome daughter.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

E, thanks for suggestion, but a different ball game here. I know you have every reason to be proud of your brother and niece.
In thinking about it, LilDan didn't like all the dirt and stuff until we got more involved. We still have his flowers, a marigold pot we planted last July. It comes in when cold, then goes out for play times on warmer days. When he comes over I show him where it is.
Hey, next season we are talking Child Labor! I'll engage that kid in planting and watering (his fave!). Now if I can have him at my farmers market booth we'll have it made. (kidding of course!) In serious, if in a couple yrs he has some starts going can help sell them.

lorax
Greener Thumb

Let's start here: I was always a complete tomboy, and still am, and I wasn't happy as a kid unless I ended the day with dirt and possibly worse under my nails (and ground into my jeans, etc.) The only thing better than the garden was the '67 Mercury Meteor my stepdad and I were fixing.

However, what I'll say is this: my parents are both very active gardeners, always have been, and they included me from a very early age (basically, as soon as we could talk to each other) in garden related activities. Maybe the best approach for your granddaughter is to get her involved in the "prettier" aspects of the garden - the flowers, fruits, etc, before peeling back the compost and showing her what makes it all tick. That way she's got an appreciation of what the garden can produce, and is less likely to go "ick" at the processes that are necessary to make the things she likes. Just a suggestion....

Susan W
Greener Thumb

In all fairness, I thought Princess and her folks staying a day or so longer. I had hoped to do marigold seeds in the peat pellet tray that she could carry home,. Then once going, could be pot or in ground planted, whichever the nanny more comfortable with.

I was seeing in the gift exchange etc what I do need is a Barbie (for sizing) She got one (need to check), and loves the clothes changing. OK, I can make a cape similar to one I made for her, a night dress and other stuff. I did get my start sewing making doll clothes as my Mom made our clothes. She was also gardener beyond belief. Big veg garden, organic, and casual perennial beds she made look so easy. So, off to the thrift stores for a used Barbie.

FWIW, I only see Princess every yr or two, so don't have much time to show her 'other' ways. I do have the g-son here I can work on!

Thanks for listening.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”