ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

green zebra tomatoes

Not asking for a swap just a resourse referral - need a recomindation for a reliable seed source. Looking for green zebra tomato seeds. I have been a spoiled gardener planting transplants instead of starting my own. You have all inspired me to plant from seed. Living in south Louisiana I need to plant my seeds the end of January early February to be ready for March planting. Tomatoes - late March early April transplant planting for an early crop.

So the question is what is a reliable seed source?

What is your experience with on line resources? Need recommendations not just for tomatoes but a good general seed source.

Many thanks.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I have the seeds. If you send me a SASE I can send you some.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Here is a link to a dozen green heirlooms! Bakers++++

https://rareseeds.com/vegetables-p-z/tomatoes/green.html

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Punk - I am so embarrased :oops: what is SASE? :oops:

Bob- I take it that you trust this site for quality seed.

Thanks bunches.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Ya they are very good. I also like Pine Tree and Shrumway catalog!

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

SASE= Self addressed and stamped envelope.

I have bought seeds from tradewindfruits, burpee, hirt's garden, baker's creek etc. They all got a pretty good reputation.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

ElizabethB,

R.H. Shumway (Not Shrumway) is owned by Monsanto. If it matters to you ElizabethB.

I would recommend ,

Territorial Seed Co.
Safe Seed Pledge
Agriculture and seeds provide the basis upon which our lives depend. We must protect this foundation as a safe and genetically stable source for future generations. For the benefit of all farmers, gardeners and consumers who want an alternative, we pledge that we do not knowingly buy or sell genetically engineered seeds or plants. The mechanical transfer of genetic material outside of natural reproductive methods and between genera, families or kingdoms, poses great biological risks as well as economic, political, and cultural threats. We feel that genetically engineered varieties have been insufficiently tested prior to public release. More research and testing is necessary to further assess the potential risks of genetically engineered seeds. Further, we wish to support agricultural progress that leads to healthier soils, genetically diverse agricultural ecosystems and ultimately people and communities. Territorial only offers untreated seed.

Johnny's Selected seeds
Safe Seed Pledge

Johnny's Selected Seeds was one of the original signers of the Safe Seed Pledge in 1999. We present the Safe Seed Pledge, as follows:

"Agriculture and seeds provide the basis upon which our lives depend. We must protect this foundation as a safe and genetically stable source for future generations. For the benefit of all farmers, gardeners, and consumers who want an alternative, we pledge that we do not knowingly buy or sell genetically-engineered seeds or plants. The mechanical transfer of genetic material outside of natural reproductive methods and between genera, families, or kingdoms, poses great biological risks as well as economic, political, and cultural threats. We feel that genetically engineered varieties have been insufficiently tested prior to public release. More research and testing are necessary to further assess the potential risks of genetically-engineered seeds. Further, we wish to support agricultural progress that leads to healthier soils, genetically diverse agricultural ecosystems and, ultimately, people and communities."

Johnny's invites organizations, governments, businesses, and individuals to join us in our support of the Safe Seed Initiative.

For more information you may contact The Council for Responsible Genetics, the sponsor of the Safe Seed Initiative.

Fedco,
Also a company "Safe Seed Pledge"

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Thanks all. I really like the idea of non altered seed and will check out the sources recommemded.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I just got off the phone with Johnny's Seeds. Very helpful. I want to make sure that what I plant is suitable for zone 9b. I also prefer indeterminate tomatoes to grow vertically. The lady was very pleasant gave me a list of varieties to try. I am putting together my order. Thank you all.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

If you are still looking for another place ParkSeed is wonderful. My great aunt has been ordering from them for decades and also loves them.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Incidentally, just so you know. I have no idea if it will happen again (maybe we should ask webmaster :) ) but the last two springs, THG had a giveaway of heirloom tomato seeds. For any regular member, if you just PM'd your address, Roger would send little packets with like five seeds each of several different heirloom varieties.

The first year he did that, he didn't offer them until I'm thinking around April. I already had well grown transplants about ready to go in the ground, so I said no thank you, too late for me to start planting tomato seeds. So last year he got them out earlier in the season. I didn't have a real good germination rate with them (some varieties zero) and I use heat mats and am very experienced starting tomatoes from seed. But I did get some really nice plants and once started they did very well.

applestar
Mod

Seeds give away is being planned :wink:

I read that for questionable germination seeds (old, mishandled, inadequately stored) soaking tomato seeds in warm regular black tea overnight before sowing helps with germination. I'm going to experiment with that this year. 8)

Other methods are soaking in TSP (that is true TSP as opposed to "fake"? -- I don't know) or bleach solution for less than 30 min -- a little vague on the details -- a member posted step by step in a thread and another member tried and posted beautiful photos of tomato embryos in seed casings with details of how he did it. Rinse well then sow.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Cool, I'm pleased to hear that THG will do the seed giveaway again.

Thanks for the tip, applestar. I will definitely try the tea soak this time!

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Thanks one and all. I contacted Johhny's Seeds yeaterday am for info on varieties suitable for zone 9b - meaty, indeterminate, early season, mid season and heat tolerant for late summer planting. Any way I posted a request for advice on the tomatoe gardening forum so if any of you want to jump in and give me your 2 cents it would be appreciated. Varieties I am not familiar with.

Thanks all and Merry Christmas

Return to “Seed Exchange - Share & Trade Seeds”