webmaster
Site Admin

Anyone go see the Hobbit Movie?

I wanted to go but was too busy with work and Christmas preparations. The reviews are mixed but generally on the positive side, although with reservations.

Anyone see it? What'd you think?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Six of use saw it last night. Unfortunately our theater doesn't have 3D. So some of the scenes didn't pop. The Rock Giants would have been spectacular.

I thought it was fun. It was a quick 2:46. :)

Eric
Last edited by DoubleDogFarm on Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

No and I doubt I will. I'm one of the unfortunates who get seasick watching 3D. I've been on a destroyer in the North Atlantic in 70 foot seas, spent at least 7 years of nights on ships and boats and never once got seasick.

We watched the Jim Carey Christmas Carol and I got halfway through it and put the TV back on 2D. I didn't feel right for another 24 hours. It was awful.

I had watched short busts of 3D on the Direct TV 3D channels and it was pretty cool. I got to the ghost of Christmas present and all I wanted to do was not hurl. I'm not sure I will be able to look at Jim Carey again.

webmaster
Site Admin

The film is shown in regular old 2D with the standard 24 FPS (frames per second) version. So you can still go to the movies and enjoy it. I intend on watching it in 2D. It's the way I usually opt to see movies.

applestar
Mod

We went to see it in high frame rate 3-D which was less crowded than the IMAX 3-D. But regardless --

I can't wait to see the next 2/3 of the movie!! :D
...that said...

There was a good deal of video battle game element to it with much more violent close combat scenes than there were in the original story -- some scenes were created for the movie and diverged from the original story. Some sword fights and overwhelming battles became quite intense and brutal, even if they didn't show a whole lot of blood. Some scenes were scary.

Bilbo-Sméagol/Gollum scenes were excellent. Noticed they cut short the riddle scene -- not all the riddles -- but BIL who hasn't read the book felt even that was drawn out so can't blame the movie makers, I guess.

Several scenes that to me seemed forced to deliberately recall/relate back to the Lord of the Rings movies. Some created scenes that were not in the original Hobbit storyline but I believe may have come from the LOTR.... Lady Galadriel in the Hobbit? But she looked glorious and amazing.

Landscape during their journey was also spectacular and there were many super effects that made me miss the IMAX screen.

Definitely getting some or all of the music. Loved the dwarves singing by Bilbo's fireplace. Was disappointed that they did NOT put all of the songs in the movie.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:We went to see it in high frame rate 3-D which was less crowded than the IMAX 3-D. But regardless --

I can't wait to see the next 2/3 of the movie!! :D
...that said...

There was a good deal of video battle game element to it with much more violent close combat scenes than there were in the original story -- some scenes were created for the movie and diverged from the original story. Some sword fights and overwhelming battles became quite intense and brutal, even if they didn't show a whole lot of blood. Some scenes were scary.

Bilbo-Sméagol/Gollum scenes were excellent. Noticed they cut short the riddle scene -- not all the riddles -- but BIL who hasn't read the book felt even that was drawn out so can't blame the movie makers, I guess.

Several scenes that to me seemed forced to deliberately recall/relate back to the Lord of the Rings movies. Some created scenes that were not in the original Hobbit storyline but I believe may have come from the LOTR.... Lady Galadriel in the Hobbit? But she looked glorious and amazing.

Landscape during their journey was also spectacular and there were many super effects that made me miss the IMAX screen.

Definitely getting some or all of the music. Loved the dwarves singing by Bilbo's fireplace. Was disappointed that they did NOT put all of the songs in the movie.
That settles it. There isn't a force on earth that could cause me to endure that.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Charlie MV.......I read in the papers here that the movie has made a lot of

people sick from watching it, something to do with how they filmed it???

Doesn't sound like anyone else was bothered by it on here. :?:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I guess that would be the high-def effect of 48 frames per sec instead of the usual 24, added on to 3-D.

Haven't seen it yet, but did see some bad reviews, saying way too long and draggy. Hearing that it is also very violent discourages me from wanting to go.

We did just go see Lincoln, which is an amazing movie! I hope it cleans up a lot of this year's Oscars, it deserves to.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I love the Lord of the Rings books, movies so I could not care less what some stuffed shirt critic has to say, I will be going.

applestar
Mod

My daughter who gets carsick during 30 min rides did not feel any nauseous effects. She did say she closed her eyes with some of the scenes (violent or scary/ominous which is what we've taught our kids to do to self determine what to watch or not watch. They know to listen for the BG music which usually foreshadows these scenes.) and it turned out that she'd missed the comic relief that came after with a few scenes. My younger daughter made a point to tell me she DID NOT have bad dreams that night.

So I'd say it was somewhat darker than the "children's story" tone of the original Hobbit, but avoided immersing completely into the violent realm. There is a distinct air about underlying theme of "what is heroism?" and "size and power vs. courage".

I would go see it on the huge theater screens for the amazing New Zealand scenery alone, but I love Hobbit/LOTR also, having first read those books in high school so I would not have missed seeing this movie in the theaters.

Despite my complaints, they are doing justice to the books, incorporating back stories that were not in the original book but was developed by Tolkien extensively elsewhere, and bringing the stories alive in unexpected ways. I like what they did with Thorin.

webmaster
Site Admin

Yes, there is a lot of backstory going on that didn't make it into the original Hobbit story. For example, when Gandalf has to disappear for a substantial part of the journey, he's actually off in meetings with other wizards investigating reports of a malevalent spirit or darkness that might be the return of Sauron.

The original story was quite light but there was a bit of violence as well, starting with the nasty bit with the trolls, then the Goblin King and then the Wargs. But the overall atmosphere was of increasing darkness. You can feel the dial getting turned up on the darkness until it reaches it's zenith in Mirkwood. The dwarves start out with their ponies laden with supplies and high spirits. But very quickly their spirits are tested. Even their surroundings become darker and darker, with stifling rain and trees and then caves. Then there's the bit with Gollum who is described as living in total darkness deep in the root of a mountain, surviving on fish and the odd goblin here and there. A most wretched, bleak and dark place.

prettygurl

I am looking forward to the movie but will be renting it.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I will also buy the 3d blu-ray when it comes out.

applestar
Mod

... I want to go see it again ... :wink:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

tomf wrote:I will also buy the 3d blu-ray when it comes out.
do you have a 3D player at home? I didn't even know they were available for the home market yet.

applestar
Mod

Don't watch this if you don't want any spoilers at all, but it looks like they did take care to keep from showing most things and even blurred out sketches and storyboards. Great documentation of locations and behind the scenes though. I never watched them when they were webcast because I like to wait until I've seen the movie. :D

The Hobbit - Full Production Video Blogs 1-6
:arrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfX1PYv1 ... ata_player

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Wow - after reading all of your post I think I will pass on the movie. I am subject to vertigo so I don't think this is for me. I love the books and read the entire series - Hobbit and Lord of the Rings ever 2 or 3 years. I am kind of iffy on the movies. Pretty good but my imagination is much better. RARELY do I find movies that do justice to the book. My 2 cents. No movie critic am I.

applestar
Mod

I used to think that too, but movie technologies are getting better, especially big leaps forward since Matrix and since Avatar.

I find that if I watch the movie before reading the book, the "after images" interfere with my own imagination, but well read novels with established imaginative universe already in place can be enhanced by select imagery from the "mind meld"/"brain trust" of the creative energies that went into making the movies.

Where the movies fail, it's a relief to read the novels again and reestablish the *superior* imagery. :lol:

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Yeah Apple - animation has gotten to the point of reality. I LOVE animated movies. I still won't see this one because I really don't want to barf in the movie house. Vertigo S***s.

G laughs at me because I love so called Kid's animation.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

I enjoyed a few minutes of motocross in 3D when we first got this TV. Apparently everything is available in the format. I do wish it didn't make me sick.

Avatar was almost too intense in 2D. The Hobbit style movies with the funky weird creatures just don't do it for me. I don't much care for the video game type special effects of shoot 'em up movies although I do like movies like Die Hard.

I'm frankly scared to try 3D again because the sickness went on for a few hours. It's a shame because I do like movies.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I have 3d at home and it does not bother me at all, it just makes things look more real.
I am studying making movie effects. . I have a green screen in my studio so I can key out actors. I use 3d animation and video and composite them in a program called Adobe After Effects. After Effects is the most used movie effects compositing program. The amount complexity and work it takes to make what we take for granted is beyond the understanding of most people, I have a good deal of respect for the people who make movies. Acting in a movie to a green screen is very technical and difficult and takes a very talented actor.

applestar
Mod

Yeah. I love that they document how these movies are made and include as bonus to the dvd's/blurays. Especially with these heavily CG'd (is that the right term?) effect scenes. Astonishing to see what the actors are seeing -- wearing -- environment they are actually in.

You can see how Andy Serkis is dressed while performing Gollum/Sméagol in that youtube blog I linked. I noticed the progression in techniques used in the original LOTR -- 12 yrs ago? -- which they improved on in making Avatar, which was then adopted for this movie (apparently -- assumption I made from similarity in costume for capturing all physical movements and facial expressions).

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Suspending disbelief is what make a movie enjoyable for me. I don't want to know how they did it. I love the idea of writing. It's interesting how many avenues of creation there are and which one[s] people are drawn to.

TomF, is there a way I can acclimate my self to watching 3D? I held the heads of many a miserable sailor puking over the side of the ship while trying to get them to focus on the horizon. That's the trick to seasickness if one has to deal with it. I never did at sea. But what can be done to fix 3D sickness?

applestar
Mod

:D I had a crazy thought!!!

Maybe unlike those of us who get seasick BECAUSE the "ground" under us is moving around, YOU, Charlie The Sailor-man, might be getting sick because the couch is NOT MOVING AROUND the way your inner ears are saying they *should* be moving.

If my theory is correct, you need one of those chairs that move around synchronized to the movements on the screen. :>

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

According to the article I read in the business section of the newspaper, only 10% of movie screens are equipped to run the 48 frames/second version of the Hobbit movie. Call the movie house and *ask them* which version they're showing--the traditional 24 fps, the 48 fps, or the "3D" version.

If it's the 24 fps, it's just like all the other movies you've ever watched.

re. sea-sickness: I've only been out on a boat a few times, and never on a ship. I feel absolutely dreadful until...
[graphic language follows, so I'm allowing space for those of you who don't want to read it]...

graphic language begins here
I throw up once. That's all it takes: evidently my inner sense of balance needs to "make a statement" about the transition from land to water, but once that "statement" is made, everything is better. Whale-watching several years ago was pretty intense: I stood on the bow in 4-foot swells (they were beautiful) hoping to catch sight of gray whales during their January migration. In addition to the usual long pants, shoes with traction, long-sleeved shirt, hat, etc., we all had on life jackets (responsible whale-watching organization) and many of us were sporting binoculars on some kind of over-the-neck arrangements.

Meanwhile, DH was sitting on the benches behind the cabin, looking miserable. I had only one dose of anti-nausea meds; he had forgotten his. I gave him mine, knowing that my body would inevitably make its "statement." (I get about 10 seconds' warning--gotta MOVE to a suitable location FAST.) Sure enough: I made it to the leeward side amidships *just* in time. The rest of the whale-watching ride was quite enjoyable for both of us, and we even saw a pod of whales! in the distance. (There are distance regulations for powered boats so as not to disturb the whales.)

no more graphic language :)

Those of you who skipped over the graphic language are safe now. :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote::D I had a crazy thought!!!

Maybe unlike those of us who get seasick BECAUSE the "ground" under us is moving around, YOU, Charlie The Sailor-man, might be getting sick because the couch is NOT MOVING AROUND the way your inner ears are saying they *should* be moving.

If my theory is correct, you need one of those chairs that move around synchronized to the movements on the screen. :>
I think these kind of comments are why I like you so much.

To this day the mental image of Jim Carey's ugly cartoon face with the hook nose reaching almost to the pointy chin makes me queasy. So do those gnarly little hobbit feet.

cynthia_h, I guess I shouldn't have mentioned holding a puker's head without a disclaimer and warning ?

I'll never learn.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Her is a CG woman dancing I made in a 3D program, it is an animation render test so there is no music to it.

https://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/t ... ddress.mp4

Cynthia some people would call what you did a Technicolor yawn.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

tomf wrote:
Cynthia some people would call what you did a Technicolor yawn.
:lol: Maybe, but I like to know when that kind of thing is coming. I'm not always prepared to read it (like when I'm eating...)!

Cynthia

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

:shock:

Cynthia, that comment instantly brought to mind at least 5 one liners.

I won't post any of them in case you are eating.

Actually 6.

applestar
Mod

...couldn't see it Tomf -- probably because I'm accessing from the iPad.

-- soooo... We couldn't help ourselves -- we went to see The Hobbit again. :() :wink:

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Charlie - fellow Sailor here - 6 years active 16 years reserve. Many great experiences, many great friends and many great memories. Love my Navy :!:

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Elizabeth, what ships? I was a destroyer man. Son of a son of a sailor here.

applestar
Mod

applestar wrote:...couldn't see it Tomf -- probably because I'm accessing from the iPad.

-- soooo... We couldn't help ourselves -- we went to see The Hobbit again. :() :wink:
Second time around, I was able to enjoy the surrounding scenery and peripheral details in the scenes more, look beyond the center-camera characters, appreciate the sense of 3-D depths, etc.

I particularly enjoyed looking around Rivendell, which I couldn't do before as much, as well as more appreciate the deeper meanings in the actor's facial expressions, details in the CG, etc.

Found this: 50,000+ pc. Original creation LEGO Rivendell

webmaster
Site Admin

I saw it, non-3d, in the regular 24FPS version. Thought it was good. Tolkien did a lot of backstory additions to The Hobbit, to make it fit into the middle earth universe he created, including the Lord of the Rings books. This is the "version" that the director is presenting. So while it's not a movie based strictly on The Hobbit, it is a movie based on Tolkien's vision of The Hobbit as it fits into the overall story. For me, the movie did not lag and it went by quickly. It was very enjoyable. I may see it again.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I saw it. Visually amazing. I think the 3D was very well done. The high def 48 frames thing seemed like it made it more like watching your high def TV, kind of hyper-realistic in a way that keeps calling attention to itself.

But as an actual movie, it seemed not to have much in the way of plot or character development, all just fight or flight. Fight the goblins, fight, fight, fight, whew we made it, oh oops, here come the orcs.

Not a human rhythm, never any let down, take a breath, re-group time. You never see them just hiking along on their journey. Except when they eat BB out of house and home at the beginning and when they make it to Rivendell, you hardly ever see them eat. Don't I remember that hobbits are used to eating 8 times a day?

webmaster
Site Admin

They were eating just before the troll encounter, remember when Bilbo was bringing the plates to the dwarves? The book spends a fair amount of time on introducing what a hobbit is and their habits. Quite different than most modern tales that take you straight into the action then fill in the backstory. My first attempt to read the book ended with a yawn on the fist chapter.

As for the pacing, it did slow down for the Radagast and Rivendell scenes and of course the Gollum scene. I don't know, I think the pacing worked for me.

The Hobbit story is about character development, the ability to change (which includes the stubborness to resist it), as well as change that is thrust upon you against your will. It's also about the ability to resist temptation and lust. Resisting lust is a big part of the story.

For the first installment, it seems the director focused on Bilbo and Thorin (pretty much like the book), focusing on Bilbo's integration into the company, graduating from reluctant (and untested and untrusted) participant into a trusted member of the company. Is that a limitation? Probably but I think it works in the context of this being a three part movie. Thorin is stubborn and bitter. He's distrustful of Bilbo. Bilbo himself is ambivalent and distrusts himself, too. Remember, there are a couple scenes where he wavers on quitting the company. So the character development, as Rainbow noted, is limited. But I think that's ok because it's a three part movie and the tale is just getting started.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”