kimlo
Newly Registered

transplanting hydrangea

We moved about a year and a half ago into a house surrounded by many beautiful plants. I have seven hydrangea on the east side of my house that receive very filtered morning sun. They happen to be in a place that is rarely seen and I was wondering a) is it possible to transplant them, b) when I should transplant, if possible, and b) do they prefer shade?

Also, a couple of them, with varigated leaves, were broken quite a bit by the roofers. Should I just cut those branches off? Will that hinder size for next season?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help!!!

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi kimlo :D

a) Yes.

b) In the Autumn when dormant.

c) Yes, semi-shade or at least shaded from the hottest part of the day.

It would be best to cut off broken branches. Leaving them on will only encourage disease.

Grey
Greener Thumb

Agree with Jess 100%

sungirl

With broken branches instead of chopping for the compost you may want to try and grow them by recutting the branch and sticking it in the ground. I planted a whole row under a cedar - the soil was quite acidic - and most of them took and if they had a bud they bloomed, others bloomed later that season and are still growing strong! I have planted others in different areas not so acidic and they also rooted. Hope this helps! :)

JPlovesflowers

I agree with everyone. Once you move them, they are incredible easy to root by burying a low lying brance partly in the mulch or loose soil, you may need to weight it down with a rock and in a few weeks it will root on its own and you will have a new plant to share or increase your bounty! Enjoy :D

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”