Tonio
Green Thumb

1st time Broccoli .. yummy!!

This is my 1st time growing broccoli, and I've gotta say I'm hooked !!!

6 "premium crop" transplanted about 80 days ago and harvested 3 last weekend. The latter 3 should be ready like tomorrow, hopefully I can hold off till this weekend. Actually 2 of the remaining brocs had split into 2 or 3 stems, so will see they go- definitely have 1 big head almost ready.

I have 3 more Seds of Change " verde" broccoli ready to transplant, so guess I won't be purchasing any broccoli for a while :D

I'll transfer some pics and load em up !!

T

Tonio
Green Thumb

wow, photobucket is freaking out now :lol:

I'll try later.

T

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Isn't fresh--really fresh--broccoli yummy? We've put in a few plants for this winter, and I keep looking at them, thinking--When will you be ready, huh?

Soooo good. And after the main head, the little side heads, and after them, the leaves, just like chard or kale. :D

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yes, fresh broccoli is so good. I just grow it in the spring. I plant seed directly where it will grow.

Enjoy

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, photobucket is apparently testing a new version, but I can't get in to it either. I hope they get it together soon. I've got a lot of photos there, that I don't have anywhere else.

Re the broccoli. Most of my other home-grown veggies I love. It has taken me awhile to get to like my broccoli. It is a little coarser and stronger flavored than store bought. Stronger flavored tomatoes and celery, etc is a good thing, not so sure about broccoli... :? I grow it anyway and am getting used to it.

Tonio
Green Thumb

Cynthia- yummy indeed. I'm sure you've been getting some rain recently? should help em a bunch. We've hardly gotten much :(

James- I wanted to be sure the seedlings were ready, and not get munched via direct sowing.

RG- yeah, apparently their running a beta, and gets looped to a blank screen.

soil
Greener Thumb

Fresh broccoli is great, we grew 250 broccoli plants this year, my freezer is full of florets.

Don't forget after you cut the big head more small ones come up. And the greens are delicious.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, photobucket is apparently testing a new version, but I can't get in to it either. I hope they get it together soon. I've got a lot of photos there, that I don't have anywhere else.
What troubles. Are you using the old version or new. I converted about a month ago. No problem.

Eric

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:
What troubles. Are you using the old version or new. I converted about a month ago. No problem.

Eric
I'm not using any version. When I type in photobucket.com, it does just what Tonio said:

RG- yeah, apparently they're running a beta, and gets looped to a blank screen.

the URL changes itself to betaphotobucket.com, the site comes up for half a second and then goes to blank screen and stays that way. I can't find a way to keep it from going to the beta, so that I could use the old version.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

You can try tinypic.com to upload pics. Doesn't require a registration either.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I love fresh out the garden broccoli. I have 8 plants in the ground and have already harvested the main heads and have been collecting side shoots for a few weeks now. I used some in a vegetable tray along with some home grown cucumbers and other veggies from the market for T-Day guests to snack on.

I gave some to my neighbor a few days ago and she said it was much more flavorful than the store bought stuff she usually gets. I may have a couple more weeks of side shoots before it gives out for the season.

Tonio
Green Thumb

RG, I use a MAC at home, and get the dreaded loop. I used a PC at work and changed my profile to use the old format and they asked why ? How odd is that, unless they fixed it? Since I got the pics posted I'll go back and see if the new format is fixed.

click to enlarge

Tonio
Green Thumb

Yup , its still hosed.
-wall-

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Tonio

https://s58.beta.photobucket.com/user/ttonio/library/

Rainbow doesn't seem to be around. Could click on the link above for a test.

Eric

Tonio
Green Thumb

DDF,
its cool mate, I got the pics up, thanks :mrgreen:

They're on another build I guess.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

I just peeked under the row cover this morning, and my heads are presently the size of a lemon. Looks like I'll eating some soon!

First time broccoli grower!

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Tonio - when you harvest the heads leave the plants. You should get side shoots of flourettes that you can harvest later. No heads just flourettes. More bang for your $.

Tonio
Green Thumb

Elizabeth- thanks for the reminder, yes there are already some side shoots about as big as my thumb.
More yummies :()

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:Rainbow

https://s602.beta.photobucket.com/user/r ... r/library/

Give it a try
Eric
When I try to go to photobucket, it is still going to blank screen. When I click on your link, my photos come up for two seconds, just long enough to tantalize me that it is going to work and then it reverts to blank screen. Since all I have is the blank screen, I don't have any way to contact them to let them know the problem. I hope they are aware that their beta version isn't working for some people. I want my photos back!!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

First Broccoli, then photo galleries --

First time with Premium Crop? Now, you gotta change to a different variety. Two different catalogs tell me that the wholesaler will no longer offer it. Harris Seed still has it "while supplies last" if you want to have that variety one more year. Don't fret about it. The hybrids will come and go thru your gardening career. I started with Green Comet then . . . it shot outta sight! Stopped using Premium Crop just a few years ago, whew - just in time. Packman has been standard but I've got some "depth to the bench."

If you like broccoli - think about growing broccoli raab. If you have any trouble with it, want to go a little further, or take a different direction - try guy lon. There are various spellings for that Asian veggie. Some folks use "kailaan" but if you just try to pronounce the word you will learn that it is the same vegetable that they are talking about.

Yep, I use Photobucket and they really threw me a curve a week ago, or so! None of my old links to the service work so I just use "photobucket.com" and altho' it converts automatically to "beta.photobucket.com" I still get there easily enuf. For a few days, it didn't recognize me but now I no longer need to sign in and I am learning to like the format.

Picasa became so awkward to get to I actually joined Google+! Now, the Google+ page doesn't have an easy way for me to get to the Picasa gallery :? . It may be because I have "private" Picasa albums but it hasn't been giving me any trouble for awhile. I like the quality of the images . . .

Yes, TinyPic.com is a Photobucket service. It seems real simple but I can get caught in Captcha Hell by not being able to read the text!

ImagedigitS'

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:
DoubleDogFarm wrote:Rainbow

https://s602.beta.photobucket.com/user/r ... r/library/

Give it a try
Eric
When I try to go to photobucket, it is still going to blank screen. When I click on your link, my photos come up for two seconds, just long enough to tantalize me that it is going to work and then it reverts to blank screen. Since all I have is the blank screen, I don't have any way to contact them to let them know the problem. I hope they are aware that their beta version isn't working for some people. I want my photos back!!
https://support.photobucket.com/home

Rainbow, Maybe trying a single photo link will get you in. :idea:
https://s602.beta.photobucket.com/user/r ... sort=2&o=0

Eric

Tonio
Green Thumb

digitS' wrote:First Broccoli, then photo galleries --

First time with Premium Crop? Now, you gotta change to a different variety. Two different catalogs tell me that the wholesaler will no longer offer it. Harris Seed still has it "while supplies last" if you want to have that variety one more year. Don't fret about it. The hybrids will come and go thru your gardening career. I started with Green Comet then . . . it shot outta sight! Stopped using Premium Crop just a few years ago, whew - just in time. Packman has been standard but I've got some "depth to the bench."

If you like broccoli - think about growing broccoli raab. If you have any trouble with it, want to go a little further, or take a different direction - try guy lon. There are various spellings for that Asian veggie. Some folks use "kailaan" but if you just try to pronounce the word you will learn that it is the same vegetable that they are talking about.

ImagedigitS'
Thanks Steve, I do have some "verde" starts from Seeds of Change-but I can't find any info on it. And I do like raab. So, yeah, I definately will start looking at others for spring or next year- I hear good things about packman.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

TheWaterbug wrote:I just peeked under the row cover this morning, and my heads are presently the size of a lemon. Looks like I'll eating some soon!

First time broccoli grower!
Well, they're growing slower than I'd thought they would. They're about 4" across now:

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

You may want to go ahead and harvest that head now, Waterbug. Usually, we are wanting those before there is the slightest sign of the yellowing that begins to show up just before the yellow flowers.

It looks like the plants may be of a somewhat dwarf type. You may be disappointed if you wait until they have a colossal head to them. The plants will likely continue to grow and produce MORE buds later. I really believe that I get more weight from broccoli plants with the 2nd cutting than the first.

Steve

Tonio
Green Thumb

+1 once the head starts to seperate, you don't have much time before they flower. I made the mistake on one of my plants. Luckily it wasn't too far into flowering :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

For flavor we do prefer it before the buds open up, but it is all edible. If it totally goes to flower, the flowers are still edible. The leaves are edible...

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”