Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

DOO WOP ! What are your favorite songs!

WQED in Pittsburgh has been doing the old songs and performers for years! I remember seeing Gene Pitney here in Latrobe at the Dance Land! When he came the band did no show up so he played the piano and sang anyway that was over 50 years ago!. What a voice he has! I love to sing the oldies like the song on now Love Potion number nine! my one friend sang with the Vogues in the Pittsburgh area! I seen them several times at Seven Springs skee resort about 40 miles from me! What is your favorite song of the past??? In high school in 1962 my favorite was Paul Anka!

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

"Unchained Melody" Righteous Brothers. Saw them in 67 Iwas 14 and fell "In Love". Got to meet them, had my picture taken with them, got their autographs and best of all :oops: got a kiss on the cheek from them both.

Sigh :!:

You bring up so many memories.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I use to watch the variety show that featured Sha-Na-Na many years ago and the group did mostly Do-Wop songs. One of my favorites was "Get A Job"

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

That would be a good tune for more people learn and pratice!

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

https://www.youtube.com./watch?v=1SCOimBo5tg
I am real fond of this verson of an old one.

LA47
Green Thumb

Most pre 1970's. How about Purple People Eater? Almost any of Marty Robbins songs. If I can understand the words I generally like the newer songs.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I was in the Navy Reserves (avtive duty as well). I drilled in Orange Texas. My parent command was in San Diego. So every 3 years I had to do my 2 weeks summer training in SD. I was usually able to schedule traing with my 3 best friends from my unit. We had a car allowance which ment the smallest cheapest rental available. We would pitch in and upgarde to a convertable - no extra cost to Uncle Sam - no policy violation. We picked up the tab. On our of hours we would tool around southern California - top down on the car - Beach Music playing. Bare feet on the dash - hair blowing in the wind. We found a club that had a retro band. Lots of beach music and even a Beatle impersonation set.

I went to 12 years of Catholic school (grateful for the premium education compared to public school at the time). I well remember when the Beatles first appeared on Ed Sullivan. The dear Nuns had a fit. We were all doomed for listening to such music! Same thing happened years before when Elvis made his hip shaking appearance on Ed's show. "Really Big Shoe" for those of you old enough to remember. Remember American Band Stand? Who taught you how to do the twist?

Music is iconic. It defines generations. The Beatles were one of the few talents that trancended generations. Their music never got stale. They were true artist and continued to change and grow with the times. Old Paul is still out there doing his thing. What a heart throb as a young man :!: Still not bad as an old man.

Elivis, Marvin Gaye, Aretha, Tina Turna, even Cher. James Brown. Coltrane, Louis Armstrong, Harry Connick JR. The list of icons goes on and on. Love them all. Throw some C&W in the mix. Then some classic symphonies just for fun. A little gospel finds it's way in. Ow well - music has as many opinions as religion and politics.

When I do house work I have music blasting - a true mix from classic symphonies to C&W and every thing in between.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

LA47 wrote:Most pre 1970's. How about Purple People Eater? Almost any of Marty Robbins songs. If I can understand the words I generally like the newer songs.
You mean the "One eyed, one horned, flying Purple People Eater"??

I love Marty Robbins but his style was certainly not Do Wop. It was country and western. My favorite Robbins song is "El Paso". That is a fine ballad.

When I think Do Wop, I think 50's and early 60's stuff before the likes of the Beatles, Rolling Stones, etc. came into their own and changed the rock and roll scene.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Bobberman wrote:That would be a good tune for more people learn and pratice!

Yeah, well most young people I know want to start out near the top. They don't seem to think starting out at the bottom and working their way up is fast enough. Too much instant gratification in their young lives I guess.

webmaster
Site Admin

I love Doo-wop. My eight year old daughter is a fan of Dion, she loves Dion and the Belmonts. I really love the de-de-de-re-re's in this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAPEfdjvTqE

lorax
Greener Thumb

For me it's Little Anthony and the Imperials, Dion and the Belmonts, Frankie Lyman and the Teenagers, Flash Cadillac and the Continental Kids, The Edsels, The Silhouettes (who were the original group to do "Get a Job") and some of the earlier work of Smokey Robinson (with or without the Miracles), the Temptations, and many of the other Motown acts of that era.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I like oldies: Lou Christy, Beatles, Elvis, Beach Boys, Righteous Brothers, Motown, that era.
I also like country: Johnny Cash, Marty Robbins, Oakridge Boys, Carrie Underwood, Loretta Lynn, Johnny Rivers, Eddy Rabbit.
And I like Christian music: I like songs better than individual artists:
But I like contemporary Christian and some oldies.

My favorite enduring performer, and I don't know what group to put him into is Ray Stevens especially:
RAY STEVENS.... MISSISSIPPI SQUIRREL!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K16fG1sDagU

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”