Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Will the world end or change dec.21-2012

Acordint to many people the planets will line up and a planet x will enter into our solar system causing damage to all the planets. Jupitor will become a sun because of a solar flare! Can anyone add to this? under ground cities have been built already even here in the USA! After reading this post about planet x I am wondering about this could it be true. Check this out even Nasa is involved!

https://amightywind.com/planetx/planetx.htm

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

There was a movie called A Mighty Wind. I enjoyed it thoroughly. I'm pretty convinced that the earth moved into an alternate universe as a result. Watch it and judge for yourself.

If this planet x does do what these people claim it will, maybe Washington will shut up about the fiscal cliff once and for all.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Washington has dug a hole so deep they will be living under ground weeks before the disaster!

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

If the world does end I'd rather die during the catastrophe. Who want to survive to live in a world that is essentially uninhabitable? Whether it is true or not I am not worried about it nothing I can really do to stop it. BTW that site looks too much like a conspiracy site. I can't take it serious at all.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Will the people with money be more worried that the poor? What would you do if it became known for sure?

Burz

Could change for the better :shock:

Could be like Y2K hysteria :roll:

Its been a great year for wild you tube videos at least. I've watched plenty of 2012 doomsday/apocalypse/altered consciousness/Annunaki/Nibiru/planet x videos and they are far more entertaining than tv sitcoms :lol: :? cant wait for 2013 Baseball to start and forget about it. Go Tigers

And nice pic charlie mv. Just emailed it around to a few friends . Should conjure a few more chuckles.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Last edited by DoubleDogFarm on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Back to Bob's original question the answer is no. You really have to be careful about what you read on the internet. Doom sayers have been predicting the end of the world for centuries - long before the internet. The most recent really big lie was in about the turn of the millenim in 2000. The world was going to fall apart, technology was going to crash, Utility systems were going to fail.

Truth - life went on.

The world will not end this year.

Take it easy and have a blessed Christmas.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Burz wrote: cant wait for 2013 Baseball to start and forget about it. Go Tigers

And nice pic charlie mv. Just emailed it around to a few friends . Should conjure a few more chuckles.
Agreed, charlie! I like the picture!

And, Burz...? Would it be too much for me to say that I'd like 2012 HOCKEY to get started? :(

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

webmaster
Site Admin

No change. Also, the last time the Mayan calendar ended the world didn't end, although the Spanish Conquistadors did a pretty thorough job over the ensuing centuries to wipe them out, as well as other indigenous people. AFAIK, this is something that is just supposed to affect the Mayans themselves and it was never meant to be a literal end of the world, just the end of a cycle, like a giant season coming to a close. Then a new one begins, just like spring follows summer.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Totally agree with all Elizabeth's comments, which were well stated.

There is a ton of garbage on the internet. A few tips for sorting out facts from hoaxes, rumors, and other trash:

Real stuff cites evidence, data, real science AND gives the references and links to the data so you can check it yourself. Vague mentions of "studies" with no references do NOT count.

Pseudo science and hoaxes etc are designed to play on the emotions, not the intellect, so lots of emotionally loaded terms are used and fear inducements, extreme statements, catastrophizing, and so on.

The style of the fake stuff is also designed to appeal to the emotions, so it tends to be written with big bold type, lots of color, lots of !!!! , busy colorful backgrounds, underlines, etc etc. People that are stating facts that they want you to think about don't need all that.

Real science comes from reputable sources often universities or government agencies. Look for .edu or .gov URL's.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I did check out Bobber's link which is a classic example of the style I was talking about. Just for fun I decided to fact check one piece, just to see how they were doing.

The article says:

"Planet X is already having a tremendous effect on the Sun. Astronomers and scientists began keeping a record of solar flares (explosions...Coronal Mass Ejections) on the Sun in the 1700's. Over a period of time it became obvious that solar flares reach a maximum every eleven years. Once the peak is reached, then solar flares decline for approximately five and a half years. The the next five and a half years they increase until they peak again in the eleventh year. This eleven year cycle has been going on ever since men of science began keeping records of their observations. But something has changed.

The last eleven year peak was reached in 2000. After 2000 scientists fully expected solar flares to decline, just as they always have done in the past. But they didn't! Instead, they have steadily increased in both frequency and intensity. The largest solar flares ever recorded have occurred since the eleven year peak in 2000. What is happening?"

This:

https://solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov/image ... dict_l.gif
(note the nasa.gov address)

is a graph of sunspot activity (solar flares arise out of sunspots and it is sunspots that are on the 11 year cycle). The curves are predicted activity with average and the +/- standard deviation curves. The jagged lines are actual observations. You can see that the actual observations are well within the predictions and that we are actually in a quieter cycle right now. Sunspot activity did decline after 2000 as predicted. It is now rising again as predicted but we are in a lower intensity cycle.

I expect every thing else in the article is just as non-factual.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote: The style of the fake stuff is also designed to appeal to the emotions, so it tends to be written with big bold type, lots of color, lots of !!!! , busy colorful backgrounds, underlines, etc etc. People that are stating facts that they want you to think about don't need all that.

Real science comes from reputable sources often universities or government agencies. Look for .edu or .gov URL's.

So true. My gullible sister-in-law is the human version of Chicken Little. Every time she gets an e-mail that fortells of eminent doom and gloom, she immediately forwards it to all on her mailing list with "PLEASE READ"---(her words, not mine) to get ones attention.

I was nice at first by telling her www.snopes.com was her friend for most matters of doom and gloom, but they kept coming anyway. I finally decided to add her to my spam list.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

absolutely - the world is going to change,

it'll be December 22, 2012 - what more change could one ask for?

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Rainbow - thanks for the graph. BIG spke in 2000. The world did not end or even skip beat.. Charlie love your version of the Mayan calendar. Got to get some milk to go with my Oreos.

Burz

And, Burz...? Would it be too much for me to say that I'd like 2012 HOCKEY to get started? :(

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9[/quote]

I wish it would :( Rough without the Red Wings, whom I'm sure you get to see play often in the western conference out there.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

The 2013 model cars are out. Relax.

lily51
Greener Thumb

There are some really crazy scenarios of what people think may happen. Our calendar ends every dec 31 and the world keeps on spinning.
My only concern is for people who have sold everything, quit jobs, have real anxiety over this. And how they are being exploited by others wanting to make $.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I vote for a new shuttle program! Outter space is very dangerous!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

:roll:

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Have an Oreo B-man.

LA47
Green Thumb

I don't worry about the our world ending. If it can't be stopped why worry about it. We can't do anything about it anyway. I do believe that hard times are coming and I will do what I can to prepare for providing my family with food and water. I do know that I could not turn starving people away from my door if I had any food to give. Mobs I would fight but could you turn away a hungry child?

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

LA47 - no I could not turn away a child or even an adult. An adult I would offer food in exchange for work. You would be surprized how many walk away. They really don't want food they want $. So sad.

My husband hunts and fishes. He has a friend who owns a hunting ranch in deep south Texas. We are talking high end. This place is a dream lodge. The owner leaves his doors unlocked. He places boxes of canned goods and water next to his door. He refills on a weekly basis. There are so many desperate folks coming across the border many near death from dehydration and starvation. The use his lodge to shower and sleep and eat and drink what he leaves for them. He has had nothing stolen or destroyed. This kind man has a big heart. I am so blessed not to have to experience that kind of desperation. Living in the US I doubt that I will never have to. as long as I am willing to get off of may a and earn my keep I will survive and so will out children and grandchildren.

Even in winter the world is not as bleak as it seems.

Chin up!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Thanks to all for your input. I get really tired with conspiracy theories, doom sayers, corporate bashers and other internet garbage. What disturbs me the most is how many people take this garbage and run with it like it was the truth. No research - no validation - read it on the internet so it must be true. Sigh. I am getting old. I no longer have the patience for foolishness that I once had.

Sorry all - no intent to offend - just tired of the garbage.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Its too bad you can't believe anything. I guess knoledge education and reserch are the keys to understanding! Its ashame that so many people don't even know what a billion is compared to a trillion! I bought something the other day that came to $15.07 and gave the girl 20.00 and 7 cents. She was so confused she gave me $15 back. I looked at her and said you are wrong here is the $10 so you don't have the wrong amount in your drawer! That was my first gift to someone this year! Too many cell phones and no math skills. Maybe they should combine math so you need it to use a cell phone!

lily51
Greener Thumb

[quote="Bobberman"]Acordint to many people the planets will line up and a planet x will enter into our solar system causing damage to all the planets. Jupitor will become a sun because of a solar flare! Can anyone add to this?

Fear is a powerful control weapon to which we are all vulnerable.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Yeah Bobberman - so sad that so called adults can not even give change. IDK - I some times I deliberatly do what you did just to see the response. Usually confusion.

Sigh - I remember playing shoping games as a child with my Mother. The point was to learn how to use money and give change. I was 5 or 6 years old.

It all makes me tired.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Sounds like a good topic for a movie!!

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

I agree with PunkRotten and Dillbert......

If it happens, it happens. I don't want to be alive if no one else is. :|

Never hurts to have extra's, in case of local storms etc. but to keep

worrying about the end of the world is just plain silly. :)

lily51
Greener Thumb

If it happens, it happens. I don't want to be alive if no one else is.

Never hurts to have extra's, in case of local storms etc. but to keep

worrying about the end of the world is just plain silly.

Agree !

(still don't know the right way to highlight a quote)

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Back to the original thread - the world WILL change. It does every day. That is part of the joy of living - to experience the joy of the daily change in this wonderful world we live in. Marvel at the beauty of your garden, the bounty of the produce you have, the laughter of your childrren, grandchildren and neighbors children. Be grateful that when you breathe on the mirror in the morning it steams up - that means that you are ALIVE to enjoy one more day! Be grateful that we ar allowed to express our opinions so freely and worship as we wish. The world WILL change. It always does. Will it end? Nope. This good old Earth is a tough old girl and she will survive us all.

:P Smile :D Be happy! :clap: We live in a wonderful world. :!: Be grateful :!:

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Mail me all your garden tools as you are not going to need them after the 21st.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

:>

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

lily51 wrote:Never hurts to have extra's, in case of local storms etc. but to keep

worrying about the end of the world is just plain silly.

Agree !

(still don't know the right way to highlight a quote)
Dear lily51 (and anyone else who'd like to know how to do this :) ):

When you see someone's message that you'd like to repeat, or quote, some of in your reply, click the "quote" button in the upper right-hand corner of his/her post rather than the "Post reply" button at the end of the thread.

The "quote" button will start a new message for you, and the other person's message will be there, waiting for you. :) If you don't need all of the previous message, just delete the extra text; as an example, I removed the first bit of lily51's message from this quote, but left the rest exactly as it was.

Then you enter your response blah blah blah (mine sometimes seem like blah blah Ginger blah blah :lol: ).

Finish in your usual manner (for me, it's "sign my name and gardening zones and include sig block" the first time I post in a thread; the second or third or ??? times, it's just "sign my given name") and proceed from there to Preview or Submit.

HTH. :D

Thank you for participating, being a Master Gardener in your own city, and being courageous enough to ask this question on the open forum. You may have helped *many* members today!

Cynthia

lily51
Greener Thumb

cynthia_h wrote:
lily51 wrote:
HTH. :D

Thank you for participating, being a Master Gardener in your own city, and being courageous enough to ask this question on the open forum. You may have helped *many* members today!

Cynthia
We'll see how well I follow directions!
Thanks Cynthia for the information and the nice words.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

It's only 13. Oh No!, Not The Unlucky 13!!!!!!

Eric

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”