Pagan_Pride
Newly Registered

Aloe clippings?

I bought an aloe plant a couple of months ago and have had nothing but trouble so far. One such problem was that before I recently turned our spare bedroom into a "grow room" our kitten love to swat the aloe around. He manage to snap off about 6 inches of the tip of one leaf. A friend of mine said that what I could try was to set the piece out and let the end heal up for about a week, and then set it in some water with miracle grow and it might begin to root. It's been sitting in water for over 2 weeks now, still has a healthy color to it, but I am not seeing any roots. Does anyone know if this can actually work?

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I have never heard of trying to root a piece of aloe stem. My aloes produce pups and more pups that I transplant and give away and give away. They are so prolific that they are almost a nuscience.

The proposition sounds interesting and I look forward to postings from others or results from your experiment - for education purposes only. Too many aloes - not going to try it myself but would like the info to pass on.

Pagan_Pride
Newly Registered

Well, the thing is that my plant has not been growing or producing pups since I got it a couple of months ago. After browsing around this particular forum, I am under the impression that this is because I am using the wrong soil. It is the same stuff I use for my other houseplants, and it retains water very well. I guess I need dry soil to encourage root growth. I will be leaving in a few minutes to go get the right stuff...

I have no idea what to expect with the stem, I was just bummed because the plant has taken a beating since I got it, and with the cat maiming it, I've been fighting like hell to make SOME kind of progress with it.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

It can take a year or 2 for an aloe to produce pups so don't be discouraged. They need to be a little root bound and have lots of heat and sun. Water only when the soil completely dries out.

As for the cats what can I say - I have 2 young girls that I am the humble human servant to. They are strictly inside cats and can get into serious mischief in no time. I fuss up a storm and they give me the "who me" look. Sigh. I am such a sucker for my girls and so is my big, brawny, man's man husband. The girls will curl up on his lap and he baby talks to them for hours.

IDK - I think I lost my train of thought. Oh Aloes - let the forum know how your rooting experiment goes.

LOL

Pagan_Pride
Newly Registered

Experiment was a failure...Just turned all brown and snotty...oh well

applestar
Mod

I've never tried leaf propagating an aloe -- I think it's easier with pups as mentioned above or when you already have the basal tissue of the leaf attached.

Assuming water propagation is possible at all for aloe, I believe you would need to let the cut end dry and form callus first.

When water propagating, it's essential to change the water frequently and not allow microorganisms to breed -- I think adding MircleGro to the water might have fostered unwanted harmful growth -- fungi, algae, bacteria, etc. in the water.

I would try with several dried/callused leaf cuttings in moist sand or 1/2 and 1/2 sand and potting soil as propagating medium and put a vented humidity dome on top. Bright, diffused light. Bottom heat.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I saw an aloe plant growing in water.

I was helping my son paint a house and in the kitchen window was a large aloe, and it was simply growing in a vase of water. I can't tell you if there was minerals etc in that water, I just know there was no soil there. It had alot of roots in that vase. I assumed that they had put a pup in the vase and just left it there.

The homeowner had hired us to paint, but the renters living there were not friendly enough to ask about the aloe.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”