Toolman

New tryouts for 2013

Considering trying Delicious And Goliath for next year.
Any opinions on Reliability and taste of these 2
My new favorite this year was the Mortgage lifter.

btrowe1

just placed my order for 2013 and am getting mortgage lifter, along with some supposed giant sauce tomatoes..

did you like the mortgage lifter??

Toolman

THe mortgage lifters were great came in amazingly early.
They slowed down alot when we got into a record heat spell.
Large meaty tomatoes they canned easily also.
I had 8 different varieties The LIfters were the best.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Sounds interesting. What are the zone recomendations for delicious, goliath and mortage?

Thanks

btrowe1

I'm in zone 4 and I'm going to give them a try, also have some cherokee purples to try. My brother grew these this past year and they looked amazing.

Going to grow both from seed and start indoors as opposed to some of the others being ordered as plants. They just seem to look much better home grown.

Cool, just finished up one season and we're already onto the next. I luv this site..great way to pass some time as I watch the snow fall.

Toolman

The delicious shows about 77 days from transplant.
One sight says the delicious was bred from the brandywine.
Hardier and better disease resistant.
The Goliath 65 days which is a very early producer.
I was looking at Hometown seeds.

applestar
Mod

So are you interested in really big beefsteak type tomatoes? Do they have to be red? You may want to ask about how long they took to mature since many of this type take extra long time to mature.

I haven't tried growing any of the ones mentioned so far, but I'm going to be trying to grow earlier maturing bigger beefsteaks with great flavor this year. I'm in the process of putting all the tomato seed varieties I have in a spreadsheet and figuring out which ones to grow. :wink:

Edited To Add -- WOW we are on the same wavelength! You posted the maturity days while I was composing my reply. :shock:

applestar
Mod

Here is one member's comments about Delicious:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=146709#146709
Your other varieties are mentioned -- sometimes just in passing -- in this thread too.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I have grown Goliath (hybrid original) for a half dozen seasons, on & off. It is a nice-sized red with plenty of flavor.

I'm going back to it this year because it has always done well for me. Supposedly, it has a good disease resistance package (as they say). That's important even if something horrible doesn't just come thru and destroy your planting. There are a number of problems that weaken plants and limit production. It is great when plants produce more than we need rather than struggle along and only kick out a few tomatoes.

Yes, Goliath is really early for a beefsteak. By the way, there are a number of Goliath varieties. There is, I guess, even an open-pollinated version. I don't know anything about these others - I've only grown what is called the "Original Goliath Hybrid."

Steve

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”