applestar
Mod

Whine, sob...

I was not well due to health issues through the late fall, and last of my fall garden didn't get harvested/worked. I've been hoping to get out there and do something, anything, but it's finally here -- full winter blast/hard freeze. Looking at the thermometer at 21°F right now, I'm wishing them all a sad good bye.

I have a bin full of compost that didn't get spread --- but I suppose I could still do that if we have some kind of warm up.

Most regrettable is that my 4'x4' patch of sweet potatoes didn't get dug. Well it'll be an amazing tomato bed in spring. :roll: :cry: :lol:

Two Corno di Toro pepper plants I'd planned to over winter didn't get dug up.

Various fall greens-- I'd particularly wanted to bring in the last harvest of celery, green onions, and cilantro. And I'd grown a variety of Asian greens, spinach, broccoli, etc. .... Ah well. Last of the beans.... Daikon.... My Falstaff Brussels sprouts -- I might still be able to harvest them in the morning if the current fever lets up....:?

Bag of red Chesnok garlic didn't get planted. I'll be looking for a thaw in January again. That worked one year.

Most worrisome is that I didn't get to mulch. This can affect much of the garden. We're looking at temp drop into the teens this week. :(

...on the bright side my winter indoor tomato project is going well and peppers are also starting to bloom... :D

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Can't Himself mulch the plants? Of all the tasks you've listed as sadly not completed, this one might be the least skilled and easiest to explain to a non-gardener. It could (maybe) save the hardiest plants.

Could he possibly harvest the greens? If not, that's really too bad; since you're not feeling well, good warm veggie soup would feel good. :(

How old is your oldest...daughter? Can she bring in any veggies tomorrow?

I'm so sorry your Thanksgiving weekend went poorly. {{{Applestar}}}

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

So sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well. Even with good health, sometimes it's hard to get all the fall yard work done. I kept wanting to get out, through all the Indian summer weather we had (and did in little bits here and there) but what with work, Thanksgiving preparation and celebration, and various busy-ness it was hard to do. One of those days, I gritted my teeth and spent indoors helping a handicapped friend pack and clean in preparation for moving. And by the time a bit of free time came along, we had the same wintry blast.

Take care of yourself, there's always another season for the garden! (Though I hear your pain ... having to leave a bunch of sweet potatoes to rot in the garden is kind of a tragedy)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

There are a number of ways to think about these kind of problems. I like this one:
applestar wrote: . . . my 4'x4' patch of sweet potatoes didn't get dug. Well it'll be an amazing tomato bed in spring. . .
I am not entirely sure how much concern I'd have about this one:
applestar wrote: . . . Most worrisome is that I didn't get to mulch. This can affect much of the garden. . .
Aren't we always hearing how pests overwinter in our gardens? Personally, I have never been real happy with mulch at any time of the year. The best places I have found for mulch are in the paths of the perennials and using compost mulch in place of hilling with soil around those plants that benefit from that practice. In recent years, I've been very much focused on getting organic matter directly into the soil late in the season. I know -- that can be more work than spreading mulch or turning compost.

The compost, which I've tried to make use of right thru the season - it is always hungry, Applestar :wink: . Yes, my tender veggies would be best used after showing up on my table but they certainly are not lost when they are fed to compost and soil critters.

Steve

pinksand
Greener Thumb

I'm so sorry to hear that you aren't feeling well applestar :( I can imagine your disappointment as you put time and care into growing your assortment of veggies etc. Hopefully come Spring you will have some well nourished soil!

It's so difficult to keep up this time of year. We had gorgeous weather a few weekends ago and we were out of town (in the snow, where we couldn't even enjoy the beautiful days). I just kept thinking of all that I could be getting done in the garden. With the shorter days, I don't have any daylight when I get home from work so the opportunities to work in the garden are slim. I'm afraid I also missed the appropriate time to overwinter what I planned to bring in weeks ago. *sigh* next year!

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I hope you are doing better now.

LA47
Green Thumb

I'm sorry you aren't feeling well and are so sad over your garden. As everyone has said, there is next year to look forward to. Hope your feeling better soon.

applestar
Mod

Aww. You are all the BEST! :D
Thanks for your encouragements and well wishes. Helping me to stay focused on the positive!

I'm sure your positive energy helped -- I did feel better this afternoon and went out for a little while. My garden was trucking along despite neglect, and the plastic sheeting low tunnels I had put over some of the beds had apparently protected (and are protecting) enough. The Brussels sprouts though left in the open weren't even frozen.

I have a decent harvest of beets, sugar beets, turnips, and daikons -- all with their greens, a parsnip and a rutabaga too, all the B. sprouts, some Swiss chard, some celery, and a few undamaged sweet potatoes (though full dig out was beyond me -- so yep, still looking forward to a great tomato bed :wink: ). It looks like cilantro and Red Russian Kale are hanging on too so maybe I can get them tomorrow and possibly plant those garlic.

I discovered to my relief that I did mulch the fruit trees and some other critical areas earlier when I weed'n'mulched. If I can get it done before the drop into teens on Thursday, things should be mostly OK. -- I thought about what you said digitS, but I think my area gets too frigid cold but dry with hardly any snow cover, so mulching is probably necessary. I've had unmulched garlic heave themselves right out of the ground. :shock: I do always use the compost and fall leaves for mulch.

As usual, looking around, I discovered more things that needs to be done, and I doubt that everything will GET done, but I'm in a better frame of mind now and will enjoy what I can. :wink:

You know, I initially wondered why I didn't ask for help and wondered if it's kind of pathetic that I can't ask someone to do these things. I really had to think about it. Then I remembered that some time ago when series of health issues kept interfering with gardening seasons, I decided that I wouldn't ask someone else to do gardening chores in my stead.

...that's not to say I don't envy partners who both enjoy gardening. 8)
Unfortunately, that's not how things are around here -- DH went fishing on Friday and came home with some stripers/striped bass and tales of woe that he only caught "short" 'taugs/blackfish that had to be thrown back. :lol:

I ask for help when I can't do something by myself -- like spreading frost covers in windy conditions or before complete darkness falls, or if cutting a branch is beyond pruning/handsaw/bowsaw and needs powered equipment, constructing a garden structure that takes more than two hands, etc. I decided back then that if I can't complete a season's worth of gardening tasks, then I have no business starting it. They're MY tasks. I occasionally ask if they WANT to help do some things WITH me. If I can't get them done, then the plants can go back to earth, and there is always the next year.

Still, that determination wavers in the face of vegetables that I grew with my own hands and ready to harvest wasted or lost to nature's unstoppable onslaught, or thought of lost future harvest. :roll: Mostly the reason I titled this thread "Whine" because that's what I was doing -- whining. :oops:

...but I knew no one else would understand what I was feeling better than my fellow gardeners. I think we've all been there due to one reason or another. Thanks again! :()
Last edited by applestar on Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Sorry you are not well. Glad you were able to get out today and salvage some of your produce. Not a total loss. The produce you lost will benifit you in the spring so nothing is a total loss.

Take care and keep spring in mind. Moon over seed and plant catalogs over winter. When all is bleak and dreary out side those seed catalogs and plant books can keep my spirits up over winter.

Hope you feel better soon.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Your are all right in my book Apple. :flower:

Sorry about your being ill. But it seems to me you are doing okay.

The indoor garden is getting the attention your outdoor one should be. But either way, right.

Make sure you won't have sweet potato frenzy next year, if you leave them in the ground.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I understand your thinking/ feeling about asking for help in the garden. I'm like that too. My Honey runs the lawn mower (on our postage stamp lawn) and occasionally waters in drought if I have to work. Otherwise my garden is mine and I do it all. Also re kitchen clean up: When I cook dinner for us, MH does all the dishes/ kitchen clean up afterwards. But all the extra stuff I do, when the soup stock finishes up at 9PM after the kitchen is clean, or making all the jams/jellies, biscotti or what not, those are my projects and I do all the kitchen clean up.

But I think we both may be wrong. After all the family benefits. For me the family benefits from a lot of the extra kitchen projects, because the Christmas presents are OUR gifts to OUR friends. For you, the family eats a lot of what you grow. If they aren't going to help at least some and especially when you aren't feeling well, then you should do a Little Red Hen, you didn't help make it, you don't get to help eat it. :) :)

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I love the part about sharing the Bengay! I keep asking myself what happened - how did I get this old when I am still so young? My heart and mind are young but my body betrays me. We went to a business function Thursday night at "The House of Blues" in Houston. GREAT oarty done up right. danced all night and could barely walk the next mrning then had to face the 4 hour drive home. Crashed and burned at 7 pm Friday night. Sigh - I keep forgetting that I am no longer 40 something. Sorry you are not feeling well. Get better soon. There is always next season for your garden. Frost bitten tomatoes and peppers can be used for chow chow. Lovely spicy stuff that cans well.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”