HonoluluGirl

How do you save papaya seeds?

Hi all,

I scooped out some papaya seeds. I want to plant some of them now and save some for later. They're pretty slimy and gooey. I'm soaking them in water and rinsing them, but they're still slimy. How do I save the papaya seeds? Do I have to get rid of the slime before I dry them? Thanks!

applestar
Mod

Rubbing against wire strainer will help, but most likely you can just use the fermentation method -- leave in a small amount of unchlorinated water (maybe with a bit of skin since you've already rinsed off all the natural juices/liquid) until the liquid becomes cloudy and/or white "mold" starts to form on the surface (2-3 days) then stir and pour off any floaters, add more water and pour off, then rinse in strainer -- the gel should come off easily then. Put back in container, add water and pour off floaters. Then strain out the water and dry off.

You want to cover the container to keep out fruit flies. People variously say loosely cover with plastic wrap or rubber band a coffeee filter or paper towel, or tightly cover with lid.

BUT! Tree seeds usually shouldn't be dried completely or they won't remain viable to germinate. So I don't know how to save them to grow later -- how much later? I think they might be OK if kept in damp sand or (well they usualy say peat moss but I don't like to use them -- maybe shredded coco coir) at around 45-50°F? In my experience, seeds from refrigerated tropical fruits tend to be extremey slow germinating or not germinate at all so regular refrigerator might be too cold. What is the coldest winter temp where papayas grow?
Last edited by applestar on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

my understanding is that papaya seed shouldn't dry down all the way, or they won't germinate. the little jellysacks that each individual seed is in can be sown directly like that - there isn't a significant difference in germination whether the seeds are 'clean' or still encased. for storage, maybe refrigeration, with or without the wet seed casings?

HonoluluGirl

Thank you both. ok, I won't dry them completely. I think I'll let them air dry for a day then wrap them in a paper towel and refrigerate them. I don't know how long I'll store them for. I just wanted to be able to plant them whenever I feel like it. The good thing about living in Hawaii is I don't need to worry about timing the seasons. Every day is the same here (except the winter time is wetter and the summer is dryer).

HonoluluGirl

oops. deleting double-post.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

HonoluluGirl wrote:Thank you both. ok, I won't dry them completely. I think I'll let them air dry for a day then wrap them in a paper towel and refrigerate them. I don't know how long I'll store them for. I just wanted to be able to plant them whenever I feel like it. The good thing about living in Hawaii is I don't need to worry about timing the seasons. Every day is the same here (except the winter time is wetter and the summer is dryer).
I have the same thing here in Southern California except that the winter is a bit cooler.

Return to “All Other Fruit”