sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Harvested green beans for seeds, molding

I brought in all the green beans bc we got a frost and everything died. I brought them in the house to dry them out and I laid them out on a screen with airflow. Everything is covered in mold. My house is always really dry inside, so I don't know why everything is molding. My corn cobs that I was drying out molded too. the tomatoes mold too. gah!

Can I still use the beans? should I put them in the dehydrator on a low heat or where should I put them to save the seeds so they can effectively dry out? Should I take the seeds out of the pods?

sciencegal

I don't pick the pods until they are dry. Then I remove the beans from the pods and keep them in a bowl on a paper towel for a week or so stirring them up every so often. Then I store the beans in a paper bag in a cool place. I don't store the beans in the pods. That could be the reason for the mold, especially if you picked the pods still slightly green or wet.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I picked dry beans last year and shelled them for seed. Alas, they did not germinate very well. About 40%. I picked some again this year, and will check germination before planting out next season. I may just have bean soup instead of seed.

I don't know why everything is molding for you except that it must have still been damp when you picked it. If you can spread it out and put a fan to blow over it, it should dry. I don't think the mold will ruin seed if just the pods are moldy, but if you planned to eat it, you would likely get a moldy taste.

Look up your [url=https://www.wunderground.com/q/zmw:04966.2.99999]local weather[/url] and see what the relative humidity is. Perhaps it is not as dry as you think?

applestar
Mod

Depending on the weather, I can't wait until the pods dry on the vines because the wet fall weather can cause the pods to start growing mold. If I suspect that will happen, I pick the beans after they mature and lose their green color (or texture of the pod changes) but before they are dried out, and dry them in the house.

If the pods are starting to mold, it's important to deal with it before the mold grows into the seeds inside, or their germination will be affected. I would be hesitant to use heat. If you have dry sand, you could try putting the beans in the sand -- that helps to get the mold off and dry them -- the process is similar to drying flowers. Diatomaceous Earth helps to dry them too.

I would consider spraying the moldy pods with alcohol and taking them out of the pods to finish drying. If the beans are still damp, then washing the shelled beans in alcohol or baking soda solution (1Tbs to a gallon of water I think) probably wouldn't be adding much more moisture, but if they are already drying, I would use alcohol. Some people might use weak bleach solution.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

well that is the problem. It rains nearly every single day! they won't ever dry. so basically is it a lost cause, unless they insides aren't moldy and I can maybe save them?

I am 'this close' to giving up gardening for a year. everything keeps going wrong and I am getting fed up!

On the bright side, my plummer friend installed a water neutralizer so I won't have 5.2 pH to water my garden with!

applestar
Mod

Only way to tell is to open them. Sometimes, I find dried pods that look like they had molded then dried, but the beans inside are clean, shiny and dry, and other times, the beans are fluffy with mold and are unsalvageable. :x

You can't quit now. You have the right kind of water!

I have to thank you for bringing this up, because I'm saving a new kind of beans -- Old Mother Stallard. They are big plump beans (like cranberry beans I think) and I've been having to harvest the pods still full of moisture since they seem to turn black when left on the vine to dry. I hadn't looked at them in a few days and your post reminded me to check --- There WERE a good few moldy pods that needed to be shelled and some beans needed the alcohol bath. I've also taken the rest of the pods out of the now contaminated paper bag and put them in a net bag to hang for better circulation.

Btw. I had a terrible tomato season, though I did still have a few to eat and cook with every week and even have some green ones -- not a whole lot. So today we had a nice sized one that ripened in the kitchen, and I put one slice in my hamburger and cut up the rest in wedges. Had one wedge and my younger daughter ate the rest, including the last two wedges that I had considered eating myself. (When I asked her if she wanted more, she nodded happily and took both!). It's all worth it. :D

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

mmmmmmmmmmmmm fresh tomatoes! YUM! I have some in here too but they keep rotting. :( ugh, what a pain in the behind. I think we had 2 weeks of tomatoes this year and that was it! pathetic.

My black beans all were gone to ruin too :( didn't get any of those. bummer! I need to get some garlic still if it is still time.

All that is left is swiss chard and kale. I don't know what to do with the chard, I grew it because everyone here says it is awesome, but I don't know what to do with the stuff. Kale, we dehydrate. next year I'm doing a row cover over the leafies bc of the moths.

I'm sure my friends won't let me quit. After all I am the one who encourages them that they can do it! My property is just a a horrible place to harbor disease. All it took this year was my daughter going to surgery mid July, me not spraying neem for a week, and the disease was able to set in enough that I couldn't keep on top of it any longer. :(

applestar
Mod

I use raw Swiss chard in salads and cook them like spinach. I particularly like them in omelets and pasta sauce. I generally cook the stems separately as stirfry and soup veg.

We went to the zoo for a field trip on Wed and a mom we sat with for lunch introduced me to puffed snack tossed in kale powder. (I'm told she got them from Whole Foods and am going to look for them next time) but I thought what a great idea to dry and powder kale -- then you could "hide" them in anything! :(). My kale are recovering from the summer of constant cabbage butterfly and moth caterpillar, harlequin bug, and grey cabbage aphid attacks and are starting to grow nice leaves again. 8)

applestar
Mod

Dried beans -- This year I was trying some different beans. I'm drawing a conclusion that it's a good idea to find beans that mature before fall rains start. I told you about Old Mother Stallard and how the pods are spoiling before drying in the wet fall weather.

Another one was Christmas lima beans. I bought some from the bulk section at Whole Foods so I didn't have the seed growing information until after I planted them just for fun, and it turned out to grow rather slowly. I have quite a few pods out there that are still flat and not filled out but the leaves have turned papery and white after the frost.

A few years ago, I grew adzuki beans from a packaged bag. The pods matured and dried in the midst of the summer drought and started to shatter from one day to the next, before I could harvest them. :roll:

I just need something in the middle.... :wink:

sciencegal

Grow lots of Kale! It's the most nutritious vegetable known to mankind. I blanch and freeze it then I can either cook it further and eat it with butter and a little lemon juice, mix it with sausage, or chop it up and add it to eggs. I also put it in stews and soups. Last winter, kale from my garden was about the only vegetable I saved. I ate it all winter. I cook on a wood burning stove in the winter so I usually have a big pot of stew and soup going all the time. This year so far I've frozen about 7 quarts of Toscana kale and am getting ready this weekend to freeze the curly winterbore kale.

On the beans, I guess I thought that if the bean doesn't mature completely on the plant it won't germinate. I've kept quite a few generations of rattlesnake beans without having to buy more. The germination rate has been high. I've always left the pod on the vine until it becomes dry and before it freezes. Although, the beans can tolerate freezing weather fine. They come up on their own if I don't get them all.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I love the swiss chard, use it all the time. You can substitute it for spinach any way you would use spinach, raw in salads or cooked. I make swiss chard lasagna following a spinach lasagna recipe. Dinner last night was a fresh tomato, rice, swiss chard casserole. I think the swiss chard lasagna comes out better than with spinach, more flavor and substance. Recipes for a Small Planet cookbook has a wonderful bean cheesy chard recipe that is one of our favorites -- rice and beans and cheese and chard.

I am still working on keeping up with using all the tomatoes that keep ripening up (indoors). I need to make something tomato-ey again today or tomorrow.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

sciencegal wrote:Grow lots of Kale! It's the most nutritious vegetable known to mankind. I blanch and freeze it then I can either cook it further and eat it with butter and a little lemon juice, mix it with sausage, or chop it up and add it to eggs. I also put it in stews and soups. Last winter, kale from my garden was about the only vegetable I saved. I ate it all winter. I cook on a wood burning stove in the winter so I usually have a big pot of stew and soup going all the time. This year so far I've frozen about 7 quarts of Toscana kale and am getting ready this weekend to freeze the curly winterbore kale.

On the beans, I guess I thought that if the bean doesn't mature completely on the plant it won't germinate. I've kept quite a few generations of rattlesnake beans without having to buy more. The germination rate has been high. I've always left the pod on the vine until it becomes dry and before it freezes. Although, the beans can tolerate freezing weather fine. They come up on their own if I don't get them all.
speaking of kale, how long will it grow for? and if I cover it in with a cold frame type thing, how long will it go for then?

what is your favorite variety of kale?

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:I use raw Swiss chard in salads and cook them like spinach. I particularly like them in omelets and pasta sauce. I generally cook the stems separately as stirfry and soup veg.

We went to the zoo for a field trip on Wed and a mom we sat with for lunch introduced me to puffed snack tossed in kale powder. (I'm told she got them from Whole Foods and am going to look for them next time) but I thought what a great idea to dry and powder kale -- then you could "hide" them in anything! :(). My kale are recovering from the summer of constant cabbage butterfly and moth caterpillar, harlequin bug, and grey cabbage aphid attacks and are starting to grow nice leaves again. 8)
We had so many of those cabbage moth thingies on ours it was GROSS. like really difficult to clean, smelled nasty bc of all the poop etc. In fact, it is still that way. there are caterpillars all over it still. next year I am definitely covering them. We like kale, I just need to make it easier for me to use it. and kale powder? that sounds awesome. mmmm. Imagine all the possibilities! I am getting a coffee grinder for my birthday so I can concoct all kinds of stuff :) this will now be on the list!

I will maybe try the chard. it scares me a little hehehhe

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:I love the swiss chard, use it all the time. You can substitute it for spinach any way you would use spinach, raw in salads or cooked. I make swiss chard lasagna following a spinach lasagna recipe. Dinner last night was a fresh tomato, rice, swiss chard casserole. I think the swiss chard lasagna comes out better than with spinach, more flavor and substance. Recipes for a Small Planet cookbook has a wonderful bean cheesy chard recipe that is one of our favorites -- rice and beans and cheese and chard.

I am still working on keeping up with using all the tomatoes that keep ripening up (indoors). I need to make something tomato-ey again today or tomorrow.
Thanks! I'll try to brave myself and pick some tomorrow if it ever stops raining!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

On the beans I will add.

If the pods are wet and you bring them into a warm situation the beans may sprout inside. Some of my Ken Early dry beans sprouted. :x

Eric

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

oh gosh. I didn't think of that! Well, even if I kept them outside, they'd probably sprout. it has been raining daily for a month!

sciencegal

sheeshshe wrote:
speaking of kale, how long will it grow for? and if I cover it in with a cold frame type thing, how long will it go for then?

I like Toscana Kale which have the long skinny, really dark green leaves. The young leaves are great raw in a greek salad. I also grow the curly winterbore kale. I don't eat it until after the first freeze which sweetens it up. The curly kale will survive most of the winter without any cover. You can pick the leaves from under the snow, if it snows. The Toscana isn't as happy with extremely low temperatures.

I don't have much experience with growing kale when it rains all the time. It rarely rains here.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

What I did when I grew cabbage to get rid of the cabbage worms is I dusted them with flour. Just normal household flower when they eat it makes them bloat and die. It doesnt get every single one, the outside leaves will still have a few holes but my cabbage was perfect.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

ReptileAddiction wrote:What I did when I grew cabbage to get rid of the cabbage worms is I dusted them with flour. Just normal household flower when they eat it makes them bloat and die. It doesnt get every single one, the outside leaves will still have a few holes but my cabbage was perfect.
awesome! thanks!

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

sciencegal wrote:
sheeshshe wrote:

I like Toscana Kale which have the long skinny, really dark green leaves. The young leaves are great raw in a greek salad. I also grow the curly winterbore kale. I don't eat it until after the first freeze which sweetens it up. The curly kale will survive most of the winter without any cover. You can pick the leaves from under the snow, if it snows. The Toscana isn't as happy with extremely low temperatures.

I don't have much experience with growing kale when it rains all the time. It rarely rains here.
I don't' recall what variety I planted. I'm going to have to find the seed packet :) it would be neat if I could pick it throughout the winter

applestar
Mod

sheeshshe wrote:
ReptileAddiction wrote:What I did when I grew cabbage to get rid of the cabbage worms is I dusted them with flour. Just normal household flower when they eat it makes them bloat and die. It doesnt get every single one, the outside leaves will still have a few holes but my cabbage was perfect.
awesome! thanks!
When I read this, cynical/suspicious person that I am, I immediately ran a search for "flour treated with Bt". interestingly enough Wikipedia article for Bt states:
B. thuringiensis also occurs naturally in the gut of caterpillars of various types of moths and butterflies, as well on leaf surfaces, aquatic environments, animal feces, insect rich environments, flour mills and grain storage facilities.[1][2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillus_thuringiensis

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Here are some moldy bean pods out in the rain. The seed look pretty good.

Royal Burgundy
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20-%20Saving%20seed/VegetablegardenOct18th2012013_zps713c9c14.jpg[/img]

Yellow wax Rocdor
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20-%20Saving%20seed/VegetablegardenOct18th2012012_zps5988c4fe.jpg[/img]

Eric
Last edited by DoubleDogFarm on Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

applestar
Mod

I KNOW! You mustn't give up on those nasty looking pods and throw them away. ALWAYS open them up and see what's inside. :wink:

I don't know why some of them end up furry and other are shiny and good.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

a lot of mine were discolored and yellowy even though they weren't moldy. I tossed them. I think there are going to be just a few that will germinate, a lot of them look too small :( Oh well, I tried!

applestar
Mod

I know you said you tossed them already, but remember too that until they dry, the fresh beans undergo different color changes.

A drastic example is an edamame variety that when harvested in mature but untried pods are oblong green, but by the time they are dry, become black and almost spherical.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Well, they were the jade beans. I remember what they looked like when I planted them out of the packet. Some were that color and others were discolored. I kept the ones that were the right color and tossed the rest. I guess there is always next year. :cry: :cry:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I guess there is always next year.
Yes, and every season is different. Each year is a new adventure.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

To everything - turn, turn, turn
There is a season - turn, turn, turn
And a time for every purpose under heaven

Sorry, James's post just reminded me of The Byrds song, "Turn Turn Turn"

Eric

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I like the song, but you might as well give credit where it is due --

Ecclesiastes 3 King Jame Version Bible Verses 1-8:

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;

A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;

A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;

A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;

A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:I like the song, but you might as well give credit where it is due --

A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;

A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;

A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;

:P

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:To everything - turn, turn, turn
There is a season - turn, turn, turn
And a time for every purpose under heaven

Sorry, James's post just reminded me of The Byrds song, "Turn Turn Turn"

Eric
:)

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

jal_ut wrote:
I guess there is always next year.
Yes, and every season is different. Each year is a new adventure.
Let next year's BE THE ONE! The one year where I feel satisfied :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Part of feeling satisfied is in the eye of the beholder. There will always be things you could beat yourself up about (I SHOULD have ... ) and there will always be things you could feel satisfied about (wow the melons - or whatever - were really good). You choose what you want to focus on.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.

So feed your soil and it will feed you. :wink:

Eric

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:I like the song, but you might as well give credit where it is due --

Ecclesiastes 7:5
It is better to heed the rebuke of a wise person than to listen to the song of fools.

Eric :roll:

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Part of feeling satisfied is in the eye of the beholder. There will always be things you could beat yourself up about (I SHOULD have ... ) and there will always be things you could feel satisfied about (wow the melons - or whatever - were really good). You choose what you want to focus on.
Yes, but most years area a wash. Just one year I'd like to get a moderate yield for the time and effort I put into it. Next year, next year!!!!!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You got a terrific yield for the time and effort you put in to it -- exercise, fresh air, time away from the computer/cell phone/TV etc, closeness to nature and the seasons and green growing things, bird song, relaxation, engagement of all the senses, etc, etc. If you garden mindfully, that is staying present to your senses, being in the moment, not thinking about all the things going wrong, but just enjoying the breezes, birds, flowers, sights, sounds, scents, gardening is one of the most serene and healing pastimes there is.

If you get a few organic veggies from it, that's a bonus, but like life generally, it is the journey not the destination that counts.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:You got a terrific yield for the time and effort you put in to it -- exercise, fresh air, time away from the computer/cell phone/TV etc, closeness to nature and the seasons and green growing things, bird song, relaxation, engagement of all the senses, etc, etc. If you garden mindfully, that is staying present to your senses, being in the moment, not thinking about all the things going wrong, but just enjoying the breezes, birds, flowers, sights, sounds, scents, gardening is one of the most serene and healing pastimes there is.

If you get a few organic veggies from it, that's a bonus, but like life generally, it is the journey not the destination that counts.
Yes, I do enjoy all of that. I love all that part of it. However, I want to try and store some veggies up to help feed the family through the winter. SO it is frustrating to me when I don't' have any extras to do that and I work towards doing that. I mean, I love going out there and tending etc. and I love being out in nature etc and I love going out there to cool down when I am stressed etc. But in the end, yes all those things are rewarding, but I still don't have the extras to store up for the winter :( I wanted to get good at doing some homesteading and honestly I don't see how anyone can do it. Each year I give a moderate effort and each year I have friends who I help get started, and my friends get more veggies out of their gardens than I do. They come over and look at my 'big garden' and then I tell them how it doesnt really yield anything LOL. I sort of feel like a hypocrite that I can help them out but I can't help myself out.

Ok, wow that went on a tangent! LOL so sorry! but yes, I do enjoy gardening. It is very relaxing and it is fun to see things grow. :) or not grow LOL

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”