ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

End of Season 2012 Thread

So me and a few other members were discussing end of season stuff on another thread and decided it deserved it's own thread instead of hijacking someone else's. Post here your successes, failures, what you liked, what you disliked, what you plan to do differently next year, etc.

For me my tomatos were an utter failure. I got maybe 5 fruits. I do not think I will do maters next year. :shock: My compost was also another failure. I put some green tomatos in there and I have been eating them out as they go ripe. That is how bad it was. My fruit was by far my best year yet. I plan on putting in much more bare root in January.

Have fun!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Woah wait a minute. Is there an end to the season?

My indoor gardening is filling up, should I stop? :lol: :flower:

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

I was very happy with my tomatoes God I could not have done anything with more than I had!

I need to figure out what's going on with my zucchini I think I only got maybe 4 and they were small. I had plants just die over night and those that didn't got the leaf mildew.

Next year I will be planting my second crop sooner I waited to long and lost to many cucumbers to frost.

thepumpkin

End of season? :D I still have plenty of leek, turnips, spinach, and jerusalem artichoke growing outside :)

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Ok I will say it is the end to the main crops and summer and the start of winter. If you are like me I have stuff growing all year long.

greenstubbs

My maters didn't do good either this year. I have been doing them in pots, but I plan on doing them in the ground next year. I bailed on my chocker as it's just to hot here in Vacaville for them. Don't know yet what else I'll do different yet. I'll be trying something different next year. Being from the mid-west and growing up eating yellow corn, I'll be growing some. This so called "sweet corn that's white'" they sell here in Ca. just don't cut it for me, and it surely isn't sweet! You left coasters have no idea what your missing, your so nieve and narrow minded! Just sayin.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Except that Chicago is like my second home. I spend a couple weeks there about every 6 months. I visit a suburb called Dekalb County. It is by far some of the richest farm land in the world. I know good corn!

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

My tomatoes and corn did horrible this year. I blame it on the rogue heat wave we got early in the summer.

The best was the Yakon and Jerusalem artichokes. And the chickens if they count. We got lots of eggs from them, and the Jerusalem (not for eating this year) went from about 7 or 8 that I got in a trade, to about 50 to plant next year! And considering they were planted late I think that's pretty good.

The Yakon I got from !potatoes! grew like crazy. Although it was early, my curiosity got the best of me and I dug up one of the smaller plants. I got a nice little haul of tubers and I see about 8 new ones to divide off of the rhizome. Now if I can just find some good advice on how to divide those rhizomes I'll really be in good shape.

I will also pat myself on the back for actually getting around to fall planting this year. I have a second wave of lettuce, spinach and Bok Choy out there right now doing great!

btrowe1

One of the best years I ever had, With the drought and all, I adjusted my watering of the garden and cut back to 2 times a week, I use to water every day.
I was able to freeze and process so many tomatoes I needed to give some away, I was able to freeze close to 10 gallon size bags of beans, the hot peppers did amazing, my greens bells how ever did not do so good, and seemed to come on yo late in the season, Onions were of great size and all were keepers. I used the radish trick and the vine borers stayed away and I had cucumbers alamost all season, Thats a good trick worth doing again. My brussels are still in and getting bigger than ever.

All in all great season, Now I can only hope that the garlic I justed planted does the same for next year.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”