edelweiss

NEXT TO GARDENING WHAT IS YOUR 2. FAVOURITE HOBBY?

:D While I am taking a break from work, sipping some green tea, I was just wondering, what is your second favourite hobby next to gardening? Interested to share?

Edelweiß

P.S: Mine are:art, craft ,music, baking/cooking/gardening/nature, animals, Astrology,Motorcycles, horse back riding,hiking/mountain climbing,skiing/x country skiing, biking
Last edited by edelweiss on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Baseball, then fishing.

edelweiss

I used to fish as a child, but since I got married, no more chance to go fishing. :(

Can not response that fast but ja, I totally forgot about baking. Oh do I love baking. My signature cake is the famous ,,BAUMKUCHEN''

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Messing with CharlieMV.

I have other interest but seem to get little response here.

Eric

edelweiss

Tell me about your other interest. :D

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I enjoy woodworking and have a nice shop set up in an area of the first floor of my house. I especially like to build odd things that folks can't readily find in stores. I do a lot of stuff in cypress but have built things using mahogany, teak, oak, birch and walnut.

Cooking is another of my interests and my wife likes it that way. I cook all of our meals and especially like to entertain friends and family. Food is one of our great passions in SE Louisiana.

bnoles

woodworking and outdoor cooking (bbq) in that order.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

I enjoy mountain biking, yoga, and playing volleyball. I've only recently started enjoying cooking and have had some fun entertaining in our new house now that I have a decent sized kitchen to work in ;)

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

I am a completely unapologetic out of the closet Glee watcher. I have every single Glee song ever sung on my iPod except for the two Brittany Spears episodes. I don't like Brittany or Janet Jackson. I do like the old Michael stuff. Sometimes I mist up watching Glee. I play it really loud while I workout.

I like Cee Lo Green too.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I have an endless list of interests almost too many, more things than listed bellow.
For hobbies I like photography, Photoshop, 3D drawing and animation, video and I am a dynamic media artist, this means that I composite video with graphics, 3D animation and special effects. I have a green screen in my studio. We have a music, video and photography studio in our home. I play keyboard, piano, guitar, bass, harmonica and sing. I also program percussions.
I went to collage for electronics engineering and like to build or work on electronic devices; this is very helpful when you have a recoding studio.
I have made some furniture and started wood carving.
I was a member of the pyrotechnics guild and have done a number of fireworks shows.
I know how to make most of the stuff you see at the big shows and some things you may have never seen.
I like going to art museums and galleries.
I like to watch movies.
I like to cook.
I like going new places.
I like watching birds and wild life.
I like reading text books and manuals and some times stories.
I work on my yard tools like gas powered tools and tractors, not my favorite thing but needed.
Oh like all of you, I like going on the net. LOL
I spend a lot of time working on my house. I have bought fixer uppers that I remodeled, my current home included. I am currently working an out building.
I like to landscape, build trails and roads around the property.
For sports I like to ski, I get a pass for my wife and myself at a local ski area. We live near some ski areas on Mt. Hood so that we can go skiing about twice a week. I was a ski patroller and a ski instructor plus I raced for years, I tried snow boarding and used to play on snowmobiles. I am a little bit addicted to snow, the kind that falls from the sky.
I have Barefoot Sanger tournament boat and love to water ski, I like to ski the water ski course; my wife is a good boat driver. A water ski course can be a humbling experience, trying to make all 6 balls is not easy, especially as the rope gets shorter. I also love to swim and be in the water, I wake board and due to hard crashes gave up bare footing; I may be part water dog.

lorax
Greener Thumb

After gardening (which I don't regard as a hobby - it's a way of life), there follows:
Pickin' the banjo
General outdoorsiness, particularly hiking and riding
Photography
Reading anything I can get my grubby little paws on
Pyrotechnics (making and setting off - I do like blowing stuff up!)
Sewing and tailoring
Jewelrymaking/smithing
Painting

And a whole host of other things.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Gardening takes you a lot of places... if I grow food, then I have to cook it, so I automatically became interested in cooking, then in preserving, canning, freezing, jams/ jellies etc. Since I grow herbs then I became interest ed in herbalism, medicinal and culinary uses of herbs, herbal oils and vinegars, baked goods like lavender biscotti, lavender chocolate brownies, etc, which then lead to distilling essential oils, making soaps, candles, lotions. And of course, I have to take pictures of my garden/ flowers and that leads to interest in photography. Also birds, insects, wildlife, native plants, ecosystems. Sometimes inspires poetry, spirituality, various kinds of writing, leading workshops on things like Gardening as a Spiritual Path. And almost by definition if you are a true gardener, you are a nature lover and outdoorsy, so I like to hike, camp, spend time in the woods. Often this is done as Sierra Club Service trips, where I spend time in the woods helping to heal them, eradicating invasive foreign species and re-planting natives.

I have a "Ministry of Dirt" which includes helping some of my disabled friends with their gardens.

And of course I do some knitting and other crafts that aren't particularly garden related.

And I'm a political activist, volunteering time for a variety of peace, justice, environmental causes (Ban Fracking!!), but I'm not allowed to mention that here. :)

This is my life, the work I do to earn money is my "hobby."
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

lorax wrote:After gardening (which I don't regard as a hobby - it's a way of life), there follows:
How cool you are Lorax.

Our club has rented gun clubs and had a blast. I have gone to week long conventions where the worlds pyros came. We did the Fort Vancouver 4th show for years, largest show this side of the USA, over 3000 mortars and tons more stuff. The insurance and permits are getting harder to get so this slows one down. Do you make your own stars?

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Rainbow; lavender chocolate brownies?
Canning and things that spin off of gardening here also, I bet most of us can say that is something we have in common.
I have made places in the yard where I can sit and reflect or just melt away into nature.

My wife and I are into the environment, our nature charities there are the National Parks advocates and the Nature Conservancy; I like the Nature Conservancy as the buy land and restore it and then preserve the natural places. Some times they do a deal with the governments to make parks or wild preserves.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

oh yes, lavender chocolate brownies, cake, etc. Wonderful! If you google lavender chocolate brownies you will find lots of recipes. But you can convert any chocolate recipe into lavender chocolate just by grinding up dried lavender with the sugar in blender.

Use plenty! The recipes tend to be scared of the lavender. One recipe I saw called for 1/4 tsp lavender in the whole recipe. Come on, how many lavender molecules are going to be in each brownie!! ? I used a tablespoon and that was not too much.

I agree, love Nature Conservancy. They are doing a lot to contribute to the science as well as preserving wild land. They do a lot of things like tracking migration patterns so they can figure out what are the most important pieces to preserve. If you want to still have e.g. vireos or hummingbirds in your area, you have to not only have appropriate habitat for them here, you have to have appropriate habitat at where ever they winter over in South America and they have be able to find what they need all along the migration path. So NC is doing lots of tracking and studies and also studying things like ocean currents affecting corals, where animals can find water and on and on.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

I posted in this one earlier today wonder where it went?

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

cooking - though it's highly gardening related.
also several kinds of fermentation - mostly kraut-style vegetable stuff and honey-based wines
foraging wild foods
music, playing and listening, many kinds
occasional deep dabbling with visual art stuff
hiking, canoeing

I'm not a huge fan of lavender with chocolate, but my wife makes awesome lavender/honey/cornmeal cookies.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Fishkeeping, cooking, painting and making masks sometimes, music/guitar, and I like hiking too but rarely get a chance to do it.

edelweiss

How do you make your masks and from what material. Sounds very interesting.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I forget the name of the material/brand I use. It is similar to plaster and you put it on your face to make the mold. Takes about 15-30 mins to harden and it comes off pretty easy.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

If I made a mask of my face it would be scarry!

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I feel I need to write this disclaimer.
The fireworks I have worked with were controlled under laws and regulations; before any one is allowed to make or shoot fireworks at a convention they must show adequate knowledge and training. The saying goes a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. The conventions and shows are done on a permit and are insured, a fire marshal inspects the site. We invite the local fire departments and police to come and watch the shows. I will never post formulas or how to make any device on the net as I do not want any one getting hurt or miss using them, this would bother me very much. I have been asked by people I know how to make stuff and no matter how they beg I tell them no and a little bit of knowledge is dangerous. There have been only a few people that I have brought into the club and into the guild and they were sane and safe. Fireworks can be dangerous and safety has to be the number one thought in your mind.

I have a friend that goes to the convention every year and when I retire I am thinking of going with him, right now I have a limited amount of time.

I have a friend that goes to the convention every year and when I retire I am thinking of going with him, right now I have a limited amount of time.[url]https://www.pgi.org/[/url]

Youtube link.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE4Ai1HY5bE[/url]

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I Ordered Adobe CS6 Production Premium Suite to upgrade from CS3 and I am upgrading Digital Performer to 8. CS6 came a day ago and I have been exploring it. DP8 comes later this week. CS6 production suite is a graphics, video, photography (Photoshop Extended), sound studio and special effects package. DP8 is a music sound studio that has tons of professional features, effects and virtual instruments. I have a number of 3rd party effects and virtual instruments that plug into DP. This software is amazing in how powerful it is. Are any of you hobbits into this sort of stuff?

Adobe CS6
[url]https://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/production.html[/url]

Digital Performer 8

[url]https://www.motu.com/products/software/dp[/url]

lorax
Greener Thumb

tomf wrote:
lorax wrote:After gardening (which I don't regard as a hobby - it's a way of life), there follows:
How cool you are Lorax.

Our club has rented gun clubs and had a blast. I have gone to week long conventions where the worlds pyros came. We did the Fort Vancouver 4th show for years, largest show this side of the USA, over 3000 mortars and tons more stuff. The insurance and permits are getting harder to get so this slows one down. Do you make your own stars?
Not at the moment, although I do know how. I haven't had a chance to play with gunpowder for a while, and if I get some free time between now and new year's I'll be in the coldroom for sure. There's a fireworks factory about 20 blocks from me who have kindly offered to let me use their facilities in return for some of my packing techinques, since they're in the Festival of Light this year and are hoping for a win. I'll probably make them some triple-delay six-colour UFOs, since I haven't seen those down here yet.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

Besides gardening
I like to cook.
I will can anything that I can get in the canner.
I have fished and hunted all over the country.
I am a competition Archer and have shot all over the country
I compete in pistol matches during the summer months.
I have a full time job in tech support and work part time at a gander Mountain in the Archery Dept. that's more like a hobby for me since I turn around and spend my paycheck there.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Besides gardening?

Increasing Republican emnity. Any political party willing to confine me based solely on my mobility disability, has earned my thumb in its eye any way I can get it there.

lorax
Greener Thumb

tomf wrote:I Ordered Adobe CS6 Production Premium Suite to upgrade from CS3 and I am upgrading Digital Performer to 8. CS6 came a day ago and I have been exploring it. DP8 comes later this week. CS6 production suite is a graphics, video, photography (Photoshop Extended), sound studio and special effects package. DP8 is a music sound studio that has tons of professional features, effects and virtual instruments. I have a number of 3rd party effects and virtual instruments that plug into DP. This software is amazing in how powerful it is. Are any of you hobbits into this sort of stuff?

Adobe CS6
[url]https://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/production.html[/url]

Digital Performer 8

[url]https://www.motu.com/products/software/dp[/url]
I've got CS6, but I'm definitely not a hobbit.... I love the graphics integration of it, and it blows my mind when I use it to mix sound.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

tomc wrote:Besides gardening?

Increasing Republican emnity. Any political party willing to confine me based solely on my mobility disability, has earned my thumb in its eye any way I can get it there.
"confine me based solely on my mobility disability"

I'd like to hear more. Will see if this is allowed or not. :wink:

Eric

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

[img][img]https://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/charliemv/Judge-Judy.jpg[/img][/img]

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Lorax yes I love the way every thing works together and how much faster it is, the new 3D rocks exp in AE. I have been playing around with CS6 PR, AF and PS the last few days, I am getting used to the new interface on PS and I like it. I mostly Mix and record sound in Digital performer, it is very powerful, the manual is almost 1200 pages; crazy!
My wife sings and plays guitar, piano. She is also an artiest; she is taking a class in figure drawing right now, had me pose. :oops:

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Sad news; my friend I was going to go to the Pyro conventions has only a few months to live, he has cancer.

edelweiss

My dear friend, may I say that? I am so sorry to hear about your friend. May you find strength within you and make the most of the time you 2 have together. My thoughts are with you... :cry:

LA47
Green Thumb

My sympathies for you and your friend. Such a horrible disease.

Burz

After gardening I play competitive softball, then fishing, disc golf, playing bass, listening to music, and reading.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”