gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Online farmers market, give this a look

I saw this at the Depot. This is quite an interesting idea. What do you market growers think about this?

https://money.cnn.com/video/technology/2012/09/27/n-farmigo-digital-farmers-market.cnnmoney

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It looks like a little bit of a difficult business model for the Farmigo company. The CSA (Consumer Supported Agriculture) idea is pretty darn good - if you are a serious produce grower interested in retail sales.

Connecting the CSA customer to the farm, as Farmigo would do it - I don't know why this middleman is needed.

There was a study done a few years ago that told us that the average farmers' market customer was coming from less than 1 mile away. It is truly a community experience for folks. Not everyone lives within 1 mile of a farmers' market but quite a few people do.

Okay, the customer drifts about from booth to booth. What's to keep them from making a CSA connection on their own? The availability of just such a farm business as a vendor - the only thing I can think of. If they are searching for a CSA farm to join and get those regular boxes of fresh produce thru the season and they can't find one at their local market, maybe they can travel to another market but I really doubt if they will leave their city and drive for miles to find one.

The CSA model isn't terribly uncommon but the whole idea is to show up each week to get your veggies. Few people are wanting to drive long distances to do that.

If there are 8 or 10 farmers' markets in your city and you just don't want to check them all out, I guess that Farmigo could help. I wouldn't be looking to invest anything in their business, tho'. Better to keep your consumer $'s for the farm and those boxes of veggies :) .

Steve

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Great reply. I am not a market farmer so I was looking to see what you thought.

Good points.

Next!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”