edelweiss

SKUNKS

I live in a relative new area, about 5 years and of course we new settlers shewed away skunks, raccoons and rabbits. This year has been very bad for skunks in our garden. Every hole we closed up, just to find next day another new entrance from Mr. Skunk (or Mrs .Skunk). Any idea how to get less visits without using unsafe methods? Hope to hear, sincerely Edelweiß!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I have put a radio tuned to the hard rock station in the corn patch to discourage skunks. Seems to work quite well. (That's enough to drive anything away!)

edelweiss

My neighbors would fall in a rampage, for our houses are side by side here. Oh do I miss my old country side.....

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

I am guessing you have grubs real bad as skunks just love those tender morsels! They love ground bee nests as well you might try something to reduce the grubs. Take away the food and they will look elsewhere.

edelweiss

Nope, no grubs or under ground nests, just coming back because it used to be their home, til we the people started building. Silly neighours keep their garbage cans outside unlocked, so raccoons and skunks have in the night their Smorgesboard!

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

Silly neighours keep their garbage cans outside unlocked.

Yep like I said take away their food and they wil look else where!

biwa

Taking away the food helps a lot. If you can't annoy it away with music, maybe try annoying it away with a yappy little dog. My neighbor has one of those and creatures occasionally move in under her shed, but they move out pretty quick because of the non-stop barking.

If it's just skunks, I wouldn't worry about it too much. They give you plenty of time to get away before they decide to spray. You have to be trying real hard to get sprayed by a skunk.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”