gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Silvery Fir Tree (turns out to be a cross)

[Read the second reply this turned out to be a cross but the stats are the same]

Wow I just keep finding great new plants. Well new to me. The Russian name for this is Серебристая Ель (Serebristaya El). It s a very compact plant growing 18 - 24 inches this would be great for pots though it is in my garden this year. It is also a determinate, which explains why there is a bucket load of ripe to almost ripe tomatoes on it right now. Though I have been getting fruit off of this for a while so. Tatiana's calls it Det.

The fruit are very tasty, mild and sweet, this would be in the slicer, canner category. The looks on these are amazing the pics don't do them justice. They are red with an almost iridescent - 3-D yellow hue on the tops. A very pretty fruit.

For all you container growers this is one to look at next year.

[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC06043.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC06044.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC06045.jpg[/img]
Last edited by gixxerific on Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

No one ever replied so I didn't think to change this thread. But I should now, the fruit above is NOT Silvery Fir Tree. It was an accidental cross in my favor, it was supposed to be SFT. The parentage is unkown. This is one hell of a plant as stated above. It has since been renamed "Donomater Dwarf" by a good friend and a long time breeder Bill Malin AKA Spudleafwillie who took interst in it. As far as we know this is an F1 pictured I have the F2 seeds for next year. I am anxious to see what comes out of this.

Dono

applestar
Mod

:D :clap:
How fun is that! Donomater Dwarf -- I love it!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Yeah 'ol Spuddy said we can't keep calling it SFT Outcross so he asked me if I would mind him naming it that.

This man is a legand who am I to say no? 8)

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

I love the look of those maters I might have to give them a try. I do like determinate tomatoes for canning and for farmers market sales

suncitylinda

Actually, Silvery Fir Tree is one of my favorite tomatoes and I nearly fell off my chair when I read your description of it as sweet! So, I was glad when I kept reading and see it is a cross. I would venture to say most people describe SFT as strongly acidic. It will be interesting to follow the growouts of the F2.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

And here I was, thinking "SFT" on the tomatoes stood for "Square Foot Tomato."

Rats. :lol:

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9
where it's too cool in the summer for me to grow decent tomatoes :x

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

If this pans out I would love seed. Silver fir tree has nice folage, short day and habitat, but not very nice looking tomatoes of various sizes and shapes (I do grow it every year, but your cross looks a lot better speaking as someone who has done some plant breeding over the years.) By the way, many of the discoveries are simply crosses of gene changes that someone notices and then cultivates to see what they really have that is how we got snap peas for example.
The tomatoes look very much like Celibrity (which is a bit fickle in this part of the country).
Best of luck

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”