Moonshadow

Portable renter's garden - help with container sizes

I just renewed my lease until March 2013, and we're hoping to move after that. TERRIBLE timing for a garden! Right now, we have two overcrowded raised beds (one with strawberries, one with tomatoes, peppers, and herbs) that I plan to abandon in favor of containers so I can move my garden to our new home.

After scanning through previous threads, I've able to come up with container sizes for some of the things I want to plant, but not others. So, here's what I want:

Onions (bulb and bunching)
Broccoli
Sweet peppers
Hot peppers
Snap peas
Carrots

And what I've found:

Bulb onions - no info

Bunching onions - self-explanatory

Broccoli - 1 plant per 5 gal container

Sweet peppers - 2 gal container (one plant per?)

Hot peppers - no info (assuming same as sweet?)

Snap peas - no info

Carrots - no info, but I'm guessing a 5 gallon bucket is plenty deep

What size containers do I need for these items? Other helpful hints would be hot. :)

(Another question: Can I grow snap peas inside after the spring if I don't have lights? I'd really like to have a constant supply for stir-fry, but I can't afford a light set-up at the moment.)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Here's a crazy idea.

Plant in wheelbarrows. Drill a few holes in the low end for drainage. If filled close to the top, should be deep enough for all your choices. Wheelbarrows are a little unsteady so you may need to support. When it is time, just wheel into the moving truck. :wink: :)

I would use a light soil mix.

Eric

Moonshadow

I've seen people use old wheelbarrows as planters for flowers, but I didn't consider it for my purposes. I think my BF's dad has an old one laying around, and I'm sure there are other people trying to get rid of some old rusted-out ones. Thanks for the idea!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Wheelbarrows aren't a bad idea, but I would caution you to use contractor's wheelbarrows, as opposed to the more shallow homeowner's type. The more shallow ones might not provide enough room for the roots to keep the plants healthy. JMO.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Oops, Yes I shouldn't assume everyone uses wood handled quality wheelbarrows. :wink:

Eric

applestar
Mod

A lot is going to depend on the variety.
For instance, Anne is a 2-2.5' snap pea. Sugar Snap grows to over 6' tall.

Sweet peppers -- My Golden Summer Hybrid Bell pepper s doing well with approx. 4 gal for each -- they are in deep window boxes. I would go with 4 gal pickle buckets which are basically shorter and wider 5 gal buckets. But Corno Di Toro -- which I suppose could be called sweet pepper -- planted in the ground next to more GSH Bell peppers are good 12" taller.

I have productive Jalapeños in 3 gal containers, but they are stunted compared to when they were in the ground last year. And I'm getting good production and size from Poblano peppers in the same window boxes -- maybe 6" bigger plants than the bells. But I have little Brazilian Lemon hot peppers in 1 gal containers that seem to be doing OK though they would do better in 3 gal containers..

Moonshadow

I posted on craigslist looking for old wheelbarrows.... If I do get some, I'm assuming they will be rusty. Will this be a problem for the soil? I'm guessing iron won't hurt anything, but I've been wrong before.

applestar: I'm guessing those pickle buckets are something I might be able to get from a deli or some such? I was going to try to scout a grocery stores out this weekend and see if anyone had anything suitable. All of the buckets I have right now are old paint or pool chemical ones.... Not food safe.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”