linlaoboo
Green Thumb

shipping starter/cuttings

Has anyone successfully shipped young plants from the east coast to west? I'm thinking to ship something from NJ to SoCal and the concern is how they'll do inside the air plane. Ground shipment is out of question since it takes too long. Already checked CA's laws and they don't prohibit ficus which I'm trying to ship, it's just subject to surface soil inspection for pests and that's if you're driving accross the border I take it.

https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/pe/transport_animals_plants.html

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I've gotten rooted cutting and seedlings from Brent at Evergreen Gardenworks shipped from CA to NH successfuly.

If I have a but, its that was in April or November.

I doubt if a summer shipment is the "when" you want a mail order of any live plant.

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

Thanks Tom,

There's definitely risks with the when. I'll find out after a few weeks and hopefull it'll turn out ok.

SvetSad

I've received things in the mail from other parts of the country ;)

probably the best packaged rooted plant I've gotten... The roots were in plastic with some damp sphagnum moss and sand, while the top of the plant was wrapped in news paper. (that's not including "professionally" shipped plants)

manofthetrees

the best time to ship them is the dormancy period in sphangnum moss and packing peanuts. ive had 2 trees shipped in late summer from cali to new york and the were held in quarentien for 2 weeks cuz the box said "live aquatic animals" on it ...not the brightest idea ...after 3 weeks in a box and sitting who knows where, they were fine

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”