Brandywinegirl

Everything Old is NEW Again!!

Mysad tomato plants - some died. The one's on their last leg seem to have bounced back because the weather is normal - 80's - 90's. The bottom of the plants have crunchy dead leaves, but the top is thriving!!! Yippie!! I am in Southeastern Pennsylvania. Anyone else having the same results? :clap: :clap: :clap:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Same here hard to belive the extreme drough and heat I have anything. But yes mine are crunchy down low and healthy as all get out up top In fact I need to get out and put some extensions on my cages they have surpassed the 8 foot mark.

Things were going crazy here despit the weather but for some reason it has slowed down but still going. Hoping the get there second wind and start pumping them out again.

I also have some fall toms planted as well as some F2 dwarf crosses inside for growout.

Good luck to you

Brandywinegirl

That's great!! Nice to know I am not alone - we finally got real rain this week. It was a miracle! Enjoy!! :D

cubs204

Ive noticed after a 3 ft. gap (guessing 100+ weather) of no fruit on the plants that I'm finally getting baby toms again at the tops. Oh, and my green tomatoes left on the bottoms of the plants are finally ripening in large bunches again! We had a high of 79 and a low of 52 Saturday. It was glorious.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

It aint over till it's over. :flower:

mattie g
Green Thumb

Yup - I'm having some similar results.

I have to say that, despite the heat and relative dryness in my area (which is very localized, as the rest of the DC metro region has generally gotten a lot of rain), my garden is going gangbusters. I had plants last year that were pushing 12', with all of them (aside from Romas) being upwards of 8' easily, with a lot of tomatoes on them, to boot. This season I was concerned that things would slow down with all of the heat, but since most of the tough weather came earlier in the season than last year my plants have had time to recover. My San Marzanos are pushing 5', as is my remaining Mortgage Lifter. My Brandywies are 7' and 9', respectively, while my Cherokee Purples are around the same. I have one Valencia that's already outgrown its 10' bamboo stake!

And despite all the growth I mentioned above, I'm finding a lot of new growth from the bottoms of my plants right now. Usually what I'm seeing is new, strong stems developing from the ends of trusses. It's amazing - I'll be out there one day, looking around, picking, persusing, but not seeing any anomalous growth. I then go out the next day and I see new stems and flowers where I didn't see them 24 hours earlier! I also have on Valencia in a pot that developed blight, so I chopped off the top of the plant above the remaining four tomatoes, leaving about 3' at the bottom. I did this about four weeks ago. Lo and behold, a new stem started growing from near the bottom and it now has flowers on it.

It's been a wild season. Of the remaining ten plants I have, I've harvested upwards of 50 pounds of fruit, easily. I'm in a relative lull right now, as the flowers that developed during the big heat in June and early July would have been good-sized fruit by now. But I've been seeing a good amount of fruit formation in the last couple weeks, so I'm hoping for a strong push as the season starts coming to and end in October!

Jeffross1968

Yep, kind of wondering if I shouldn't have tore up some of those plants weeks ago. I really thought I was looking at some kind of fungal disease, blight or septoria...everyone agreed. We went through crazy high heat for this area for a bit, and then torrential rain falls for weeks, nearly every day. All the plants started dying from the bottom up. Leaves would yellow, brown, and then the stems would literally weaken so much that merely touching them would break them right off.

The heat has backed off. We're having sunny, rainless days with highs in the 70's to low 80's, with nights in the 50's. Yesterday, I noticed all kinds of new flowers and some new baby tomatoes at the tops of the plants. Crazy!

So I'm wondering if those symptoms were a result of the high heat, or the crazy rainfall. Who knows...but at least I should get some extra tomatoes before first freeze...more than I thought. Just hope it stays like this for a few weeks.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”