brooklyn boy
Cool Member

Pepper turning dark ?

My peppers just started growing and one of them are changing to a dark (purple/black/brown) color ,its not shaded between any leaves of the plant (its at the top corner) so I assume its only the sun am I right? and if its only the sun would it harm the pepper in anyway
Last edited by brooklyn boy on Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

ThePepperSeed
Cool Member

Yes, it's likely just a little sun burn.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I wouldn't think so. Sun scald usually makes them light, tan/ beige and thin skinned, crispy.

[img]https://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/IPM/images/peppers/disorders/sunscald/peppers_sun_scald1_zoom.jpg[/img]

sunscalded pepper.

Is the dark only at the bottom end? Is it kind of mushy? Then it is likely blossom end rot. Otherwise post a picture....

ThePepperSeed
Cool Member

I was going off the comment about it being kind of purple. Maybe sun tan is a better description that sun burn :-)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

That pepper in the pic has a problem.

I have often seen bell peppers get dark purple or near black on one side. It doesn't seem to harm the fruit at all. The area is not soft or decomposed at all. If this is what it is don't worry. Pretty normal.

brooklyn boy
Cool Member

jal_ut wrote:
I have often seen bell peppers get dark purple or near black on one side. It doesn't seem to harm the fruit at all. The area is not soft or decomposed at all. If this is what it is don't worry. Pretty normal.
this is exactly what I have and the pepper is at 1/4 the regular size and at this early stage to get the bottom half changed to some dark color I'm concerned it will fall off the plant before it will get a chance to grow the fall size

mattie g
Green Thumb

brooklyn boy wrote: this is exactly what I have and the pepper is at 1/4 the regular size and at this early stage to get the bottom half changed to some dark color I'm concerned it will fall off the plant before it will get a chance to grow the fall size
Sounds like it could be blossom end rot.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

what variety are you growing?

there are colored peppers . . . .

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

^that.

brooklyn boy
Cool Member

Dillbert wrote:what variety are you growing?
Sweet Carnival Mix (https://www.burpee.com/vegetables/peppers/sweet-peppers/bell/pepper-sweet-carnival-mix-prod000826.html) however I'm not 100% sure that its a purple pepper because it would only start to change purple when it reached almost its full size additionally colors start to change from the shoulder downwards not at the bottom.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”