PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

When to sow beans in zone 9/10?

Hi,

I have a trellis that has pickling cucumbers growing. I think they are dying out. Not every productive anymore and just looks in bad shape too. I was thinking of taking it out and putting in beans to grow into the Fall. I got Kentucky Wonder Pole, Rattlesnake beans, and some Italian pole bean. Trellis is about 6 foot high and 3.5 foot wide. I was looking at a guide and it says to sow beans in August. What do you think? What bean do you think I should grow?

Avonnow
Green Thumb

hello, sometimes it works, sometimes not so much. I have grown rattlesnake beans all year here sometimes it is good sometimes bad, this year the heat has been horrible. After the spring initial burst the bugs killed what was left, I had some white flies. I started more they looked great and then we had rain , too much in a short period and it just killed them. I have started some again, and they look great, so who can say, my luck will have a tropical storm roll through with enough punch to kill them right when they flower. last year was much better, I got a steady bunch of beans all year. Good luck let me know how they turn out. :lol:

applestar
Mod

I think this trellis might not be big enough for Rattlesnake. I read that they grow very tall so I planted some at the base of my extra-tall 7' tomato trellis along the SW wall. I was worried that the tomatoes would get ahead of them but the vines grew quickly and reached the top of the trellis....

Then I realized my mistake. All the beans are hanging up at the top of the trellis and I can't reach them. :roll: I guess I'm going to be picking them dry at the end of the season.... :? Next year, I'm planting them under one of my best pole bean trellises which are arch trellises -- the beans all hang down under the arches and are easy to find and pick.:wink:

With pole beans, they race to outgrow shade, so you could provide shade if it's too hot. I think soaking the beans before sowing helps.

Tonio
Green Thumb

I planted bush beans: French fillet, blue lake & adzuki on 7/24.
If they don't work out, I just chop em up for soil prep for the winter greens and possibly some broccoli.

Startin' the cilantro end of this month-ish :)

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I have been growing bush beans all season. They have been growing pretty good. Yeah I am getting ready to do some cilantro too.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”