barrelslime

Picked these today

Picked all these plus 1 more basket. Looks like tomorrow is canning day.
[img]https://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af233/barrelslime/garden/maters.jpg[/img]

These are a few jars of juice we did last week.
[img]https://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af233/barrelslime/garden/juice.jpg[/img]

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Oh, fun! All I have are some green ones.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

Whoaaaaaaaa!

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

When you say juice is that drinking juice or like to make sauce?

barrelslime

We picked just a few days ago and canned juice. I thought we would have about half a table of maters today, but I couldnt believe these all turned so fast. We'v still got lots of green fruit and I hope they don't all turn at once. I'm amazed we have this many tomatoes with all the over 100 degree temps this year. It has not rained here in over 3 months. WATER, WATER, WATER..............

barrelslime

PunkRotten wrote:When you say juice is that drinking juice or like to make sauce?
Drinking juice. We use it for chili, and other cooking recipes

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

What kind of tomatoes are you using?

barrelslime

Better Boy, Delicious, and Roma
I'm disappointed with the size of the fruit. They are usually 1/3 bigger than these maters, but with the drought and heat I'm thankfull I have any at all.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Well than, that there is a nice harvest. Myabe you could come help me with my canning. I'm in the area. Somewhat I am west of St Lou.

I am in the same boat as you weather wise and I can't belive the amount I have been getting in my small garden. Good luck to you and me. My leaves have been curled since........well I can't remember that far back. -helpsos-

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

That's what it's all about... I love it very good....

applestar
Mod

When I process juicy tomatoes that are not paste tomatoes, I end up with a pot full of juice that I strain out. Is that what you are bottling? (I believe you are supposed to add 2tbs of lemon juice and 1tbs -- or is that 1tsp? ... can't remember without looking it up -- of salt per quart before hot water bath canning)

I run the remaining pulp and skin through a medium hole foodmill to make tomato sauce, etc.

barrelslime

Here is what they turned into.
[img]https://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af233/barrelslime/garden/juice2.jpg[/img] 12 quarts of juice.
[img]https://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af233/barrelslime/garden/maters2.jpg[/img] 16 quarts of tomatoes.

barrelslime

applestar wrote:When I process juicy tomatoes that are not paste tomatoes, I end up with a pot full of juice that I strain out. Is that what you are bottling? (I believe you are supposed to add 2tbs of lemon juice and 1tbs -- or is that 1tsp? ... can't remember without looking it up -- of salt per quart before hot water bath canning)

I run the remaining pulp and skin through a medium hole foodmill to make tomato sauce, etc.
We use the juice for drinking, chili, mexican food, casseroles, and Bloody Marys. We just quarter and blanch in boiling water, than process thru the juicer removing the skins and seeds. Jar with 1 teaspoon of salt and boil bath for 45 minuets.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”