makushr1

Privacy Screen

My backyard backs up to some new town houses, 2 stories tall. I'm looking to add something to create privacy, but not sure what to get. I was thinking some crape mrytles, since they can grow fairly tall and wide and are nice to look at. The problem is, I have a big pecan tree in the back that will block almost all the sun. Anything planted there will probably get full sun from about 11-2. I don't think that's enough for crape mrytles, especially if I want them to grow big and fast.

I'm now thinking about bamboo. I know there's some issue with planting bamboo, seeing how it's a grass and can spread like crazy. I read there are 2 kinda, clumping and running. Running, from my understanding, is the one that gives you the issue of spreading quickly and out of control. Clumping, however, might not be the best for a privacy screen. I know I can put some sort of barrier around where I don't want the running bamboo to go, but that's going to take alot of time and effort and money to dig up 3 feet of dirt, 2 feet wide, and probably 25 yards long!

Any suggestions on the bamboo, or other good privacy screens that can handle direct sun for only a few hours, and indirect for a few more?

Hortman

Hello makushr1. Ken here in the Chicago area. Welcome to the Forum.
Most clumping bamboos are tropical or sub-tropical. Since you live in Houston,
that shouldn’t be a problem. They are hardy from 15-32*F. They grow to
15-35 feet tall. They also can take part shade. Check out the Sunset Western Garden Book
for a whole page listing of clumping bamboos. Good luck and take care.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

ALL bamboo should be handled as an invasive plant. When you put any in, be sure to use deep metal flashing on both sides of the planting trench to contain root spread.

From an experienced bamboo fighter....

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

tomf
Super Green Thumb

cynthia_h wrote:ALL bamboo should be handled as an invasive plant. When you put any in, be sure to use deep metal flashing on both sides of the planting trench to contain root spread.

From an experienced bamboo fighter....

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9
Words to the wise!

Return to “Landscaping”