SvetSad

Root Pouch

I was looking for nursery pots online, and came across something called Root Pouch, and it's a bio-degredable bag for planting.

Anyways I did a bad thing and decided to spend less money on plastic nursery pots, than a little more for something enviromently friendly :( :(

But if anyone has tried Root Pouch, I'd like to hear some feedback!

also [url=https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/root-pouch-grey-fabric-pot-3-4-year/nursery-containersurl]here's[/url] a link for those that haven't tried it but would like to :)

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I haven't used them, but I have to say I'm not impressed. They either will take a very long time to biodegrade, or else they don't have very much plastic in them. JMO

SvetSad

That is true, but I'm sure they are better than standard nursery pots. And as far as recycling goes, Indiana is one of the "least green states". On that page they also have some that degrade in 15-18 months, I was just looking at something longer lasting. :-)

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Well, everyone will surely have their own opinion on the subject. I've been gardening for many decades, and I've tried a lot of different types of containers. I have yet to find one that beats the standard nursery pot. Some plants do best in terra cotta, others will thrive in plastic. I use both. The terra cotta ones are fairly short lived, but I've had some of my plastic containers for over 20 years. :)

plantman85
Newly Registered

I use Root Pouch products and they are great!
You can re-use them, and they told me they start to degrade when they have soil on both sides - which means in the landfills.

My plants also love growing in them, I would recommend them to anyone and everyone to try. Fabric pots are the way to go, and so far I have had a great experience with Root Pouch products.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Would you show us some pics of your plants growing in these fabric pots? I'm just curious how well they're doing for you. I'd like to see them. :)

SvetSad

About a month ago at a friend's cookout, someone brought A LOT of nursery pots with tomato plants. So a bunch of the people from the neighborhood got a few plants each.

I bought some 5 gal root pouches and replanted my tomato plants. It's been about a month and all my plants are growing great. Even tho the weather has been in 100's and no rain. I understand that 5 gal pouch is more space than the shallow 1 gal they were in before, but the plants seem to really like their container. I will post some pictures later.

:)

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”